Hands free kits are banned in france

A real family car Brian ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGka4rMGzjA

Yes, at routine stop checks too.

A couple of years ago there was a sketch on a German satire show. The man sitting in what looked a bit like an upgraded Heinkel bubble car was chatting to the man in an Opel in a traffic jam. The Opel driver asks the electric car driver what the top speed is, the man says he'll show him when the traffic is clear. A while later there is a space, the electric shoots off at 120 km. It stops after something like 40m, the Opel guy hesitates to speak to him and says how impressive it was from a standing start, but the asks what's the power consumption at top speed. The guy in the electric says, that was it. Just finished charging five minutes before doing that, but usually at top speed he can do a full 50m. The Opel guy steams off laughing his head off...

they ask to see your phone here when they stop you - last call is shown so you can't really deny it!

Quite so, only in the case of an actual accident do they check phone records in the UK, do they do similar in france?

All seems much t'do about nowt as usual big headlines in newspapers but without substance, no mention of hands free kit. Only mentions headphones and earpieces etc presumably for youngsters with music blaring into their ears and causing distraction. I once went passed my junction on the A10 listening to stairway to heaven very loudly through the stereo and enjoying the fat bum Megane hire car I was just given. So stereo's on loud can be just as distracting.

This is just an alarmist phrase from a lobby club for drivers. More like a warning: "You can't even use a wireless bluetooth device! If we let this pass... what's next? All in-car systems?" The law so far is expressly talking about ear phones, anything else is pure speculation. In any case, how do you enforce this if there is no ear piece? "No officer, I was not talking on the phone... I was singing along with the radio!"

Are but it's not as comical as the electric version, pit stops to change batteries and cars lol. This season should be really boring though as it seems Merc have a powerhouse of a car but that's for another thread!

It already is.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Used to love it tho' !

Sorry Doreen yes the Gouv doc was the same it was my Tabloid shock horror headline that was new, apologies

So it seems Chris, so it was worth reading the manual after all! :-)

As it reads Chris things like Bluetooth aren't affected. Only things like headsets or earphones etc If systems using non headsets etc are also banned then you may just as well ban the radio, MP3 or cd players etc etc !

It is what it states Doreen that is to say, headphones or headsets etc That's what it translates as anyway.

I have just read carefully through the gouv.fr announcement, which covers all sorts of things but only sketches them in outline. It's the French equivalent of a "green paper" and clearly designed to provoke debate and in need of great precision before it ever becomes law. No mentioin at all of integrated phone kits or indeed hands-free, only acoustic devices which may reduce a driver's attention on the road. So, no need to worry for ages yet.

Not showing off at all, John, although 'tis true, I did buy a new car last year! In fact, I didn't even know it had an integrated phone system until one day someone rang me when, for once, I actually had my mobile with me! A message flashed up on the little screen which usually tells me what speed, fuel consumption etc I'm doing, something about Bluetooth. So, I finally succumbed and got the manual out...

Won't that make F1 a bit boring?

Chris your not showing off are you? just because yours is built in Lol ;-) mine is part of my satnav taken from vehicle to vehicle but as John Haynes and Doreen said it doesn't mention hands free specifically and the backlash lot say it may roll out to hands free later so it would seem another have assed bit of french nonsense

Yes I agree and so the point was made yesterday by John Haynes which seems to be the case. It looks like the french press just can't write a sensible headline either

Doreen your article was older than the one I put up, yours looked like the brainstorming session before any action. There has obviously been a backlash but it seems at the moment it's earphones and earpieces with incar systems that may follow. more like youngsters with blaring music from ipods etc than hands free telephones.

http://www.liguedesconducteurs.org/legislation/kit-mains-libres-une-interdiction-qui-fait-debat

Recent research indicates that multi-tasking is a myth. As I get older I become more and more risk averse and don't even like having the radio on when driving. I will probably end up like my father, who decided that Mother was too distracting and banished her to the back seat!