Heed the warning

Another example of why one should call the Pompiers and NOT the Samu…

Reading this account, it’s like I’m reliving the terrible time Samu wasted 4 hours arguing the toss… which I related some years ago.

2 Likes

Just to add an additional slightly concerning note - I went to the nearest sizeable hospital today for my “controle” X-ray and noticed that, plastered all over the entrances, was a large notice in red saying that no-one would be accepted at Urgences who hadn’t called Samu first. I know the pompiers do notify Samu as well, but I was a bit bothered.

Also, if this is widespread (which it may not be of course as it could just be that hospital) it does mean that we can’t just turn up at Urgences any more…

They don’t want folk simply turning up… at that hospital at least… and that’s fair enough…

Pompiers and Samu work together… but Pompiers will always answer a call for help… immediately.

1 Like

Local experience definitely echoes yours @stella . I just thought that people should know there’s a possibility they may be turned away if they haven’t rung (directly or indirectly) Samu

During the 4 hour delay before hospitalisation… I took it upon myself to ring the Pompiers but they couldn’t come out as Samu had already been contacted… (aaargh) and (just as in today’s Press) Samu even refused the Doc’s request to collect/help the person who was suffering a heart attack (in this instance) …

Phone Pompiers first, they will need to know what the emergency is… and they will react swiftly and efficiently… they make contact with whichever hospital… all is done properly.

Always my policy, in fact the one time I phoned SAMU and then our retired Pompier neighbour rang the local station, as they left immediately they had just got a call from SAMU.

I seem to recall a similar thread a while bask :slightly_smiling_face:. We would always phone the pompiers first!

I was so gobsmacked at this latest fiasco, I thought it worth mentioning (again)
Can’t hurt to remind folk of what’s what.

1 Like

My DIL and grandson had to go to urgences last week as they both woke up hardly able to see from very bad conjunctivitis and the local doctor could not see them for a couple of days nor the chemist able to help until they knew how bad it was. Luckily they only had an hour’s wait to be seen and given a prescription for some very heavy duty eye drops and also info about contagion etc. Its the norm here to go to Urgences as there are not enough doctors and SAMU are not interested unless its a real emergency as they also have a shortage of personnel. What a terrible situation we are beginning to suffer here but still better than the UK from all accounts.

Yes indeed, @shiba . I think for something like a suspected heart attack or whatever, there is no question in my mind about ringing the pompiers. However, for my recent problem it wouldn’t have occurred to me to ring them as I was mobile, more or less. I went to the GP who told me I had to go to Urgences as it was a weekend and only they could do the relevant checks. With the new rule here on not going to Urgences oneself, I wonder what I could have done…

One occasion, I phoned our Doc (thankfully the Receptionist put me through). After discussions with Doc to clarify the situation, it was the Doc who alerted the hospital that OH would be arriving…

Sounds sensible. Hopefully that would happen for me another time - not that I want another time, you understand :roll_eyes: :rofl:

None of us wants to find ourselves in an emergency situation.

I was nervous the first time I had to call “someone” urgently… here in France…
I phoned the Pompiers, explained my fears for OH, described the symptoms…
I think it’s a heart attack… I said in a somewhat wavering voice…
Pompiers were onsite in a flash…
The Head-Pompier made it plain that they would rather come out and find the situation was not as serious as previously thought… than that they are Not called…or called tooo late.
OH was taken in hand and whisked to hospital… had I waited or had his care been delayed he might not be with me today… (yes, it was a heart attack)
phew…

3 Likes

Is it the same phone number for pompiers throughtout france or are there regional numbers?

The same.

1 Like

It always irritates me that there are all these numbers to remember in France (and yes, we do have them pinned up on our cork board). The UK is much simpler - only one number to remember in a real emergency and no confusion. 999. When I’m panicking, or someone is panicking on my behalf, the last thing I want to be doing (or them to be doing) is going is it 16? or 17? or 18? or maybe it’s 20??? :thinking:

I only use 18…

(of course, if you’re deaf or hard-of-hearing 114 is the number to phone…)

Yes, the same, 18. But my neighbour rang the local station and they were on their way before the phone went down I reckon.

I think 112 may be a general emergency number rather like 999 in UK

1 Like