Has anyone learned to touch type?

Touch typing on an Imperial 66 was the only useful thing I learnt at school. The metronome would swing and tick as we typed a s d f ; l k j
There were no letters on the keys so looking at the keys was useless.
Then we added the g and h
Eventually the q w e r t y u i o p
and then z x c v b n m , .

Simple word sentences.

I still touch type and the letters on the keyboards have long since gone. However I never did master touch typing for the numbers and other symbols and punctuation with the exception of the @ sign. I wonder why that is.

I never knew you had to learn that. I briefly considered a return to sea as a sparks after my seagoing career as a deckhand came to an abrupt halt in Sydney one day. I had already learned Morse at Merchant Navy Officersā€™ training college and thought that that would mean instant acceptance. Plus some qualification on the inner workings of radios of course. Probably would have failed that too. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

I donā€™t think it was obligatory. Our Marine college was in a COFE which had a typewriting class on site. I never used the touch typing as I couldnā€™t type at20 wpm. I had to learn Morse to 25 wpm to get through the Morse exams. I still have the original key I used to practice on.

I want to, with the azerty keyboard. Not necessarily for great speed, but for typing my thoughts without having to look at and concentrate on the keyboard.

Any ideas on how best to proceed with this quest?

All the best secretaryā€™s and PA I have seen were all trained at PITMANS COLLAGES.

You can find there courses on line.

It was Pitmans that they used at the college I went to, now a University but the course was taught by a Pitman trained teacher for both shorthand and typing.

My OH apparently learnt to touch type to the William Tell overture.

Yes, that rings a bell Mark.

1 Like

Touch typing is so passĆ© :yawning_face: Dictation is all the rage now, even in the car :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Hey Siri, take a noteā€¦

2 Likes

For extroverts maybeā€¦. :speaking_head:

I like peace and quiet when Iā€™m thinking, and writing stuff downā€¦ :mute:

The golfballs were marvellous. They got everyoneā€™s speed up. Do you remember if you were a very fast typist the golfballs used to break?

Good idea John. I bet Dragon software can type even French mangled in a British accent.

1 Like

Find a very strict, almost dominatrix BTS secretariat teacher who will rap your knuckles and rip up your paper when you get it wrong ? Not speaking from personal experience or anything, no, noā€¦ :rofl:

2 Likes

I learned to touch type decades ago and still do but on one occasion when I went to a DIY store here, the vendeur told me type in on his keyboard the product I was looking for. So I did but he had no idea what I was after but then after walking away I realisesd it was a French keyboard.

1 Like

my ā€œspareā€ computer has an azerty keyboard, but OH changed the whatever inside the computer to ENGLISH, so when I touch-type Iā€™m OKā€¦ phewā€¦ :+1: :rofl:

To teach yourself to touch type donā€™t forget the small raised bumps on the keys where your index fingers are supposed to go.

Then itā€™s just lots of practise and slowly building up your speed

Good luck.

PS If you can already touch type qwerty changing is not too difficult. Although swearing at the keyboard is a given

1 Like

Iā€™ve found those raised bumps, and that has led me to realize that I shall have to sit properly on my computer chair, instead of slouching somewhat sideways, with legs crossed! This is going to be hard!

1 Like

sadly, no raised bumps on either keyboardā€¦ Iā€™m feeling left-outā€¦ :roll_eyes: :wink:

I have two - on my letters F and J - guess thatā€™s where my forefingers are supposed to rest. I bought a Mavis Beacon set of disks many many years ago. Not sure they ever came out of their wrapper - bit like the yoga leotard I bought - never left the drawer where I put it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

it would be those 2 lettersā€¦ but mine have noughtā€¦ I can feel the letters on all the keys but not enough to read 'emā€¦

1 Like

A little blob of superglue on keys ā€˜Fā€™ & ā€˜Jā€™. ā€¦? Or plasticine? Or something similar?

If you have Windows 10, and if you hold down the Windows key - looks like a little flag bottom left of the keyboard - and then press the space bar, a box should appear which enables you to choose, back and forth, between azerty & querty. But you will have to change keyboards as well - this is getting complicated!