Help Please Humax Box subtitles not working

Our Humax box has suddenly stopped showing subtitles on all Freesat channels. Obviously a few channels don’t have the subtitle option but we’re not getting any at all.

If I press the sub button on our remote, a message comes up on the TV screen “subtitles ON language English” and yet we have nothing.

I have tried switching everything off for 10 minutes to see if that unscrambles the box but it doesn’t.

I’m wondering whether there is some set-up on the Humax where we’ve inadvertently changed the setting so it no longer works.

Don’t know if it’s relevant, because I’m assuming it’s a Humax box problem, but we have a Samsung smart TV.

This is a nuisance as these days with most programmes we need the subtitles in order to understand what they are saying - except perhaps for the cut-glass voices on old TCM films and Foyle’s War!

Anyone any thoughts / suggestions please?

AFAIK, subtitles are currently not working on channel 4 and its sibling channels, and hasn’t been for a while. If you’re having issues on other channels, I’m not sure what could cause this.
As far as settings on the Humax box is concerned, I think you just turn it on and off using the SUB button. Which Humax box is it ? Is it a HDR 1000/1100 ?

I may suggesting the obvious, but try unplugging it from the mains and leave it that way for an hour before trying again.
Whenever I have an issue with my Humax, I find that this performs a “reboot” and all is well again.
If everything else is working as normal, try to borrow a controller from a friend and see if that works - this will pinpoint where the problem is at least.

I think the problem may have been more extensive. Suddenly last night part way through a programme with my doing nothing the subtitles reappeared!

That’s what I do Poquelin - I find10 minutes usually fixes the problem, but not in this situation

It always makes me smile when people say ‘turn it off for x minutes or hours’ as this will make absolutely no difference. Anything over a few seconds will work the same, no matter how long. A lot of people swear by it, but it really makes no difference.
Now, if it had a real time clock powered by a battery or supercap it may make a difference.

Mmm, interesting. Not been my experience. Hence my 10 minutes strategy.

Clearly some as yet unexplained quantum effect involving dolphins and Zaphod Beeblebrox…

So long, and thanks for all the fish :dolphin:

1 Like

Its usually until the power supply and capacitors have depleted their charge.

1 Like

Hence the couple of seconds. And that’s being generous.

As I said, many people swear by it, but at the end of the day, its no better than an old wives tail … but, hang on, I’m a great admirer of old wives tails, so who knows :thinking::thinking:.

Don’t forget the bowl of petunias. Or the sperm whale.

1 Like
1 Like

Having faced the same problem 2 years on and not remembering how I solved it, I’m putting it here so that when I forget again in 2 years, hopefully I’ll find this.

Turning box off doesn’t work.

Go into Humax settings

• Choose general settings
  • choose accessibility
  • change font setting to “fixed”

And lo and behold subtitles are back.

1 Like

Maybe print the post out and store safely somewhere?

1 Like

My Humax box has just lost sound on some, but not all channels🤔. Any ideas, anyone?

If anyone ever needs to reset their Humax remote, pull the batteries out and hold “0” + “Ok” buttons down for 15 seconds.

Every once in a while, my Humax remote will have a senior moment and start thinking it’s the TV remote and the above procedure fixes it.

That’s the challenge. I forget where “safe” is! Whereas if I go onto google and type “Humax Box subtitles” this thread will come up - as it did at lunchtime today. :slight_smile:

Maybe you have accidentally pressed the TV/AV button ? That turns the remote into a TV remote. Not sure what the default TV is, but volume up/down very often works.