Guardian Readership

I’m beginning to wonder if it is a condition of “membership” of Survive France that one reads the Grauniad? :thinking:
I do, I hasten to add, though it does depress me rather. :grin:

1 Like

No, but it helps as they say :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I read the Daily Stormer, but only for the sports section.

1 Like

I’m trying to read Le Monde :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

could it be that the others (exept perhaps for Sky News and BBC news) are behind a paywall?

4 Likes

Oh, a serious response Graham.! Fair point. France 24 isn’t, but it does seem a bit slow to pick up on topics. Also, if someone reads the others they could do cut and paste or screen grab (I assume) if the article isn’t too long. That’s how I get to see extracts from OH’s DT or his Economist. To steal a thought from another thread, he may have to read his Private Eye online in future as well, depending on what happens to TVA charges, so I might get snippets of that in future…

The Economist is available on Libby

I read whatever looks potentially interesting to me irrespective of political leaning, although I have to say that pretty much all of the freely accessible daily news outlets seem to engage in either poor journalistic standards, sensationalism or both!

2 Likes

What is Libby?

I always make serious responses :slightly_smiling_face:(except when not making serious responses!) :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I read (bits that interest me of) the Guardian, Independent, El Pais, L’Obs, and local paper.

If Karen is talking about the same thing, then Libby is an app that lets you access your previous local library in the UK and read all their stuff for free. I still have an online account at my ex-library, but need to go an get my card updated in person - a little difficult right now!

I wouldn’t consider myself naturally draw to the Guardian - I just realised that (at the moment) there are too many newspapers that I can no longer read without shouting out loud.

7 Likes

Libby, OverDrive, Pressreader, Readly, RBDigital are all examples of magazine and/or book reading online apps. Selection varies as to what each has available. Mostly reasonable cost if the selection (which is vast on the ones I’ve tried) suits your interest.

They work in different ways - live access vs download, for imstance

1 Like

I’ve been reading the Guardian for half a century(!), but like Radio 4, its content seem less and less relevant to my life. Also, the quality of writing has deteriorated, there are now too many hastily composed op-ed pieces and, despite Adrian Searle and Laura Cumming being excellent art critics, most reviews are by the invariably exasperating Jonathan Jones -possibly the most poorly educated art critic in the paper’s history (even worse than Waldemar Januszczak). And now Steve Bell has left!

Fortunately it’s not all bad, their football journalism has become in-depth and cosmopolitan and of course every Tuesday there’s the excellent David Squires, who in this week’s Euros’ cartoon strip managed to reference Hieronymus Bosch, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Battle of Poltava (1709). Even if football’s not your thing, it’s worth a glance at.-
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/jun/29/david-squires-on-drama-and-chaos-at-the-business-end-of-euro-2020

On the other hand, you might prefer to read the New York Times, still a haven of quality international journalism.

1 Like

Thanks Karen. Are they legit? I don’t want to find I’m reading “black market” digital info. I believe the Economist should have a fair deal so they can continue to offer quality reportage and editorial.

The Sun online plus The Evening Standard online occasionally and proud of it.

I mean, where else would you find such a headline ?

1 Like

Or…

1 Like

As for your The Sun post…
It’s only for page 3 Peter… not that I know what delights page 3 has, of course :grin:

2 Likes

He really is the pits.

1 Like

Can you elaborate please. Is Private Eye going on line?