Hearing Aids and hearing loss

Lidl has some reduced of their hearing aids showing online on their “sale” showing from Weds next week. Offers seem to differ across branches though.

Lidl health-type electronic kit doesn’t seem to be too bad for some things. Seems often made in Germany. Like Beurer brand labelled Lidl. The little bite zapper I got (and I think @SuePJ got) nearly 2 months ago is brilliant and has changed my summer.

1 Like

@AngelaR Have you seen what the free-hearing-aids are like ??
Interested for OH who is driving me nuts…

@Stella As far as I can tell, Stella, they are like “normal” ones - small and behind the ear. The reason they are free (AKA Category 1) is because they only amplify ( think) rather than adjust across the frequency range. However, I need to go and see the hearing aid centre in the next few days so if you haven’t got any better information before then, I’ll ask!

1 Like

Yes, please gather all the info you can… cheers

1 Like

As they are in the UK but they lack features like noise cancelling and Bluetooth conectivity allowing a tv to play at a certain level for wearers different to non wearers in the same room.

I agree they should do other colours because other colours matter too

Today I have bought some new hearing aids .
The surprise, if you can call it that, was that they were cheaper then last time, but don’t be fooled the aids themselves were more expensive then last time ,it was the security social and mutual who have coughed up more this time.
Phonak Audeo P 70
Anyway total cost 3200€ deduct from that secu 480€ mutuelle 1320 which left 1400€ left for me to pay. There will be if its not been stopped a tax allowance of 700€ half of the some left to pay.
Now starts the process of running them in visits every two weeks or sooner if required for a few. months.

Flocreen…Ouch.

At that price, do they fly to the moon as well?
Wondering what they would cost in the UK

My mothers cost close to 5000 pounds last year so I think mine are cheap.

My Mothers cost £2000. They were an improvement.
Personally I would go with something I can tune myself at home.

There is a phonak app for home tuning

1 Like

I couldn’t justify even that, but it does explain why my 2 attempts at hearing aids have failed, they were too cheap.

I am not deaf, or really not even hard of hearing, but there are certain voices, more female than male, that sound ‘woolly’ to me. This shows itself in French, especially on the telephone, and radio (why can’t someone invent subtitles for radio?) and TV. For instance, I can only really appreciate fast talking multiple voices on such as Have I Got News For You, in the repeat. In the original the subtitles lag too far behind the action.

It helps if I cup my ears towards the telly, but I can’t hold that pose for long, just as I couldn’t stand the experiment wearing a dog’s ‘Elizabethan Collar’, of which I have several, gained over many years of protecting dogs from themselves after operations. :rofl:

Just realised my link wasnt of the product it should have been so trying again.

https://www.puretone.net/shop/product/nuheara-iqbuds²-max-hearing-buds/

I know that Phonak is a good choice, but I’d like to have more variants to choose from. So, any updates and recommendations are appreciated.

Sonova Holding AG is an internationally active Swiss group of companies headquartered in Stäfa that specializes in hearing care. The Sonova group operates through its core business brands Phonak, Unitron, Hansaton, Advanced Bionics, AudioNova and Sennheiser. It is one of the largest providers in the sector worldwide.

So youll probably end up with one of their products just with a different label.

Andy Rihs, who died a few years back and was founder and owner of Phonak, was also a passionate cyclist and sponsored the Phonak cycling team, and later BMC bikes. Totally irrelevant to choosing a hearing aid but random information that stuck in my head.

Sadly Phonak cycling had several top cyclists done for drugs…

Perhaps they give them away with the hearing aids. :thinking:

A question.
OH has gone to the hearing test at Boots who said the bluetooth versions only work with apple products. I feel sure bluetooth is a comunication protocol and not in anyway exclusive to apple and should work with android devices as well?
What do people know?

I tried my luck at Boots when in England recently, but apparently not all branches do the tests. So I never got to hear such advice.

How do they work though? Do they relay sound through a smartphone or something else that needs carrying around?

It could be down to the Bluetooth audio codecs they’ve chosen to use. The AAC codec was designed with Apple devices in mind. Some Android devices can cope with it but many can’t.

I think that some hearing aids send the audio to your smartphone for analysis/setting up. I’d have thought the control elements would work on Android though.

1 Like

Thats one possibilty so you can answer your phone using your hearing aids but also connect them to a hifi, lowfi, or an equipped tv for instance.