Good news for diabetics

Then as adults its up to them to say. One things is a cert, medication for same has been dished out for more than half a century and cured none just alleviated a few symptoms and created a few more.
At least now a bit of people power is changing the horizon for many and doctors contrained by the medical practices previously beyond comment are now being examined far more closely.
No one I know of of heard of has ever got sick from low carb high fat, so what is the risk? Experiment a little. We now have far more evidence of people getting healthy on what they have been told to avoind for the last 50 yrs.
Moving beyond that to a heathier mediterranian diet and away from processed additive man made junk is also far better from the latest gut microbiome reports

absolutely spot on :+1:
I alluded to that in my earlier response - also, as I am permanently in France (with no desire to return to the UK), and no longer expect the NHS to provide ongoing health management, that also has to be taken into account, as I have found the two health care systems are totally different - my preference being for France (of course).
As for T2 diabetic care when I was in UK, it was a joke. No really serious aid from my GP surgery whereas here, all sorts of things have come into play and the condition has been approached with considerable seriousness by every single health care professional I have come into contact with - at every level.
Mind you, I too have taken matters very seriously after suffering a stroke and being told by the doctor in hospital on admission that I needed to change my lifestyle. I stopped drinking alcohol immediately (not just “cutting back”) and that has made significant changes. My diet is carefully controlled; I have lost weight and it is now maintained at a healthy level.

6 Likes

That’s good to hear Graham, and yes I understand how differently the backward looking NHS medicate forever without seriously looking at anything else, GP’s are human pill dispensers it seems. Good you feel you can talk about it! The T2 stokes etc are not far away from the symptoms suffered by many and there is an understanding of the mechanics now. Low level inflamation being understood far more which is great.

1 Like

I am interested to know your professional qualifications, in particular those in endocrinologiy and diabetics

2 Likes

If only my comments will help encourage people who may be at risk and prevent them becoming in worse state before it is too late, then my efforts will not be in vain. Like prostate (or for that matter, any type of) cancer, getting it diagnosed and treated early is the key. Going into denial mode helps no-one.

4 Likes

Seen that far to often :confused:

3 Likes

No qualifications in either, however as an engineer I understand cause and effect. I am also able to read and understand what others who are qualified are saying and the biomechanics behind the treatment.
Due to pre diabetic symptoms and a high level of visceral body fat I took a particular interest in the subject.

Those that are qualified in said subjects have the benefit of many many years of medicating as thats what you must do, then as the science has evolved looking into the mechanisms and altering the way the issues are managed with pretty good results.

But did you read around the subject or what you wanted to hear

1 Like

Neither really, I tried/try, to be as objective as possible. That is also working my way through those who dont agree with the hypothesis in order to understand their points. There are some amazing explanations regarding our hormones and how some things work in ways they didnt understand a few years back.
Biggest shocks came from those with disclosures and the huge money they receive so hardly surprising.
Biggest challenges for Keto is often from vegan quarters, I find that particularly interesting as they approach from different sides but have similar outcomes although some people respond better to keto and others to vegetarian/vegan diets one thing they both have in common is avoiding industrial food junk food.
For myself, found it easy to loose the visceral fat and a fair bit of non visceral so again a bit of a re set. The work done by some on alzeimers and autophagy is pretty ground breaking also cancer drugs that respond better with autophagy and intermittent fasting.

The timing of these talks couldnt have been better, enjoy for those interested.

Well it’s good to get everyone talking, always helps, especially with diabetes.

Since no one has answered my question, I assume there are no type 1s on here or, if there are, they don’t use a pump - not that I do either.

I suppose my question was irrelevant in a way, because without any French involvement in the trial, it’ll be a while before there’s even a chance of it being available here

Being blunt, some folks should stay in the car showroom. Jack of all trades and master of none falls to mind.
One of my Engineering projects was the Abbott Libre Freestyle sensor, transferring the sensor from fag packet sketches to point of sale. Another project was with a manufacturer of Insulin and adrenaline autojects. I know some of the problems of Diabetes sufferers but by no means all. I cannot and would not give anyone information on how when what and why when it involves such illnesses.

Just my tuppence on this.

2 Likes

No I dont think it was in any way. Just because there is no obvious French involvement doesnt mean the French medical industry doesnt know about it. You can be sure they do. Unfortunately the Regulatory side of things works slower than the device side. The CRO’s and DRO’s normally take around 4 -5 years to complete trials and then continue with the Life cycle management which all devices and drugs have to comply with so if the information from the CRO’s is favourable then it might be available on the French system as well. At the end of the day a lot has to do with the money.

1 Like

But thats enough about GP’s they do what they can based on their knowledge when trained, which on most cases is less than 3 hours on nutrition.
The continuous glucose monitors are the biggest leap forward for health management. Although text books show sugar/carbohydrates it is how an individual reacts to the food that is facinating. One persons glucose level may stay flat while anothers tops out on the same meal and portion size. Individual recommendations could now be offered inline with a gut microbiome analysis. That way it will be posdible to deal with the problems and not just the symptoms.

@Rocam & @Corona - Thanks for your input. As I said earlier, I don’t use a pump, but I’m thinking that as I get even older it will have to be the way to go, regardless of how carefully I control my diet.
I appreciate there are professionals I can and will talk to about this, but it’s good to have some insight beforehand.
Thanks again.

I found these articles
 they don’t describe an implant, but the devices are termed “pancrĂ©as artificiel”. It looks they are or soon will be available in France. It is worth asking your MT about the criteria for getting access to such a device.

1 Like

That’s very interesting, seeing as it’s being described thus in the UK: “NHS England says it is the first nationwide test of the technology in the world”, yet it is and has been available in France.

I still can’t see the difference between that (the UK one) and a pump, especially as “The hybrid system is not completely automated, because the amount of carbohydrates being eaten at mealtimes needs to be inputted.”

I’ll see what my MT has to say next time I have a rdv.

1 Like

Which sounds like a problem as different people react differently to exactly the same food. One persons blood sugar will rise another wont change. This was discovered by a professor and his wife wearing glucose monitors and they have tested this many many times over, so going backwards and logging carbohydrates is questionable.