Healthcare after Brexit - all you need to know!

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/healthcare-when-travelling-abroad/healthcare-in-france/

the NHS webpage was last reviewed 28 August 2019.

Sorry got the name wrong, This is a copy of the correspondance.

Dear Richard
As you are not a resident in the UK, you would not be able to access hospital services within England on the NHS, you would be charged for this service.
Kind Regards

Shaquille
Customer Contact Advisor

NHS England Customer Contact Centre

NHS England and NHS Improvement

Email: england.contactus@nhs.net

Tel: 0300 3112233

Web: www.england.nhs.uk and www.improvement.nhs.uk

Sent: 05 September 2019 16:21
To: CONTACTUS, England (NHS ENGLAND & NHS IMPROVEMENT - X24) england.contactus@nhs.net
Subject: RE: Brexit Enquiry Reference CAS-636396 SL

Are you saying that I cannot access healthcare in the UK as at present?

Richard

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

But it does not refer to the situation where S1 pensioners may get NHS treatment without being permanent residents. Thats why I raised the question.

The use of weasel words to hide unpalatable facts. It’s all of a piece with prorogation of parliament and threats of disobeying the law.

Personally, I think “Shaquille” is not reading the NHS Directive correctly. Have you made Shaquille aware you already have an S1 and EHIC issued by UK and are therefore eligible for Free Health Care in UK. (I am presuming you do have said documentation.)

The NHS site is quite clear. If you have the S1 rights to UK NHS before Brexit, you will still have those rights after Brexit.

The site does go on to talk about EHIC no longer being valid for UK Residents visiting France… but that is not our scenario.

Hi Stella,

You are being mislead. The government site is wrong. If you don’t believe the email I sent to you then ask the NHS site for yourself. All the details of the contact are on the copy email that I posted. If you read this you will see that I was specific about my status.

Incidently, did you know that EHIC cards are not currently being issued.

Richard

If the Govt Site is not correct, then everyone is being misled.

I can understand why European Health Insurance Card EHIC are not currently being issued, since the intention is that they will not have any purpose after BREXIT since “European” will no longer be relevant.

My point.

Well we have letters from the NHS clearly stating that asS1 holders we have the right to access free healthcare in the UK. And until someone writes and tells me otherwise that is what I will believe.

It is somewhat of a red herring, as if you return to the UK as a British Citizen you can immediately access free healthcare if you intend to be ordinarily resident. If you don’t, then S1 holders are equally entitled. If you are not an S1 holder then of course it depends on what type of brexit we have as to whether French issued EHIC is still valid. But the reality is that anyone with a british accent is unlikely to be challenged or asked questions about residence rights.

No, but if you turn up in, say, a hospital emergency department you would be asked your address and GP - if you planned ahead and arranged a forwarding address with a family member and made sure you were still registered with a GP there, then you would be very unlucky to be challenged - if OTOH your answers are “somewhere in France” and “Oh, I don’t have a GP but can give you the address of my MT - can you send correspondence in French?” you might find it more complex.

Well yes, you need to have a few smarts about this😉. And if you want to use the NHS for anything other than an unanticipated health issue while on holiday there then you should do it properly

Bit I really feel that Richard Perou is creating a conspiracy where none exists. Yes democracy has gone down the drain in the UK but I don’t think Dominic Cummings has got his sticky fingers on the NHS website yet.

1 Like

“Consultus Care & Nursing agency is a long-established, family-run, provider of live-in carers and nurses offering 24-hour, personalised, private live-in care in the client’s home.”

Pliagiarisation of the NHS logo?
I doubt that the NHS would write to me as “Dear Graham”. I’d report this to the real NHS as a scam.
Besides, it is the DWP who provide the access to the NHS.

Probably just another chunk of the NHS being slowly and quietly privatised - like agency nursing and A&E cover staff.
The agencies are making a F***ing fortune. Grrr.

1 Like

Err…I think it was a typo for “Consult us” or “Contact us”.

And first names are v common in UK. When I first moved to france I found it odd that so much was addressed to Madame Jones.

Sorry @JaneJones not so… look at the link I posted…
Selection_006

I was talking about the original OP, not your commemt

“At last it has been admitted. After Oct 31 S1 pensioners will have to pay In the UK.

“As you are not a resident in the UK, you would not be able to access hospital services within England on the NHS, you would be charged for this service.”
Contactus NHS”

That would be an odd and inconsistent position assuming that the S1 system continues post Brexit because what it says is that the NHS is liable for the costs of your healthcare, but only if you are in receipt of that healthcare outside the UK.

That said odd and inconsistent seems to be the hallmark of UK government these days.

Wires are being crossed, knotted and generally tied up.

The “as you are not resident…” quote relates to those WITHOUT an S1.

It’s now on BBC News - but we said it FIRST here on our Forum !!:relaxed::shushing_face::star_struck:

EXTRACT:
*So, what about those existing rights to free NHS treatment?

The government says that if you are a UK pensioner, student or posted worker in the EU, your rights would not change.

A Department of Health and Social Care official said: “We want to reassure UK nationals living in the EU whose healthcare costs are currently met by the UK government that they will be able to use NHS services for free in the same way as they do now.”

(As we have outlined during the thread… anyone living outside UK, who does NOT fall into one of the 3 categories above - such folk will NOT be automatically entitled to free Health Care in UK after Brexit No Deal…)

So for those of us without an S1 it’s back to the good old days of travel insurance.

Yup