Guilt? Or perhaps, what?

Something amusing to read with a tipple

1 Like

Is that a ban on food for ‘lethal babies’, which seems a good idea, tho’ as far as I’m aware we don’t have this problem locally (probably due to an aging populationn) :wink:

Sorry, didn’t mean to alarm anyone. They come in little plastic pots with glued down plastic lids with the tiniest tabs to pull them off with, almost impossible to get enough grip so I have had to resort to using a knife to punch a hole in the bloody things to get them off and twice have stabbed myself in the hand.
So they are banned.
Can’t imagine how they expect babies to get them off. :roll_eyes: :rage:

2 Likes

Good! Not that you were injured of course :rofl: ! Seriously though, your own veg / potato / meat then blitzed (did you buy a stick blender?) will be Is much more nutritious for her. You can also add butter / cream to up the calories. In terms if your time you could actually cook a big meal, for example your slow cooker stews, plus potatoes ect. Blitz up the veg, meat gravy then freeze Frans portions. Yogurt pot size or a bit more if she is enjoyiing it would probably be about right. Once frozen you can tip out into a big, labeled zip lock bag. Really easy way to get nutrients into her at minimal effort for you (and no cuts :rofl: ).

4 Likes

No, I am still hanging fire on the blitzer, thought I would try the hand masher first to see how versatile it was, and so far it is proving its worth. I always add butter when its been steamed.

I am doing all you suggest except for the meat, I don’t put that in because it is harder to mash, but I do add Heinz cream of chicken soup (and will try others) now and again just for the variety. And I don’t have to mash it all, if it is well steamed, or well cooked in olive oil in the large frying pan, because I chop it all small before hand there is no need to mash. I gave some left over ham to Opie yesterday as, due to a miscalculation on the equal value of ‘meat for animals’ bought, I ran short of sardines, and as I chopped this up for her I could equally do the same for Fran if it arose in the future.

As this means that we eat the same food again, and I am weaning myself off meat, there does not seem to be much point in re-introducing it to her. She still has her porridge followed by Fortimel in the morning and another Fortimel to follow her evening meal, so still getting lots of calories. :smiley:

1 Like

Good idea cooking in olive oil and using butter for the extra calories.

1 Like

A hand masher is nowhere near as effective as a stick blender.
Keep it for mashed potatoes.

1 Like

Actually, it all depends on what vegetables I’m using…

I use a stick blender when I want a thick, smooth soup… but use a masher/smasher for when I want my soup slightly-thick but chunkyish…

1 Like

Ouch!! A Picture Paints a Thousand Words.

8 days have passed since I opened the Opus Venti, but, though it is tempting, as George Dubya (no not that one, the 1st Pres) said, ‘I cannot tell a lie’, I have not slowed down from my 4 day average.

In fact I have just finished a rather sweet white, a 2015 Bergerac from Manoire de Lourac. As my diet is veering away from red blood it was not as unacceptable as I thought it might be, I must have opened it, right on cue about 4 days ago I suppose, and tomorrow I am going to have to have a proper search of the book room. I rather think that there are no more reds :astonished:

Wish me luck :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Tonight’s offering, is a 2016 Bordeaux Superieur, Chateau La Rose Fillol, and sadly is the last red in the room.
There are still over half a dozen whites there plus about 4 Champagnes.

With that quantity of really good stuff coming into the house so regularly just think how well we would have lived had Fran not had her illness. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Well, I’ve had about 4 or 5 days on the water, not sailing but drinking.
Cleansed the system and ready to tackle the first of the whites, this time another Alsace but a dry one and I am just taking a few sips before going to the kitchen to cook the meal.

It’s a 2015 Gewurztraminer, and is very tasty. :joy:

3 Likes

GewĂźrztraminer is a grape whose wine I enjoy very much, though usually processed in the style of those further to the east. :wink:

1 Like

A favorite of mine. Lovely with germanic foods, but also good with spicy things like curry.

1 Like

Well I was experimenting a bit tonight, I still have a large bowl of chopped veg in a highly spiced gravy I made a few days ago in the slow cooker. I am now buying all sorts of stuff I have never had before in the veg counter, the little old ladies (mainly ladies) and i rummage amongst the small quantities and help each other out. Which is why yesterday I picked up an endive and an aubergine (I thought the endives were only in 6 packs but one of my friends pointed out a box of lone ones that she had just discovered :smiley:) and I decided back at home to chop the endive and slice the aubergine (or rather half of each) and cook them briefly in olive oil with garlic in the large frying pan. Then served up with the spicy liquid and a few bits of other stuff.

Fran is really taking to this departure from boring baby foods and we both shared a really tasty meal, her in the kitchen and me in the dining room, accompanied by my wine of course.

I am not a wine buff, never have been, and was always satisfied with the ordinaire served up in the routiers to me for many years, and wouldn’t turn my nose up at them now, but I know that the French know their wines and I also know that they wouldn’t disgrace themselves in their eyes by giving me something they thought inferior. So I am now, just for a while, enjoying the fruits of their generosity. :joy:

6 Likes

And very good too with goose - it’s one of our Christmas wines…

1 Like

That’s the very best bit of your post.

6 Likes

Those of you who have been following the book room wine cellar saga will know that I opened the above 8 days ago. Yes it has taken me all that time to drink it. Although tasty, as I said, it was also much dryer than I am used to and I started off very slowly at first. By the time I really had the taste for it it was going down a lttle faster and I ended up really liking it. So tonight I had the last drop and, because it was after the delicious and very spicy (lasts for days and gets spicier every day :smiley:) veggie stew I opened another white (no choice really, that or water, the reds are finished a great shame because now into my stride with the stew I would love to slurp a bowlful of chabrol, a great favourite from the ‘old days’).

Anyway this one is a little sweeter, I think I had one a while ago, a small 2016 bottle of Chardonnay from Vignoble Guillaume. I don’t think it will last as long as the other one and then I really will need to go digging, the only ones in sight are the champers and Fran’s plastic rose plonk. I am not a snob, I will drink it, one day, but not while I know there are still hidden delights. :joy:

BTW @DrMarkH , we are still sharing the same meal, she has really taken to this stew and finished a sizeable bowlful. Another advantage of it is the fact that if she does leave a little, it goes straight back into the pot. :rofl:

1 Like

That is an advantage for us as well. My OH had a stomach operation several years ago, and since then, sometimes finds she can only eat a small amount of a meal. If we go out, we take a plastic container and all restaurants are more than happy to oblige. At home, if it’s a curry or stew or some such, it goes back into the mix for next time.

And all the richer and spicier for that. :wink: :joy:

1 Like