Hello from a Swiss living in Mayenne

Even though it’s not the first time I post something here, I have never introduced myself properly :face_with_peeking_eye: (shame on me!)

My name is Michèle, I’m Swiss and in 2025 I moved from central Switzerland to Mayenne France. It was a decision done very quickly. Living in Switzerland became just too much for me so I decided to move to France and just did it, and here I am. It was one of my best decisions ever.

While Switzerland is a beautiful country it became just too small. I’m a person who enjoys her own company. While I like people I also like to spend time just with me, myself and I (and my two dogs). In CH this is basically not possible anymore. I was not one of the lucky ones who could live on a country side farmers property and finding a affordable home on the countryside without very, super, near neighbours is for one almost not possible and two if so, not affordable. So I decided to move to France.

Why France? Well, definitely not because of the language :slight_smile: I liked northern France since I first visited years ago. For me it’s hard to explain.. I just like it. So I was like, why not France? Well then, France it is.

I found a nice place in the department of Mayenne, with lots of land and no close neighbours at all. Heaven!

The hardest thing to learn was to not hurry all the time. Patience is key. As a Swiss, hard to swallow:-)

So yeah, here I am, living a happy life in France.

6 Likes

Welcome Michelle and great to hear all about you (we’re a little bit north of you in southern Manche)

Hello and welcome.

We’re to the north-east of you in Calvados. - close to the Swiss Normande which makes our Swiss friends howl with laughter.

They also love France, although visitors not resident, mainly because it’s more anarchic than Switzerland.