Help needed because grandchildren are transitioning

Sadly, the cities where Gender Orientation Clinics plus 4 regional one, the waiting list goes from 11 to 90 months just to start.

There was a discussion on France Inter a few days ago.

Here’s a recent article about the current situation in the UK: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2024/03/inside-the-collapse-of-the-tavistock-centre

A few years ago I had the pleasure of a month long Erasmus visiting scholarship at the wonderfully ancient Charles University in Prague (older than both Oxford and Cambridge). One of their researchers with whom I’d been previously working was also the curator of the University’s Hrdlička anthropology museum whose collection resembles that of Oxford’s Pitt Rivers, but which hasn’t yet been sanitised for contemporary mores. There’s plenty to give offence, such as lots of comparative phrenological displays of indigenous peoples’ skulls from around the world, yet also fascinating examples of skulls that were successfully trepanned several thousand years ago.

There’s also the skeleton of the museum’s founder Dr. Ales Hrdlicka. Aleš Hrdlička - Wikipedia which my guide told me had often been identified by visiting medical students as that of a hermaphrodite .

The term ‘transexual’ didn’t exist in Hrdlicka’s lifetime and I wondered if donating his skeleton to the museum he’d founded wasn’t a scientific form of posthumously ‘coming out’…

3 Likes

I’ve been visiting the Pitt Rivers for more than 30 years. It’s become much less interesting with sanitisation.

1 Like

My sister’s grandson is transitioning so her response was to invite him / her over ask where they should go for lunch ( the fish and chip shop) and later ask if they would like to pick any items from her wardrobe. Some were chosen but the conversation was wide ranging and she remarked how chatty it had been, much more than previously when he had little to say. Their relationship is now much more open and she has openly said to her friends that he is now her and talks as one might about any grandchild. She has delayed the start of her engineering PHd in order to continue the transition and hopefully will be able to embrace her new role. My sister is in her early 80’s and said it’s better to accept than hide from this new reality.

5 Likes

Good for her!

1 Like