Having yet another go at Yorkshire Pudding

Make it in a jug with a stick mixer if you’re in a hurry, as others have said let the mixture rest for an hour or so as you would for crèpes.
You heat up the metal pan in the oven, add the dripping once it’s hot and heat it a bit more - the dripping (or oil) needs to be VERY hot when you pour the batter in.

Yes you begin with the egg - but with weighing equal amounts same applies surely? It’s the variable ingredient in the mix

Resting is key. Along with temperature during tha time snd how hot the fat is in the oven

• vegetable oil
  • 2 large free-range eggs
  • 100 g plain flour
  • 100 ml milk

this the recipe from Jamie Oliver - if you weigh your eggs, 50gr (without shell) is about a medium/large egg roughly the same volume as 100gr flour/100 ml (gr) milk

2 Likes

Wow, I turn my back to watch a film for a bit and as if by magic 24 posts about Yorkshire Pudding. :astonished:
I love YP but have no intention of making it but this from @Shiba did make me laugh:

Farine fluide works very well My mother used to take home bags of it to the UK as her yorkshires were wonderful and she found this grade excellent.

because I heard on the radio this afternon that Mary Berry, off by air to the US, was taken aside because they were suspicious of the various containers of white powder in her luggage. :rofl:

6 Likes

Makes me want to say a bad word about stupid people.

It wasn’t just one bag at a time either but several. Suppose having Super U plastered all over them didn’t raise suspicious minds.

Why on earth would it, no smuggler would ever come up with such a ploy, would they? :thinking: :rofl:

Fairey cakes eh?

1 Like

Same here, it was suggested on SF and works every time.

I make it in a measuring jug, 2 eggs first then same volume of flour and then same again of milk. Whisk all together, put in fridge for an hour.

Preheat oven to 220 degees, heat tray with oil in, add mixture and cook for 20 mins.

1 Like

I want toad in the hole now!

6 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

Archimedean displacement?

1 Like

Being pedantic that would be the weight of an egg not the volume.

Not very good at this sort of physics stuff, but if one was a totally nerdy scientific chef one would use a measuring cylinder to measure the volume that had been displaced

I just use a couple of identical measuring jugs and go up to the same level each time. But most of the time I do it à vue de nez and it still seems to work. My children like one big Yorkshire pudding with pouffy crunchy edges and a stodgy middle so that’s what I aim for. I use duck fat.

2 Likes

Far better than veg oil

1 Like

Only if it sank

Marvellous for roast potatoes too … we always save it if we’re cooking magret de canard.

3 Likes

You can also get it in a big tub, the same as the deli ones, in Inter. At least you can here in the SW.

2 Likes