Hands free kits are banned in france

Does anyone know if "hands-free kit" includes built-in systems which are, ewffectively, part of the car?

Measure no. 22 Doreen

I just came to think of (Pam Edmonson) when I recently was driving back from taking my husband to Marseille airport, there was a young woman driving behind me, in the outside lane, very busy texting non-stop, even when she changed lane, after a car tooted her, she still continued...talk about multitasking...or should I say live dangerously...where was the police then, completely crazy...but the amount of people driving and on the phone in Provence as in the UK is something else...mind you I rarely see any police around where we are...what did we all do before mobile and the rest...?

I have to say that I feel far, far more comfortable driving in France than in England, if only because of the traffic density. One thing that would make a difference would be the heroic overtakes on mountain roads being moderated. The road up to Val d'Isere from Bourg St Maurice is a prime example.

:-D

According to official figures 3388 people were killed on the roads in France in 2014 which represents an increase of 3.7% or the equivalent to 120 more poor souls losing their lives which makes the Charlie Hebdo attack seem tame in comparison. The figures for january 2015 are not encouraging either with figures showing a 12% rise in road deaths over 2014 which translates to 263 deaths.

Surely any attempts to cut these horrible stats has to be seen as a postive move by whichever government ?

Simon, a very good point but I can't see them allowing hands free just for driverless cars and using a mobile without will probably still be illegal. It always takes the law a while to catch up with technology.

Personally, I look forward to driverless cars being perfected. Eventually, I expect accidents will be caused by cars with drivers :-).

I`m racking my brains to think of some way the accident figures could be reduced in France - but the standard of driving is so good I can`t think of anything.

In the meantime I`m going to try to not drive too close to the vehicle behind me, to move over on autoroutes when I am overtaking a line of lorries when I see someone coming up behind me at very high speed with their lights flashing as they must be very important people in a hurry, and to never ever cross a pedestrian crossing if it means cars have to stop for me.

Is gesticulating and talking with your hands regulated?

It will be passed as law with the exception of "frogtalk" hands free mobile phones - a company which happens to be owned by the Minister of Transport's brother.

Er, we're talking about France here - politician tells everyone what he's going to do and what his new law is all about, nobody does anything because we all know that by the time it actually gets passed it will have been diluted and changed so much that it's not worth the paper it's written on - remember the alcotests - you must have one but you won't be prosecuted if you haven't. (and no, I we still haven't bothered buying them for either car!)

I must laugh. I looked back over it, at least your two links and what I could find on gouv.fr and it is my unbiased view that the drafters are plonkers. They have made such a pig's ear that it is almost beyond belief when what you are pointing out is understood. It will be a field day situation for lawyers, for those who can afford to use them at least, who will simply read out what the new regulations say and then ask the judge whether that includes integral units without supplementary apparel such as headphones. Given that the law appears to work on the basis of hands on the wheel rather that holding a phone to your ear, they need to clear that up first.

When I reversed into a car in the autumn, I braked before the collision happened, seeing the car come toward me too fast with the woman holding a phone to her ear and her head inclined to the side away from me. I argued that with her, but off she went to the gendarmes, one who is the father of one of my daughter's friends called me, I explained and he said that it was for us to sort out ourselves. So she went to her insurer, the same one as me. The agent, also a parent from the same group of children said that he was quite sure that what I said is all true but the law still says that whoever is reversing... That she drove into my tow hook is of no consequence and no matter how many people saw her using the phone, the law is not clear on that, so my insurance paid for her dent. On that basis, the new laws are jumping over the missing link. The legal minefield will blow up in their faces.

When, as you say, they have their year of adjustment and whatever behind them, then this is destined to go ape. Well done the legislators.

Hands free parking is an interesting one. How about hands free, using the phone with a smoke, bottle of water or snack in the other hand and doing that within 5m of a crossing? Could a gendarme intellectually cope?

Further confusion:

http://www.liguedesconducteurs.org/legislation/kit-mains-libres-une-interdiction-qui-fait-debat

But it does sound as if initially at least it's earphones etc, what do others make of it?

Yes John I completely agree, some more clarity needed. If it seriously doesn't include all hands free parrot etc and factory fitted then just another half assed French bit old crap badly written badly thought through legislation. Than of course it will be stalled off for a year whilst the country adjusts itself like smoke detectors and breathalisers Lol

That bit in the image put out on twitter by the interior ministry says headphones, headsets.... It doesn't actually mention hands-free kits at all as it's about the use of headphones, earpieces, etc. in any context (not specific to hands-free telephony):

https://twitter.com/Place_Beauvau/status/559734044544745472/photo/1

I think you just said the same thing as me. :)

No I think it says hands free kits and headphones also earpieces etc. Integrated systems are still hands free and it's concentration the minister wants to improve.

Maybe there is another article elsewhere that explains it some more?

On a similar vein Simon, hands free parking exists now, technically you could be had for not being in control of your vehicle? Taking both hands off the wheel.

Well, judging by the article I think the ban on hands free kits is just about headsets, earpieces and headphones (and as such I think it applies to any use of such a device, whether that be with an ipod or a phone or whatever). It doesn't affect integrated in-car comunication systems afaik. Also doesn't affect using your phone hands-free as a speaker phone directly.

An interesting question is if this also pertains to bike-to-bike (and telephony) communications and gps systems on motorbikes where you are by definition using headphones. These are of course an essential and integral part of most motorcycle rider training initiatives for a start.

Yes familiar with that discussion/argument, I would say that years ago driving around inner London and the East end amongst others with an AtoZ balanced in my lap trying to spot road signs was far worse and a real wonder I didn't hurt myself or some innocent passerby especially at dusk/night with an iterior light to read by. At least Satnav's keep me informed if I overdo the speed limit, I have put the camera database back on my satnav as I find it helps and doesn't raise revenue for the government.

It sounds like your friend was henpecked and just did as they were told, fortunately I don't take orders whilst driving as that has nearly caused accidents, backseat drivers!