Have you/Do you change your tyres for Winter and Summer?

I change my tyres in spring and autumn and drive in all conditions because I don’t really have any choice, unless the road is actually closed :relaxed:

Not everybody has a possibility to practise driving in winter conditions like this 8 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06OC5OZgkCg

It need not cost a fortune to do this.

I bought a set of identical wheels to those on my car that came with 4 good continental summer tyres (ie not winter tyres) , for less than the cost of the tyres.

I then took off the continental tyres (and stored them in the garage) and replaced with winter tyres and used them for 5 months of each year.

When my summer tyres needed replacing I used the 4 good continental tyres.

The summer tyres now with only 7 months per year obviously wear out slower.

All in I don’t think it really added to the costs of the tyres overall as the wheels were in effect free due to coming with 4 good tyres - just an issue of cash flow but the cost was no more.

2 Likes

I have a separate set of wheels with winter tyres that I could fit. They were compulsory when I lived in Germany.

2 Likes

I expect it is each to their own. Some may have not thought or bothered about it. I have considered it before in UK, but didn’t in the end.
I guess the considerations are, how far you travel, the type of vehicle, what sorts of roads, how much storage space you have.
The last one is pertinent for those who live in houses without decent external storage space…most of French property seems to have that space .
Relatively short distances in a L/Rover , then you would already have all terrain ?
For someone with a saloon car/van it could be more pertinent , and as Mat has done… buy another set of wheels…( if they have good tyres a big bonus), then just get an alternate winter set.

Something that many perhaps do not know…wider tyres on cars, work the opposite to good grip in snow. Thinner wheels are better in snow. Also ABS is a pain…if you can disable your ABS in snow conditions, you will fare better.
General purpose 4 wheel drive cars are great for those conditions too…such as Subaru Foresters…4 wheel drive a massive help…( not an excuse to drive faster :wink: )

You can now also go for Michelin Crossclimate tyres and get a good allround tyre without the need for changing.

Ours are on a spare set of wheels…makes the change much easier and helps the tyres last longer. Our local garage will store wheels for a small fee, which we don’t need to do as have space but some people in town use them.

Change mine

OH reckons he will change to the winter wheels/tyres at the weekend… just to be on the safe side…

This week’s festivities are all within walking distance…although he may have to carry me if it is slippery…:wink:

No, can’t afford to. If the weather is really bad then I stay at home :dizzy_face:

1 Like

A deputy proposes a decree to the mountain law.
From November 2019, motorists must have winter tires or chains.
A measure for mountain departments

1 Like

Seems reasonable in certain areas…

In Spring 2019… a decision will be reached on which areas are involved… and then it will come into force, in those areas, from 1 November 2019…

"Au printemps prochains, les comités de massifs (Pyrénées, Alpes, Vosges, Massif Central, Corse) décideront de la zone précise de réglementation. Une fois la décision prise, l’obligation sera effective au 1er novembre 2019 . "

Typically stupid, what if it’s a heatwave, write the legislature based on temperature and weather conditions?

John… this is aimed at the snowy mountains… where too many folk go unprepared for the conditions and cause all sorts of problems… :thinking:

1 Like

A few winters ago…I went to hospital in an ambulance fitted with snow socks… first time I had seen/heard of such… excellent idea and worked very well.

I think it makes sense - it is a simple rule that can be understood by all in the mountains. Winter tyres will continue to work outside their optimal operating temperature range - I think they wear out more quickly perhaps(?)

If you were to try and formally legislate based on the weather conditions expected it would be unenforceable.

Yes they are good, not sure how long they last if you hit clear tarmac, more comfortable than chains

Yep we have to legislate for the weakest was it just for the mountains?

I think it was just for the mountains.

The winter tyres that I’ve got have worn very well. They are a bit noisy around town and have less grip than the normal tyres when it’s damp but they’re no problem to use.