Good grief

‘these books’ - how did I miss that?

You seem to have a bias towards the left - no bad thing!

I think I used to think of myself as slightly Right of Centre when I was in business, but maybe a bit more humanitarian since?

ha ha… surely Mike was referring to your injured arm… :hugs: :hugs:

Never thought of that! That extra chunk of metal? Hmm, I must admit to thinking about what would happen if I walked past something magnetic!! Superman Clark flying across the road?

In case anyone was wondering - yes there is noticable extra weight on the arm.

I was born in the 60’s and when I was young (sixish) I used to think of myself as ‘well off’ as we used to go abroad on holiday. I now know I wasn’t. I along with my brother (who committed suicide at 20) used to get left at home at quite young ages while my mum and dad went out for the evening. One of my first memories was screaming the place down at Butlins when I woke up (I was 4) and my parents were nowhere to be seen. My Dad has died, my Mum, she turned out to be a dreadful woman once my Dad died, no time for anybody. They were too wrapped up in themselves is how I now see it. We all have our crosses to bear (and no I’m not in the least bit religious - just a saying!)

Apart from a few very unusual exceptions, implants are non-magnetisable. No need to worry.
But a metal detector would probably find it. So warn them in advance at the airport, or you might find yourself flat on your face with a gun pointing at your head!

Owing to his size and weight (6’6" and 24 stone) my brother’s knees gave out and he had metal plates in each, which as you say triggered alarms at airports - notably in the USA, where he routinely had to drop his trousers. He got tired of all the hassles over there although he did like America - once you got past the Customs louts ( his words not mine) He finally gave up on Flying anyway as seats seemed to get smaller, queues and delays longer, and any pleasure disappeared. Plus old age!!

Gilly - you have more than proved my point. A major reason for my decision not to have children (three wives agreeing!) was my own deep reservations about my own capacity to be a good father.

I have never regretted the decision. Better safe than bugger up children’s lives.

1 Like

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.
(but I take exception to his final verse.)

The worst parents are “perfect parents”.
They set an unattainable standard that their children cannot aspire to. Those children can spend their whole lives haunted by the fear that they are not good enough.
For those who have fallible, inadequate parents, there is always the possibility of living a better life and avoiding the mistakes they made.

Children are resilient, most of us learn how to survive.

I had a very good friend and colleague in the 70s/80s (sadly no longer with us) who was brought up as an orphan. He self educated and achieved great things this way and was a great influence on me both at work and in our private lives.

We do indeed… most of us… :thinking:

Learning how to survive comes first… then, if we are lucky… learning how to enjoy living comes eventually … somewhere along the line.

1 Like

There is truth in this, but a life of constant ‘survivalist’ vigilance against real or imagined threats is exceptionally damaging, and the cause IMO of lives scarred by chronic anxiety and the root of much morbid depression and aggressive behaviour.

2 Likes

but there’s always hope… which some of us have in abundance… :hugs: :hugs:

For @Stella “there’s always hope… which some of us have in abundance… :hugs: :hugs:

And that’s good for you, may you never lose it dear Stella. One can genuinely rejoice for you.

But hope is not a transferable commodity. It comes from having one’s expectations fulfilled: to be understood, to be loved and accepted, to choose . That doesn’t play out for all.

Every night and every morn, some to sweet delight are born. Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night. To paraphrase Blake.

1 Like

And he certainly knew the score!
But it is interesting that unhappy people are often the most creative.

Perhaps the need a way to express their despair and creativity is the way to do it

Life is not quite so clear cut, Peter…

and some are born to hell-on-earth… but hope sees them through, eventually… I am very glad to say… :hugs:

2 Likes

How could it be different, Stella? :hugs:

1 Like

Not always Stella. The surface does not always reveal the demons inside.

1 Like