Has anyone given up sugar or even considered it?

To be fair Michael Moseley specifically says in the piece that “it is not cure” - but that does not mean there is no benefit - the longer you can completely control T2 diabetes with lifestyle and diet changes the better, and a low-carb diet to maintain the weight loss does seem to be the in-vogue thing at present (with, perhaps, some sound evidence behind it was well).

1 Like

Doing a drink round the other week,I offered a patient ( younger than me and recovering from a life changing stroke ) a drink His wife informed me he would have a coffee with two sugars I said that I would give him sweetener as he had diabetes. I received the immortal reply ’ Oh no nurse that’s just his diet ’

2 Likes

A quick google tells me there was a 2part documentary called Fast Fix Diabetes back in June on ITV.

1 Like

I love sugar puffs, rarely buy them because I’d eat them day and night.

2 Likes

Oh wow! The lack of understanding/knowledge is frightening. No wonder some people have such poorly controlled diabetes.

However, I absolutely hate and detest artificial sweeteners so I prefer to have either a small amount of sugar or go without.

2 Likes

Maybe I should start a post about people’s favourite cereals. :smile:

1 Like

Me too. I’m highly suspicious about sweeteners.
My sil has an air fryer. She makes home made chips in it, just a squirt of fry light and surprisingly good.

1 Like

I love chips. One of my favourite things to eat. Always make them myself and cook them in a friteuse. One of my treats :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

1 Like

When I was a lab tech I went to surgeries to test warfarin. The amount of smokers and diabetics with amputated limbs who still smoked or didn’t follow a proper diet was shocking. I can’t understand how anyone can forsake a limb for a smoke or sugar and carbs.

2 Likes

Very sadly true Theresa

1 Like

I know two people who have been diagnosed with COPD who still smoke. One of them was diagnosed a couple of years ago and the other one about 6 months ago. I know how hard it is to give up smoking as I’ve done it myself but this astonishes me.

Both these people know my hubby who has end-stage COPD and is suffering horribly now. If you can look at him knowing you have the same illness and continue to smoke then I do not know what it takes to make people quit.

2 Likes

The strength of addiction I suppose. I do sometimes wonder if I could give sugar up completely. I eat far less sugar in France than I do in the UK. There’s definitely less snacking in France.

2 Likes

I was working on a head and neck surgery ward, a young lad was being discharged and laughing about being told to give up smoking. An elderly lady was visiting her husband in the same bay who had had radical and I mean radical surgery. She walked up to this lad and said ’ If you want to see what smoking can do ,you look at my husband ,look at him and you give up smoking ’ The youngster went green I just hope it had an effect

2 Likes

You’re a true hero Nellie. All nurses are heroes. :angel:

2 Likes

We try

2 Likes

I gave up sugar 58+ years ago when I heard a programme on the radio about how sugar caused cancer in rats! I have never been over my desired weight. Have gone off all sweet tasting things altogether but we can only hope that it gets reconstituted when cooked in food.

Gave up sugar in hot drinks maybe 8 yrs ago…so long I cant remember the event. Smoking was about 4 years ago now. Luckily have a savory palate…
OH is a good cook, she cooks from scratch, fresh produce. I weaned myself off of ready meals before we met, and cooked basic meals from fresh myself.
The rubbish in those things cannot be any good for anyone long term…but again it’s price and ease of use.
When someone tots up their food bill; they would rather spend the excess funds on a new iphone for bragging rights with their peers.
As the topic of food prices gets stronger, they probably won’t bother to say anything about clothes and gadgets… i expect they would still try and reduce food bills to pay for the next handbag…or mcdonalds only twice a week instead of 3 :slight_smile: cynical nahhh :smiley:

I know a lot of people who have given up sugar because of having inflammatory diseases. They swear it makes a huge difference, along with other dietary alterations. I tried it and it did diddlysquat for me.

But I don’t have even the gimmer of diabetes, and my blood sugar struggles to get up to “normal” levels.

To me the important thing for many reasons other than sugar is to avoid eating processed foods. Bread is just about the only thing we buy now, but not as much as we used to as now make out own sourdough…

2 Likes

That’s some tattoo at 8:27. No mention of alcohol sugars either.

1 Like

Eat slowly… give the hormones that regulate your appetite a chance to work.

3 Likes