Have you/Do you change your tyres for Winter and Summer?

Interesting, because of the increased draft angle on the tread blocks and increased depth of the tread they should be better, mine were. Tread is only there to clear water otherwise we would drive on slicks

They are narrower, a smaller diameter a larger profile and a harder compound than the normal tyres. Slicks and damp don’t really go together although there was a lot of fun to be had when I had a National 100 kart and used it when there was a bit of moisture around.
I always used ‘winter wheels’ when going skiing because the narrower tyres were always easier to fit snow chains onto and on steel rims I didn’t have to worry about damaging the alloys.

I spent last Christmas in Iceland and the cars had studded tyres They were extremely noisy

Now that is getting serious!

We couldn’t understand why every car was so noisy, then we realised about the tires. They needed them though. If you look at my picture that’s me stood ON a lake on Christmas Day

The Pompiers knew which roads were cleared,so we stopped just short each time… to remove the socks… as I say, apart from the fact that I was in pain… it was an interesting ride… :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

The compound of STD tyres goes hard in winter and doesn’t flex so they become clogged and useless. Winter are softer when temp drops and the movement clears the snow allowing more grip.

1 Like

I have Michelin winter tires. I don’t find them noisy. Spec says they are good up to speeds of 170 km/h

I imagine that once the Law is passed re chains/winter tyres in certains areas… if, by any chance, there is a heatwave and NO snow… the Prefecture will issue an edict moving the goalposts… (as already happens with regards to many, many Laws…:thinking:)

1 Like

If you live in a place that’s always below a particular temperature you can split as many hairs as you like. I’m talking from actual experience of using winter tyres in normal winters in Germany and the Alps. I don’t need lessons about tyres, you will know more about swimming pools than me because I dislike them intensely but tyres? I doubt it.

1 Like

Thanks, as an engineer I know about quite a lot of things and I believe I understand how winter compound tyres function, having had them on many rally cars and works vans.
If you can add anything to enlighten readers over and above what the following articles say be my guest. Nothing says that winter tyres are stiffer and worse in the wet so please explain.

" So, how do cold-weather and winter tyres work?

The science bit is easily explained. Winter/cold-weather tyres contain more natural rubber than regular tyres, and are constructed of a softer compound. This allows them to stay supple as temperatures drop below 7 degrees C, maintaining higher grips levels on the road, in conditions where a normal tyre becomes hard and less keyed-in to the asphalt.

If you see a winter tyre up close, you’ll spot that the tread is different to a more conventional summer tyre. The contact patch of a winter tyre is more rugged: they’re covered in thousands of ‘sipes’ – tiny channels cut into the rubber which help displace water at a faster rate. On snow, it’s these little crevices that bite into the soft stuff, giving purchase and grip. A regular tyre’s channels quickly become clogged with compacted snow and effectively become a racing slick, hence the Bambi-on-frozen-lake handling."

Full article:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/ollie-kew/the-science-of-winter-tyres-how-they-work/

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/winter-tyres-in-the-uk

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/should-i-buy-winter-tyres/

Could go on but they all say the same thing, softer compound, better water/snow clearing tread.

1 Like

Yawn.

Yes yawn! Over to you to prove otherwise…

Feu Vert have some interesting offers at the moment… :thinking:

https://www.feuvert.fr/

Norauto is also good to keep an eye on. … although they are homing in on brakes at the moment…

http://m.mkt.norauto.fr/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40G5hEPqgToX0uy7DwMX2MqL1zC3u%2BmOA26Bvu13aQRmI%3D

Living in a mountainous region we get thoroughly pissed off when roads are blocked because stupid people think they can drive with unequipped cars and then get stuck. The worst are british tourists, which makes me ashamed.

Even when signs are out saying don’t go any further if your car is not equipped they still do. So quite happy to have all this made illegal and then perhaps the fines will pay the cost of the emergency services needed to haul them out.

Ok, so it’s November and 17degrees with only one fall of snow. But winter tyres don’t melt…

3 Likes

Image may contain: text and outdoor

5 Likes

Agreed in principle and in practice, having like David, had winter tyres every year since 1989, when I lived in Germany (one of my first German driving lessons was in a total whiteout snowstorm, and my instructor insisted it was good practice - although at the time I took him to be a bit of a headcase, I was very glad of the experience and it has served me well so far).

I would add that locally where I live, it isn’t British tourists that are the worst, but the locals themselves, most of whom can’t be bothered to fit winter tyres despite this being a mountainous area that receives snow at least once a year and where public service cuts have taken a legendary toll on the preparedness of communes to deal with any snowfall event, no matter how insignificant. No great surprise then when many of the locals end up in ditches, or blocking the road.

Sounds like Sweden, Volvos and Opels had an annual meeting in the ditch …

1 Like

We don’t change ours either.
So far if we have been snowed in the cantonnier comes and clears the road.
Of course he pushes all the snow into our drive so we have to dig that out.
We don’t get enough problems to bother and, like you, we stay at home until the roads are clear again.
A lot of the time the snow sublines off the road anyway.