Healthcare after Brexit - all you need to know!

Any Brit folk here in France “without an S1 and not UK Pensioners/students/posted-worker” … will surely be paying into the French Health Care and thus will be using a French-issued “European HIC” to visit UK (at the moment).

Am I correct??

Travel Insurance - only for those countries outside the EU ??? …:relaxed::relaxed: (which will include UK after Brexit no deal)

If Britain is no longer in the EU, will a European HIC still be valid in the UK pb (post brexshit)?

I don’t think it will be.

wouldn’t think so… only UK issued ones for the 3 categories… French EHIC’s are valuable throughout Europe but not elsewhere… and UK will no longer be part of Europe…

This is all about No Deal and might change depending on agreements made at a later date.

Travel Ins to UK? how expensive is that for those who will need it… does anyone have an idea/experience ??

(We always took out TInsurance donkeys years ago, when holidaying outside UK. It can’t have been too expensive or we would have stayed at home.)

So in reverse those with S1 and UK EHIC cannot use the card anywhere other than UK post brexshit?
And if S1 system is withdrawn then all uk pensioners currently having medical treatment in France for example for which the UK refunds will in future have to pay for it themselves or take out insurance?
Sorry in advance if I am misunderstanding the situation but the whole thing seems full of ifs and buts.
Another thought, I am both a french and UK OAP In receipt of a pension from both states. I have been fully immersed in the french healthcare system for 11 years. When I reached 65 and recieved UK pension should I have applied to UK for S1?

Hi John… I’m sure I read on the NHS website (link on this thread) that if folk are in receipt of UK Pension AND a Pension from the country in which they live… then it is the country in which they live that is responsible for their Health Cover. - so France will issue you with a European Insurance Card and yes, you will need Travel Insurance to go to countries outside Europe (as is currently the case anyway)

other folk will chime in if I’ve got it wrong…

We have a rolling annual worldwide travel insurance policy so this doesn’t affect us, the EHIC card only covers emergency health care so IMO adequate travel insurance is essential anyway.

1 Like

To the first question, yes a UK issued EHIC will dematerialise in your wallet on Brexit day (with a no deal Brexit) as the UK will no longer be in Europe.

And if the S1 system is withdrawn then those affected will just have to do exactly what french people do, ie pay cotisations. Which are approx 8% of your income above 10,000€.

Final point - who pays for your healthcare now? If it’s covered then probably no Difference had you got an S1. If it isn’t then you have probably missed out.

Thanks Stella, it always seems difficult to find a relevant part within a document that applies to your circumstances and when you do the next paragraph seems to contradict it :thinking:
I do have a french issued EHIC so I suppose that answers my question/thoughts.

1 Like

From insurance website = but UK one which are often cheaper

“The cost of single-trip travel insurance varies greatly depending on personal circumstances and details of the holiday.

The destination of a trip has a significant impact: the average premium for single-trip insurance to Spain is £9.99. The cheapest foreign countries to visit are the Netherlands and the Republic of Ireland, with an average price of £6.79 – while Antigua is the most expensive, at £34.75 for insurance.

Keep in mind that these average premiums only apply to policies for people who don’t have pre-existing medical conditions. If you need this level of cover, the price of your policy will likely increase in order to pay for any potential medical treatment you may need.”

1 Like

Final point - who pays for your healthcare now? If it’s covered the probably no Differemce has yiu got an S1. If it isn’t then you habe probably missed out.

Thanks Jane, I think you must have fingers like mine that miss the keys😂
Can you enlarge on the above please

Ha ha… John… You’ve already answered the question - France pays for your Health Care… !!!

1 Like

What I meant was that if you are not paying cotisations or private health insurance and have a Carte Vitale then someone is paying for your health cover.

(I don’t mean the percentage of each bill that everyone has to pay directly or via a top up mutuelle insurance)

1 Like

Presumably - in fact that’s what I assumed Tim meant when he said “So for those of us without an S1 it’s back to the good old days of travel insurance.”

It will also be back to travel insurance for UK visitors to Europe, of course.

Things are getting a little complicated. Tim has year-round travel insurance already.

Folk may or may not need Travel Insurance in the future - depending on who goes where and what their personal Health Cover situation is like. Very much a wait and see situation in my view. :thinking:

IMO you should always have travel insurance rather than just rely on the EHIC card, we use a UK insurer who provides cover for expats at a reasonable cost. Unless people are travelling after the 1st of November then of course there’s no need to do anything.

I think my options are much clearer… I don’t plan to go back to the cess pit called england any time soon :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Must confess I did not think of TIns when we toured Portugal and Spain - and realise how lucky we were. Although in those days we were more concerned about the old cars than the old fogies…:upside_down_face::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I was aware of this but didn’t know the actual figures so thanks for the explanation. I assume this is calculated on an individual basis. Also do you know how a UK State Pension and UK govt pension would be assessed. I understand the tax situation but this is new to me