H sticker on UK registered car

I’ve just seen a car with UK registration plates, displaying a white oval sticker, with a large black letter H on it, on the rear bumper?

I thought UK registered vehicles could only display the UK sticker?

H for Hampshire. They seceded from the Union on Monday.

10 Likes

An oval sticker with a black letter H means it’s a hire car from Guernsey?

(should be on a yellow background though, not white)

Otherwise yes, it represents the People’s Conservative Republic of Hampshire (President-for-Life, Suella Braverman.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

It probably means that the people who own the car are Hungarian. And no you are not supposed to, but loads of people put a link the their region/original country on their car.

We always thought baby on board stickers were odd, but then learnt that the purpose is to signal to emergency services that there might be a small person in the car in a crash. So now have a chien à bord sticker.

1 Like

Yes that would be the sensible explanation.

It can’t be a Guernsey registered car, because Guernsey number plates don’t have letters.

This is true. OK it sounds like JaneJones wins and they are probably Magyars.

Or from Hampshire.

2 Likes

Do I get a prize?

2 Likes

Yes you get a bumper sticker with the letter H on it. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I assumed that it was to warn people not to drive too close - but that wouldn’t work in France. :grin:

I like the dog on board idea.

2 Likes

No, they are odd. Based on your learning (which I’ve never heard before btw) what if there’s a crash & the emergency services go looking for a non-existent child or dog?

More relevant would a be sticker that says “Stay clear as I am probably not concentrating because I’m texting whilst driving”. Mind you, round here I think the auto-écoles must teach you to keep your 'phone on your ear at all times, judging by the prevalence of that behaviour :rage:

3 Likes

I want a flashing neon sign on the back of the car that I can turn on at will and which says an expletive version of “I would be pleased if you would distance yourself from my back bumper”.

The implication being that, if there’s no Baby Onboard sticker, it’s OK for me to drive 12" from your rear bumper? :slight_smile:

Our car’s manual is in German and giving their love of compound nous it’s a pretty daunting read - so we haven’t read it. Consequently are continually learning new things about what our car can do - like send out an SOS message when my wife tried to open the sunroof!

I never got to the bottom of why after Brexit they all had to change their stickers and plates from GB to UK,as for the" H",could it mean" Help"?

It was essentially Grant Shapps’ one significant action as Minister of Transport - supposedly because geographically Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain but is in the UK, so to keep the DUP from having yet another temper tantrum and to make them feel loved, we all had to change our national identifier plates from GB to UK.

As far as I am aware though nobody from Northern Ireland has ever been bothered by having to use a GB sticker, but there you are. I suspect it had more to do with making as many British cars as possible change their EU-flagged numberplates…

The change from GB to UK involved asking the United Nations for permission to do so, in yet another great example of “exercising our sovereignty” and “taking back control” from Johnny Foreigner. :smiley:

My car still proudly wears its “GB on a blue background with circle of yellow stars” - I have had to put a ridiculous UK + Union flag one on my motorbike’s numberplate, since that’s the vehicle I use when I go to France, but luckily the necessary sticker is tiny. If I take my car to France I will have to get a UK sticker for it I suppose but rest assured it will be the smallest one I can find… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a pendant, this is probably the only Brexit benefit I’ve ever seen :joy:

1 Like

Waiting and bored in the queue to load at Portsmouth a few days ago, wandered about and was surprised by the number of britsh reg cars with no UK (or GB) stickers

Probably think they are above everyone else and immune to the rules. Entitled is what they call it I think!

1 Like

Unnecessary and confusing change? Check.

Costing people money for no reason? Check.

Yep, that’s a Brexit benefit all right.

And naturally the UK’s team at the Paris Olympics will still be called Team GB not Team UK, even though it includes Northern Irish athletes…

2 Likes