Harringtons dog food

What do we all think about wet food?

I feed mine dry and yes, I am sure there is crap in it.

But, I am quite fanatical about only eating organic free range eggs, pork, chickens etc and could not in all good conscience feed the dogs factory farmed chicken. It just strikes me as really hypocritical.

Neither could I afford to feed them free range come to that!

These days pooch is eating a lot of courgettes! I’ve salved my conscience by feeding him a mixture. So he gets commercial dry food, plus scraps, plus lots of fruit and veg (a lot of which he harvests himself), plus hunters’ leftovers. And lots of stock from bones from butcher or neighbours.

1 Like

It is a very good question. I don’t have a definitive answer.

Am I right in thinking the following about your rationale for your question - wet food contains more meat and therefore more animals suffer terribly if (and it will be in 99.9% of cases) the meat is factory farmed. It is horrible if you stop and think about it.

Cage free kibble is available if you are prepared to pay a substantial premium. Otherwise the likelihood is that the kibble will consist of animal meal which is a byproduct of industrial farming. This can consist of old and diseased animals and some kibbles have been found to have traces of euthanasia products in them. There are likely to be former pets in some kibbles apparently. With the expensive high protein kibbles I don’t know how much the meat content differs from wet food.

Either way the carbon footprint of just one dog is likely to be twice that of an SUV.

In my recent hunt for a low protein kibble (I have two young sighthounds - and too much protein makes them go bananas) I found this vegetarian kibble https://www.zooplus.fr/shop/chiens/croquettes_chien/green_petfood/lot_economique_croquettes_chien_greenpetfood/782854?zootopia_rec=true&cn=initial&si=4&pn=web_pdp&pr=container_1&strategy=30367748&rk=1-12&slot=11&pi=782854&rri=fe510a40-e13e-44a2-bb8d-160358d23cd3

Views on this are mixed. Not really suited to dogs some holistic nutritionists say, but is it really worse than the stuff made from animal meal?

I could supplement with meat/fish occasionally and it could still be better than tins of wet food?

1 Like

I’ve been ordering the ProCani tripe for ages now but I’ve just recently ordered a ProCani mixed range (via zooplus)

It works out at around €3 per day to feed 2 Border Collies
so €21 per week

I knew it came from Germany so today I’ve been having a look at their website
I don’t speak German but I translated a couple of paragraphs on google translate and it says that their meat is sourced from veterinary supervised local and national slaughterhouses and that they also conduct independent veterinary checks

I don’t really know much about welfare standards in Germany nor how much is factory farmed

(I also ordered their rabbit mince which is slightly dearer)

Here’s the website

1 Like

Hello all!
If you feed vegetarian can I recommend you feed 10 percent liver or kidney on top. Most dogs, whatever they are on, are lacking Bs and a couple of other things. And your sighthounds definitely need more due to their different blood. And the other thing is animal fat. Vegetable fat is a different thing. I am buying dechets from the butcher, often I get them for nothing. I always plead with him for the trim rather than meat, and if anyone knows where to source dripping
 not lard, that’s pork and extortionate here . And hard to find. And no good. So at the moment it’s butter. And I grew up on a dairy farm. I know the ethical problem first hand. And I don’t know the answer. But back to the dogs, fruit and veggies are always liked, our eldest bitch is clearing up all the blackberries and apples.

2 Likes

I’ve got loads of blackberries but mine just won’t eat them
I eat them straight off the brambles and always offer them one but they just turn their noses up lol
they will eat fallen apples but not plums (had none this year)

They’ll eat frozen purĂ©ed carrot and spinach but won’t touch parsnips
my girl doesn’t like peas and if I ever give them leftovers from one of my veggie creations she’ll lick around every pea and leave them on the plate lol :grinning:

My inspiration for switching to a raw diet was Tom Lonsdale
I remember vividly the first time I gave them a raw chicken leg and I half expected them to be dead by morning but they thrived :grinning:

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/petowners.php

1 Like

Where do you live? Do be careful eating fruit straight off the bush in several areas of France because of echinococcose, a truly horrible disease. We protect our pooch since there is no way to stop him eating things, especially below height of a fox, but no protection for humans. And we are cautious even taking fruit from higher up a bush.

That’s useful stuff to know, had no idea about that.

Fortunately Helen lives in a low incidence area.

2 Likes