Has anyone given up sugar or even considered it?

That’s a good point ,if you eat quickly you overwhelm your body’s natural cut off point

I gave up sugar three months ago, I also had a kind of wake-up. I am the typical french man, big fan of charcuterie, big fan of cheese, big fan of wine, big fan of ripaille. Big fan…so even cycling 300 kms per week, after 30 years old, you slowly start to gain weight. I was not fat or overweight, but…you know that so sweet grease belt who starts to appear and looking at you in the Mirror…it was there.

So I started intermittent fasting the first of June this year. 4 months later, I lost 6 kgs, the 6 kgs I never achieved to loose. The ones stuck in your belly and who never want to leave. No breakfast, no dinner, one meal a day from monday to friday. I eat everything, I eat all I want, I don’t care. I just pay attention to eat less processed food, I stopped white sugar and replaced it by Brown sugar in my coffee. More vegetables, more motivation to cycle whatever the weather, and here we go 4 months later, 6 kgs are gone, but the most important is that I definitely burnt all the fat stuck under the skin which is the most difficult to loose.

I am starting to draw the six pack (no not the beer one), my wife is on fire, enough said faites l’amour pas la gueule

1 Like

Hello Mandy,

Silly videos apart, sugar is a very serious subject; it is not nutritious yet has many calories that could be better obtained from healthier foodstuffs,and it plays havoc with blood glucose levels, particularly in diabetics. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes some 12 years ago and, probably like yourself, I was horrified to find that I had this potentially deadly condition.

I decided to research the topic in depth and learned a great deal in the process.

Sugar in your diet, however natural that diet may be, is inevitable as many natural foods contain natural sugars. The answer for a type 2 diabetic is to keep to a minimum the amount of natural sugars ingested ( for example, eat less fruit and avoid all fruit juices with certain exceptions (and then only drink limited quantities). Avoid “added sugars” as much as possible - cut them out altogether if you can. If you psychologically need sweet things to eat or drink, take an unsweetened item and sweeten it with a little pure xylitol or 90% pure Rebaudioside Stevia - but not most supermarket versions which rend to be bulked up with other less desirable sweetening agents.

As for a very low calorie diet, the value of this depends on your version of low calorie. My wife and I have discovered that eating the recommended daily amount of calories for a man or a woman on 5 days a week, alternated with 2 low calorie days (500calories for a woman; 600 calories for a man) works extremely well and encourages weight loss and helps to reduce / satbilise blood glucose levels. The important thing is that we eat very little in the way of processed foods and beverages, especially on the low calorie days.

Over the years, I have astounded my doctors by coming off diabetes drugs and bringing my blood sugar HbA1c level down to within the normal range most of the time (and within a fairly stable range over many years) simply by adhering to a “dietary regime” that I worked out for myself based on my research. I feel good, well, healthy and energised most of the time, I eat well and heartily, and have had to completely drop very few of the tings I like to eat and drink. Importantly, I have so far managed to stave off all the potentially life-threatening side effects of this nasty condition.

I have collated the basics of my “regime” into a document which some of my friends and relatives have found helpful.

If you would be interested in reading this, I will be happy to email it to you if you let me know that you would like me to do so. Just send me an email - to: mel.anthony@wanadoo.fr - and I will forward it to you. Do bear in mind that I am not giving any medical advice - I have no medical qualifications - and that you should discuss these issues with your own doctors. My own doctor is very happy with what I am doing because I go to her every 3 months for an examination and blood tests, and she can see how well I am doing without medication. Do have regular medical examinations, keep your doctor informed of what you are doing, and above all have regular glucose blood tests.

I hope you have found my experience helpful and interesting.

Bien cordialement,

Mel Anthony

4 Likes

Thank you Mel for such a thorough response.

1 Like

My GP recently recommended Dr Michael Mosley’s book “The Clever Guts Diet” which I took out of the library and have just finished reading. In it he refers to how he reversed his own T2 diabetes through a 5:2 diet regime (weight loss). His book on that regime is “The Fast Diet”.

1 Like

Lay person question here - if you are a Type 1 diabetic does avoiding sugar to stabilise your levels still apply? I know that T1 can’t be reversed but just intrigued?

2 Likes

Yes you still need to avoid sugar - type 1 diabetics are completely dependent on injected insulin but it does not mimic natural insulin all that well. Even modern regimens involving a background “long acting” insulin with smaller amounts of “fast acting” insulin for meals - injected insulin takes up to 30 minutes to kick in, you pancreas can respond much faster than that (if it is working, obviously).

As to reversing T1 there are some interesting things happening

https://jdrf.org.uk/news/new-drug-reduces-the-autoimmune-attack-and-reverses-type-1-diabetes-in-mice/

Take the Telegraph article with a pinch of salt though.

1 Like

Definitely not a pinch of sugar!

3 Likes

I can’t believe that the tele graph are promoting a vaccine as a way to reduce T1 diabetes…! That’s dreadful…

My Mom has T1 diabetes…only diagnosed around 10 years ago when previously T1 was classified as juvenile…???

