Government info and advice : Coronavirus

Yes, indeed. In nursing Preliminary Training School in the 1950s our first practical lessons were in Hygiene. Hand washing, clean uniforms, but especially environmental hygiene had priority over other clinical skills.

We had to clean the practice suite top to bottom before lessons started: ‘damp dusting’ of all surfaces, the floor was strewn with damp tea leaves to collect under-bed dust after beds had been stripped and rubber mattresses disinfected with carbolic acid solution. Domestics would snarl “Get out of my way nurse!” if one tarried at the metal bedside lockers with one’s damp rag.

Bathrooms were scoured, and rubber bladder catheters soaking in carbolic tubs were freed of gunge and hung up to dry, ready for re-use. ‘Waste not Want not’ was the Golden Rule, and used bandages were washed and re-rolled for use on other limbs, heads and torsos.

Door knobs were burnished with Brasso. After this was done, the blackened rags had to be washed by hand and hung up to dry on the bathrail.

Sister’s desk was polished. My first ward sister kept a tin of Harrod’s furniture polish for her desk top. It was considered a test of one’s having internalised the Rules of Hygiene to be given this task. If one did not get a rebuke, one had passed. A haughty sniff from Sister suggested a bare pass had been achieved.

Beds had to be spaced at Nightingale-ordained positions, measured by Sister’s rule, to prevent cross infection. Sash windows were opened at the top to allow the stale air to escape. Alternate windows were opened at the bottom to provide an up-draught. This was called the Hinks Rule.
Patients who complained of a cold draught were sometimes given a tubular gauze helmet to wear if their hair was sparse. Such hats were in Sister’s gift to dispense.

Cross infection was very rare. Purulence the cardinal sin. We washed our hands till they were red raw. No-one wore rubber gloves. There were no paper towels in those days, no disposable wipes. Incontinence was cleaned up with tow, a coarse brown fibrous material pulled off an all-purpose roll. We always used bare hands for such tasks, and sometimes a rubber apron.

Infection was regarded as a failure. The only antibiotics available were crystalline penicillin, streptomycin, and a handful of sulphomamides. During my initial training tetracycline was introduced for the first time.

Just a historical perspective, maybe of some interest in the current situation, from a living witness to how complacent society has become?

1 Like

Surely it’s just basic hygeine to wash your hands when you have been out and come back in to the home? I have always done this.
It makes sense to do this as thoroughly as they suggest whenever you return home from being anywhere other members of the public have been. I don’t think it’s wise to dismss it.

2 Likes

Now only 15 minutes from us -

Don’t panic!

I certainly don’t dismiss sensible advice on hand-washing, as is your own, and that of other contributors on the theme: it is practicable and intelligible. You couch it in terms readily understood by most people. I appreciate your advice. It could be posted in every shop, bank and supermarket, perhaps along these lines:

"We do everything we can to uphold the highest standards of cleanliness on our premises, our staff put your well-being and protection first in everything they do. Help us to keep everyone safe: when you finish your shopping and get home, wherever you’ve been, wash your hands thoroughly before doing anything else.

You know it makes sense! "

I doubt any businesses will do it though. Bad for business!

Don’t most people wash (their hands or more): on getting up (in the shower), after going to the loo, before preparing food, before eating anything, after meals, after feeding animals, gardening, doing any sort of work, before going to bed, after going shopping etc when you get home? And I have probably missed some out…

1 Like

Probably the answer is yes, but it is washing your hands after coming into contact with other people and what they might have touched which is so important.

2 Likes

Yes, you have. . . . !

Frankly, Véronique, I really don’t think most English people do wash their hands routinely, although African always do before a meal, sharing the water in a communal washbowl which is passed round the eaters, but using no soap, and not drying the hands (which are used for eating, minus cutlery).

I think the same applies in the Middle East.

I never saw my mother wash her hands, or my father, although he gave his hair a lot of attention. It’s worth recalling that people of that generation grew up in homes that had no running water inside the house, only a communal tap in an outside courtyard.

When I was a child there was no hot running water in our home until I was in my late teens, and an immersion heater was installed. There was a stone sink in the scullery with a single cold tap.

I’ve not seen the local people here in Normandy, those whose homes I’ve visited, being very bothered about personal hygiene when it comes to the table. One is never invited to wash one’s hands before eating. Toilets don’t have a sink in older houses.

I’m not saying people are dirty, but I do think there is an undue concern about ‘personal hygiene’ these days, and I believe it is driven by the commercial interests of the corporate giants like Unilever and Palmolive-Colgate.

People don’t have a duty to others not to stink, and stinking is a subjective experience, no-one’s business but one’s own. Some of the nicest folk I know pong a bit. :hugs::smiley:

2 Likes

OOh - so you are round the corner from us - in the summer!!

La Mouche - all the time!

Eh???

That’s where we live, 50320 La Mouche.
Near La-Haye-Pesnel.

Ok - got it

Us - genets

By the bay, view of M St. M.

at the risk of being flagged by the community as inappropriate…

8 Likes

cheers Graham… surely I won’t be the only one, now humming gently… with a smile on my face…

1 Like

Can’t resist this one…

3 Likes

I was brought up essentially by people who had grown up in India and Indochina - perhaps there is more emphasis on washing. Certainly my Indochinese great-grandmother thought Europeans tended to smell and be dirty.

Perhaps also due to the amount of meat they ate, as likely to be a lot more than your granny? I think that influences personal smell too…

2 Likes