Heed the warning

If I recall, your neighbour is an ex-pompier and doubtless knows their local phone number which will not be the Official 18 as advertised…

for us mortals 18 is the number to phone…
From my own many experiences, I can confirm that the response is swift… Pompiers on 18 not only answer the phone immediately (much quicker than Samu) but , as soon as you give your address, they’re alerting the pompiers local to you

As the link says…
112 is the european number and will give you someone who speaks your language…

I’ve never used 112 so can’t report back on it…

Ten / fifteen years ago I carried out a telecommunications audit on the London Ambulance Service and was told the direct dial inward phone number to the control centre!

:rofl: :rofl: so you know which number to call if you want 'em… in UK

but here in France… things are different… 18 is the Pompier number to call… :wink:

Exactly, he called his mates, and vital seconds were saved. :joy:

Well it’s quite confusing. In what kind of circumstances would you call SAMU ? I have called them once, for advice really, and they told me to get myself to Urgences which was fine in the circumstances and quicker than them coming out - but will they no longer do that ?

Frankly, I’d never call Samu unless the Pompiers advised me to… and even then, if Samu subsequently gave me the runaround… I know Pompiers would quickly jump back into the equation and I’d not hesitate to phone them back and report Samu’s response (lack of it).

Getting a bit boring, this agreeing with you all the time @Stella :rofl:, but I feel exactly the same way, after I had wasted time with the SAMU, and then Mario had called his friends at the Pompiers, Samu called them just as they were already leaving following his call.

1 Like

One morning I found a neighbour in the middle of winter sleeping naked, save for a short cotton vest, on the mud floor of his barn. It wasn’t a medical physical emergency, as I knew he had mental problems, but the circumstances were such that I felt I had to call someone. I can’t remember what number I rang, probably 18, but after I explained the situation, I was told that my call would be referred to the Pompiers. And they arrived so promptly. They wrapped him up and took him to the hospital, but unfortunately never to return home. I was impressed with their response.

3 Likes

I had an incident a few years ago where I collapsed in the doctor’s car park before I could make it inside. The pompiers were called and got there quickly, but couldn’t do anything for me. Later the doctor told me they were making bets whether I’d make it or not and put the odds at 50/50. I smiled thinking he was pulling my leg, but he wasn’t - he said my blood pressure was so low, they weren’t sure if I’d make it! The French have a way of being quite direct. :slight_smile: Apparently I spent an hour on the tarmac (I don’t remember it all) before the ambulance arrived…
For many things the pompiers are still the best first port of call.

Yes, 112 is the national/EU emergency number. In theory there may be English speakers available too.

OH has crushed the end of her thumb in a door this morning. The nail is badly split and it’s bleeding and badly bruised. We can’t call SAMU for that, as the official french line is that it’s for emergencies that require an emergency medical practitioner only. Dito the pompiers. If you can’t just turn up at Urgence for something like this, then what to do ?

Call your doctor

2 Likes

Bandage it as best you can and pop to the Pharmacy… unless your Doc is able to see her…

1 Like

That was my take on the situation as well, but OH has an appointment already Friday morning and wants to wait until then. I’d prefer she sees someone today, but I suppose it’s up to her. We have all the kit here to take care of everything from an insect bite to a missing limb :grin: so I’ve quite professionally cleaned and bandaged it. Those first aid courses can be very handy :+1:

2 Likes

Pharmacy is a good idea.

In general these sort of minor injuries may not need a doctor. So consider what a doctor could actually do? Is the skin broken and needs stitches? Does it feel as if she has broken her finger so needs an x-ray?

If neither then ice, elevation and paracetamol if it throbbing may well be all that’s possible. Bandage if you want, but not tightly.

2 Likes

Skin under the fingernail is broken and the nail itself is badly broken. She trapped it in the door jamb when shutting the door (not sure how !) . The impact point was the centre of the nail, so very close to the end so probably no break. We’ve bandaged, elevated and iced it already but it looks a mess.

Ouch! I think tea, sympathy and chocolate treatment also needed.

4 Likes

Two weeks ago my oh was sweeping dust off a work surface and a scalpel went straight through the top of his finger. The nurse in our village said to call samu and go to ER due to risk of infection.

I think explain the situation to them and get your wife’s thumb seen to.

My husband abhors going to the doctor and refused to go. Luckily it has totally healed up now.

3 Likes

Frankly, speaking with Doc and/or Pharmacy now… rather than talking in a couple of days… might be best…

It’s a minor injury… thus no need for Emergency CallOuts… but that doesn’t mean it should be ignored.

A&E are overloaded as it is… and if the Doc/Pharmacy can deal with this… that’s fair enough…

3 Likes

Thanks all for you advice. It looks like the pharmacie will be the best option.

1 Like