I’m fortunate enough to live in a gorgeous little village in the Herault area South of France, but unfortunate enough to have ridiculously hard water.
Why does this bug me? Here goes…
- Kettles, coffee machines & steriliser needs descaling nearly every week (I’m on my second Coffee machine & kettle in 2 years)
- My lovely tiling in my showers is covered in white stuff that is tougher than anything Mr Muscle can throw at it
- The showers get blocked with horrible solid white stuff (not just the usual squashy soap suds which is easy to remove)
- I need to use a litre of washing up liquid or Monsieur Propre to get the floors clean
- The kids can’t have bubble baths without me using half a bottle of bubble bath
- I miss having lather when I shower - it just doesn’t happen
- Toilets need a lot of scrubbing to keep that horrid white stuff from sticking & going blue with the loo cleaner forever
- At some point my washing machine & water tank will become clogged & will need replacing
- When I call out the Plumber, they just shrug and say ‘c’est le calcaire madame’ as though nothing can be done
- Tap water doesn’t taste nice & nor does it make a decent up of tea
So what can be done? All ideas welcome…
I’ve been told we can fit an adoucisseur (is that how you spell it?) but I’ve also been told this is not good for children as it removes all the minerals in the water. We have a filter on our american fridge freezer which does help improve the taste but even the pipes on the fridge get all chalky & need cleaning somehow). I don’t want to buy bottled water, it’s expensive & the bottles create too much waste…it’s not eco!
For appliances, My dishwasher came with an ‘anti-calcaire’ thing fitted so hopefully that won’t go bang. I descale everything else with white vinegar regularly. (I don’t want to use chemical things).
I’m considering a steam cleaner to see if that helps clean the tiling in the bathrooms and I’m going to try the eco-magnetic balls from Lakeland for the washing machine (I’m not paying for those add in tablets with every wash, it would be cheaper to buy a new washing machine over its lifetime than to use them! Even at French prices)
And I’m going to keep buying bubble bath for the kids from the UK & get it shipped over - can you imagine if I bought the French baby stuff either the kids would be playing spot the bubble or I’d be skint at going through a bottle a week.
AND finally, Yorkshire Tea have now brought out a tea specially for hard water…my UK order is on it’s way!
UK Stores Delivering Overseas