Help please - French wedding etiquette

Hmmm? What’s this got to do with wedding etiquette in France? :thinking:

I saw great, 3 new messages, so thought there would be more insights and found what… ?

3 Likes

@SuePJ

It’s quite normal for things to get a bit rowdy at a wedding… all that fizz and pop… leads to trapped wind… which has to escape somehow… :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

burps and farts…
just ignore it… and move on.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Hijacking an informative post and flinging politics into the mix is at the least misplaced.

There are other threads better suited to that kind of talk.

As @Stella says, ignore it and move on :pray:

2 Likes

Happily one can mute people! (Wish I could do the same for taons…the thundery weather seems to have brought them out in force! )

2 Likes

Oh good grief what I said about island dwellers being unwilling to say things that might possibly offend or be straightforward was intended to be humorous, thzt 7s what the emiticon was suppised to underline… although if you look at Japan it applies even more, circumlocution rules, I suppose living enclosed by water, cheek by jowl-ish forces you to develop particular evasive social mores and ritualised use of personal space etc
Be nice, no need to be a dickturpin :blush:

4 Likes

Well I laughed Vero. :rofl: No offence, real or imagined, here. :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

There’s a village wedding next weekend… yippee… some good news for a change. :hugs:

2 Likes

Me too. I thought it was rather funny personally :grin:

1 Like

More help needed please …

What should I say in the card given that they are not yet married? Seems to me saying “Félicitations et meilleurs vœux à vous deux pour votre mariage” is a bit premature, since I’m writing this a week before the wedding itself.
On the other hand, I’m assuming the card will go into the box and in fact they won’t read it until after they are married, so maybe I can use those words. What do you think?

Very British! In my experience you can’t go too far in flowery’ness😀

Nous vous souhaitons beaucoup de bonheur. Tous nos voeux de bonheur vous accompagnent en ce jour merveilleux. Que votre marriage soit aussi radieux que le soleil qui illumine cette belle journée !

Pop into a tabac and look at the inside of the félicitations cards for a wedding…!!!

3 Likes

Ah, but that’s why they love us! The family loves things British and know more about the UK than we do. So I’m going for exactly that - so that they can say when they open it, “How very British” and smile and look at each other and be glad they know us because we are not French and flowery. :grin:

2 Likes

Great answer! I stand corrected :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thank you to everyone on this thread for your help. I love SF! I WAS told off for bringing an envelope, but I’m sure it was the right thing to do. The family will head north at the end of the week taking our card with them.
And we will get to see photos afterwards.

2 Likes