Grass and mowing

I’ve used Manomano fairly extensively and never had a problem with them.

Having said that, if there was a choice between Manomano and Amazon, I would choose Amazon because their return policies and procedures are very good.

BTW, I have had a Makita DML431Z (the smaller version of ‘yours’) for 4 years now and are extremely happy with it.

Every single one of the issues I’ve had with ManoMano have been based around the fact that, like every large retailer these days seemingly, their site is a marketplace and you’re just as likely to be buying from an entirely different business as you are from ManoMano itself, which to be very fair to MM is clearly labelled so it’s not as if they hide it. I’ve had bad communications, delivery delays, faulty products, difficult returns, all due to not actually buying from MM itself but third parties, which is less of an issue than it probably reads, I’m happy to keep using them as they’re a great site/company, and have only had issues with a tiny percentage of my purchases, I just thought it was worth flagging up. But as @Nigel-at-BUF-House says, I’d consider Amazon superior if you’re happy using them as marketplace or direct from Amazon, you can usually contact their CS and they will cajole third party sellers into action if you’re having issues.

Since I recently got myself a battery driven lawn mower I have fallen in love with it! No cables to get snagged or trip over, no petrol engines that won’t start or need maintenance, and so on.

Powerful and easy to use and no worries about battery time. It has two battery compartments but only needs one battery to power the mower. Satisfies my requirements perfectly.

All I need do is manage the charging of one or both batteries, which in my case has instilled a new and refreshing sense of mowing discipline.

2 Likes

This is my first mower in France 30 years ago. Only had a small garden back then. Looks like this mower type has recently reappeared in the form of its big brother, battery-driven. But only for very proud lawn owners or professionals, probably.

5 Likes

Surprisingly enough, I’m being congratulated by neighbours for NOT mowing a patch, which I’m actually itching to tidy, but there is now a Bee Orchid growing amongst the assorted flowering weeds… so no action for the foreseeable future… and with the heat, leave it until even longer.

Jardin. Stop à la tonte systématique !

3 Likes

This’ll take you back a bit.

A lot of preparatory work probably but a low maintenance lawn is achievable in a tapestry lawn, which I’ve never heard of before.

The trouble is you can’t really walk on it, but nice to look at and only needs mowing three or four times a year.

2 Likes

Do you remember the noise of those? My grandfather used to maintain the glassy smooth surface of a bowling green using one.

Tapestry lawns are fine if you have a meticulous gardener, or nothing else to do in your life. Otherwise they are a maintenance nightmare. Sure may not need mowing much but have to get moisture levels spot on for the different zones and be an eagle for weeds seeds. Takes about 3-4 years to get to a stable low maintenance state. Stick to something like low growing clover, and let the bees have a nice local restaurant.

I’ll go along with that. Still haven’t achieved my big bumblebee garden, so my little front garden would be ideally suited. Easy to maintain for a non-gardener!

I remember the steely rasp of blades sliding against a hard steel edge - self-sharpening.

I have loads of bumblebees this year. Well, it can’t be the same one coming into the house 3 times a day and hovering round outside.

They are huge, B52-shaped and look a long and fat black 1 and a half inches long. I’m still trying to work out how that shape can fly.

I’ve rescued a few when it’s been cold. They can’t fly very well fully loaded in cold weather. I think they fly like helicopters!

Could they be these? Looking for a mate and a home? Lovely things…

5 Likes

They are glorious and their wings sparkle in the sunlight, like jewels… we always seem to have a lot loudly buzzing around the gardens.

2 Likes

Mine are bigger and solid black. They may have the same quest in mind though - a mate and a home. They must like it here because many more this year

1 Like

Here’s a couple of our regulars…

2 Likes

I’ve got two lawn mowers a battery operated mower for the large lawn at the back and an electric Bosch for three small lawns at the front. These small lawns are full of trees shrubs and flower borders so a light machine is essential. Unfortunately the belt on the Bosch seems to have broken. I haven’t time to replace the belt at the moment but will give it a go later this year but it is an old machine and maybe it’ll be a waste of time. My OH used to cut the grass and is extremely fussy about the lawn and likes it call really low. Looking online there are machines as low as 60euros! Cost is important as we’ve spent too much already this year so I would welcome any suggestions.

Replacing the belt is the cheapest option and I would bet that machine has already lasted longer than a new one would.

I have just bought a new belt for my old mower, couldnt organise this in France because the robotic process only allows for part number, model number and make/year. All well and good but if that shop doesnt know that machine the process stops with a “Non” meanwhile in the UK I know the length and width of the belt and simply ordered one ready for my next trip.

I love carpenter bees so much :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes