Hearing Aids and hearing loss

As most android devices are more popular by market share and can use most codecs for playing music from various sources I would also be surprised but maybe its just an apple app the shop person was talking about, they might just be parroting and know nothing.

I found an article giving some background info on the Bluetooth codec situation which @Corona may find interesting.

1 Like

Cheers Brian, I will read it a bit later.

Edit: thanks Brian, seems pretty straight forward to me. When OH gets her new ones I told her to say we’d buy her an i-phone so she can have blue tooth connectivity but will certainly explore her android phone first

I have been using Phonak hearing aids for a couple of months now and, although they were expensive, I do not regret the investment.

They are rechargeable each night so there is no messing about with tiny batteries which I would find difficult with my arthritic fingers.

I can now hear conversations in noisy restaurants. They seem to use some clever noise cancelling technology which needs to be adjusted by an expert.

There is an app for a smartphone where you can make some adjustment for volume or choose a specific program like restaurant, music, TV etc.

You can link to blue tooth enabled devices such as computer, tablet, smartphone, TV etc. This is amazing because I can work away in my work shop listening to the radio, or listen to TV at a different volume to others in the room.

BUT the best thing of all is I have also bought a new smartphone called a Jellyphone 2E https://www.unihertz.com/fr-fr/products/jelly-2 that cost about €150 on Amazon. This runs Anroid 11 and does everything any other smartphone does EXCEPT that it is tiny, about 9cm X 5 cm and slips unobtrusively in my shirt pocket.

You can receive phone calls just by touching the phone in your right ear, you can also make (hands free) phone calls by saying “Hey Google call Mable”. In fact, you can use any “Hey google” commands at any time such as “What’s the time” or “What’s the weather” and hear the reply in your hearing aids. But beware of doing this in public because you get same strange looks.

1 Like

In the event of an expert not being available the shop person does it :joy:

1 Like

Especially if they are using google assistant devices.:blush:

1 Like

I never thought of that :flushed:

Phonak Audeo is great. I know they are not cheap at all, but absolutely worth the money. There is also a good chance to find some offers in the hearing aid store , as they often have discounts and special offers. Of course there are also different cheaper options available but i think that is not the thing to save money one.

2 Likes

I have that sort of thing too and I think they are phonac as well. However, the down side to these is if you lose power to the house or wherever. That happened to me and I ended up unable to hear as well as cold :roll_eyes:

Car charging adapter, are they USB 5v?

Yes - standard USB. Could charge them off the car I suppose. Wouldn’t want to do it for long though.

Very small powerdrain you should be ok. I SAID YOU SHOULD BE OK :joy:

2 Likes

Half past two…

3 Likes