Has pop music got less tuneful?

Not sure that this is exactly “culture” - well maybe culture of a kind.

Just wondering whether other people have the same problem - I like to sing along, to pop songs, especially when driving, apart from anything else it keeps me alert. But so often these days there seems to be so little tune in the song. Clever lyrics maybe, but not a good thumping tune.

I quite like it, but I can’t imagine a hall full of people yelling “Murder on the Dancefloor” like we used to do to “I will survive”. But then maybe today people have learned to hear music in a different way?
How does a hall full of people sing along with rap?

2 Likes

Not arf! Pop pickers :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Rap is just verbal diarrhoea

2 Likes

One of the reasons you remember I will survive is because of its relative melodic complexity (see this resource: I will survive by Gloria Gaynor Chords, Melody, and Music Theory Analysis - Hooktheory cf. Murder On The Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis-Bextor Chords, Melody, and Music Theory Analysis - Hooktheory) but also because there was so much less music available in 1979 than now.

I will survive was a different sort of song, with a refrain that invited singing along. But people would sing along to other disco tunes, like Le Freak, which was melodically very simple: Le Freak by CHIC Chords, Melody, and Music Theory Analysis - Hooktheory.

Dua Lipa isn’t winning any awards for complexity: Training Season by Dua Lipa Chords, Melody, and Music Theory Analysis - Hooktheory

1 Like

Culture has shifted, lyrics are often angry and protesting but not in a way that wants to make you grin and fight back, rythms often fast but not engaging and again with a hint of anger about them instead of fun. There’s been a big increase in the number of female vocals that I’m hearing now, but the voices aren’t pleasing so much as piercing and often uncomfortable to listen to because of the way songs are performed.

An aspect of modern music production is that the art of rubato has virtually disappeared, click tracks being almost mandatory. It’s led to music being dehumanised and feeling much more mechanical, less soulful.

3 Likes

That’s a great point.

If you like angry lyrics, look up those for the song heard very briefly on the latest KFC advert.

“Down with the sickness” by Disturbed.

I wonder if anyone checks these things as another recent advert contained an instrumental section of OMD’s “Enola Gay”.

TBH the angriest lyric I’ve probably enjoyed is from “you’re so vain” .

And they say advertisers are humourless. :wink:

in English please?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

OH and I love watching The Voice… and there is a marked difference in style…

the shouting, aggressive stuff… which you mention… does not appeal and (for me anyway) does not showcase a persons musical ability… rather the strength of their lungs,

watching the judges’ faces when a beautiful melody, well presented… comes along… shows that this is a whole different ball game.

and it’s interesting to watch/hear a singer start with one style, then move effortlessly to the other… not many can carry this off… but when one does… it is really magical.

1 Like

Rubato? It’s the adjustment of timing to suit the expression of the music. It’s obvious when a song slows down towards the end, but can also be used during the song subtly to build feeling. An example might be from Madness’ Night Boat To Cairo, where the timing is gently sped up during the main instrumental. Or maybe the drummer just couldn’t keep time? :smile:

This kind of thing can’t happen when the drummer is forced to play to a metronome click track. It’s also often the difference between live recording where the band works together as a unit and studio recording with parts laid down individually, although many bands use a click track live for the drummer now.

2 Likes

Yes dancing is the same. The worst thing you can do is go off time. Until you’re so good that it’s clear you did it on purpose.

1 Like

I just love their cover of The Sound Of Silence

1 Like

:+1:

Agreed, mind you “I will survive” is pretty angry.

1 Like

Pretty much anything/everything from Roger Waters over the past 50 years
Warning, contains swearing :scream:

That’s not one I know.

I’ve always been a fan of PF, but in terms of enjoyment the lyrics sometimes sucked compared to the music, increasingly with the content produced by Waters. With Another Brick I’d put up with the song in order to get to the guitar solo for example. - just another guy protesting about the establishment.

1 Like

On the sing along to theme, had mild hysterics today as singing teacher was asking me what opera I knew. And could only think of “just one cornetto”, which I then had to sing. Pavarotti I am not!

Not all younger people are aggressive and discordant….one of my favorites.

1 Like

:rofl:

No, not all younger people are those things. Some are a little nutty, but I like their sense of humour. :wink:

Like Danny Jones from Mc Fly he really has a great voice.

Thanks for the explanation AM. I’ve heard of a click track in the context of a film score where the music has to map onto the action taking place. I didn’t realise it existed in other music.

1 Like