Her pancreas no longer works at all…she’s totally dependant on insulin…due to other medical complications she’s on a daily cocktail of pharmaceuticals…

She controls her diet extremely well…but
I could cry when she tells me she’s booked in for her annual flu jab and for me not to worry about it as “it doesn’t hurt”…x :frowning:

Not everyone views vaccines negatively.

The BCG work is a bit odd - it slightly lowered HbA1c levels despite no effect on insulin secretion but seems to affect glucose metabolism.

Oh, it’s much more complex than that :slight_smile:

Classical type 1 is thought to be an auto immune disease. Typically it presents in childhood or early adolescence. While there may be a brief period where some β cell function is retained it typically progresses to complete β cell destruction and dependence on insulin.

Classical type 2 is (was?) thought to be due to insulin resistance

Then there is MODY or Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young - type 2 like but thought to be a different underlying mechanism.

Finally there is LADA - Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults which is type 1 like but running a more indolent course and presenting in later life.

And then … a recent article published in the Lancet claims to have identified 5 subtypes (I need to re-read the article - not sure if that was 5 subtypes of T2 or 5 subtypes generally).

3 Likes

I don’t know how to quote so you’ll have to bear with me (although you don’t have to…x :slight_smile: )

My mom’s medical problems started with a fall that damaged her coccyx in her twenties…then a whiplash injury in her forties…diagnosis of torticollis and the offer of injected botulin which was still experimental so she refused…she managed the pain with meditation and occasional visits to a chiropractor until she broke her shoulder 20 years ago and the bodge job that followed that saw her on an ever increasing cocktail of drugs…drugs that to my mind damaged her pancreas beyond repair…???

I do agree that there is an autoimmune response going on in type 1 and maybe type 2 also…when all vaccine inserts state they should only be administered to healthy people then I’m not sure of vaccinating people who are ill…???

My Dad was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in his forties. When I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, in my late twenties, I discovered from my research that it was more common in women with a diabetic parent and that it was linked to insulin resistance although I’m not sure anyone is quite sure why. As a result I requested, and was prescribed, metformin which, of course, is a standard treatment for type 2 diabetes. Some 10 years later I had a scan which showed that I no longer had any cysts on my ovaries.

Now, of course, I’ve gone on to develop type 2 diabetes and am back on the metformin I started taking some 20 years ago. I wonder what is the real cause of my diabetes. Is it potentially genetic or maybe triggered by the PCOS or by my lifestyle???

There is another type of diabetes that I had never heard of until my hubby was diagnosed with it in February and that’s steroid-induced diabetes. He has been taking prednisolone for a couple of years now as he has end-stage COPD. I noticed he was very thirsty and sweaty and permanently tired and so I did a blood glucose test and discovered his blood sugar was 526 mg/dl or 29 mmol/l. He has been on insulin ever since and I have had to learn to give him his injections etc.

With regard to the flu vaccine hubby and I have it every year and I used to have it before I became diabetic to help protect hubby. I am well aware that our immune systems are compromised and a dose of flu could be very dangerous for me and would kill hubby. He has also had the pneumonia vaccine. There is no way we would play Russian roulette with a potentially fatal illness.

2 Likes

Yes we do daily blood sugars on patients on high doses of steroids or dexamethazone a steroid used for swelling in the brain

2 Likes

Hi Mandy,

You are welcome.

Would you like me to send you my “beat diabetes” regime that has worked so well for me, for your information?

Hi,
There have been numerous articles in the health pages of the Daily Mail over the last few years…This is a link to the latest which advocates a 24hr starvation regime which has been successful…Might help, hope it does…

1 Like

Incidentally, I am not diabetic (although I am much heavier than I used to be/would like to be). I have been tested several times, but it has always come back negative (thankfully)…

I gave up sugar in hot drinks when I was about 13yrs of age in an attempt to lose ‘puppy fat’…It worked and i have never missed it. I find sugary drinks are anything but, ‘thirst quenching’

Was your mum given a few steroid injections? My mum is suffering hip pain and the NHS have given her two steroid injections but said she can’t have any more as she may get diabetes.

Under 3 a year is usually considered a safe level (or 1mg/day). Does she have other risk factors perhaps?

1 Like

Yes she has…bless her…she’s a tough cookie but at 80 her mobility and options are now becoming increasingly affected…

She’s had and continues to have 3 steroid injections a year in her shoulder…she can’t have any more than that…her doctor gave her “pain patches” at 20 mg (?) which really helped numb the pain for several months until she became allergic to the adhesive…he’s since given her other non allergic “pain patches’ that only seem to go up to 12 mg but don’t touch the pain…

He’s talked about surgery with her but also said that it’s 50/50 whether it would help…(my mom had a hip replacement too under epidural as they didn’t want to use anaesthesia…no problems with that)… he sent her to a physiotherapist who after seeing her x-rays said she wouldn’t be able to help due to the combination of bodged pins and plates and osteoarthritis and osteoporosis…my mom has to use a walking frame and the never ending pain in her shoulder and arm even make this difficult…her doctor calls her his favourite patient because she never complains and is always smiling…:heart:

1 Like

My mom has never smoked…never drunk alcohol except a baileys or a snowball at Xmas…has never eaten a lot of meat but now vegetarian…diabetes is not in our family history…