Help Please - moving to Bergerac (or thereabouts) 10th April!

Agree yes but try to get it sorted asap. Even if the wheels run smoothly it will still take time.

Sorry that wasn't addressed to you Jo! x

Dave, tone it down a bit please.

Ha ha Jo, yes we can, don't worry! I wasn't aiming my message at you!

Thanks Brian. My husband is hoping to pop over for a 1-2 day visit in the hope that we can get that sort of thing sorted and obviously visit the property. We do have several contingency plans too of course but well armed and well prepared usually helps all sorts of headaches! Thank you so much - very much appreciated. Jo and Family (P.S. Can you see my picture ......?????)

Not you, Dave meant.

Banks, yes a bit of pain, but there is one in Bergerac that behaves differently. Barclays (France), Place Gambetta. Go in to see Valerie Roux and just take some documents, but passport must be one, and a UK bank statement showing you are in credit. Dave is right, without a bank in advance you will not secure a rental agreement unless you find somebody willing to accept a transfer direct to their account from the UK, that will cost time until it is cleared, so allow two weeks if you find such a person renting. There are some.

Well it is a bit of a one way street isn't it - you can see what we look like but we can't see you, so yes, it is exactly like turning up at a dinner party in a burqa. Also, you may not be bothered by what people look like, but you can still see them - whether you care or not is irrelevant, you can see them, you are talking to them, and they can't see you. Which isn't terribly polite, really, or fair.

But at least now we can all have fun imagining you might have nefarious reasons for not wanting your face to be seen, which will doubtless liven up our tragic dull lives no end ;-).

Hi Dave

We fully intended to open a bank account on our last visit (September last year) but our 6 month old son was ill so we thought it better to wait until we revisited. Foolishly thinking we would have a couple of months at least from selling the house we were planning an interim visit to do this sort of thing. But obviously, best laid plans and all that...... Thanks for the advise though. Jo

Hi Catharine

I do have a profile picture (shows on Google chrome anyway) - it is a picture of me holding my son........ Jo

Hardly a valid comparison. And no I am not bothered one iota as to what a person looks like.

Yes and no - don't you like to see the face of the person to whom you speak? I do. Unless there is some technological reason for not putting up a photograph, remaining a black square is a bit like coming to a dinner party in a burqa...

What is it with this profile pic thing on here who gives a fig I know I do not it is the content of the post that matters!

Hello Dave.

Any chance you can post a profile picture please? As mentioned before, it does seem to help keep postings polite and adhering to our 'dinner party' code of conduct. It is also quite unpleasant for the other 'guests' when they can't see your face. Thanks!

Catharine

If this has been on the cards you really should have sorted a bank account before now. Without one your hands are tied finding it almost impossible to sort things out. Make an appointment with your choosen bank as soon as possible and take with you every conceivable piece of paperwork you can think of. Birth and marriage certificates, passports, proof of residency in UK prior to movng plus lots of others which at this time cannot recall. As mentioned before Le Boncoin is a good pace to look for rental properties.

Six years, but many years in other countries as it is. Issigeac and the whole area around there such as Beaumont and Eymet are expensive. Mind you, there should be a good offer thereabouts.

Thanks for all your help so far Brian. Much appreciated - an estate agent gave us the link also with some details so I am just browsing through that at the moment.

How long have you lived in France?

Our ideal location is Issigeac but we know that we are far more likely to get something in the surrounding area, so as a 'base' we are looking at southern Bergerac and surrounding areas. I will have a good look through and shout for any further guidance.

Jo

Just seen this : http://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/764282091.htm?ca=12_s

I have actually been in this house to help somebody with something they were getting out of a car about five years ago. It is quite nice and in the town near everything that makes life work.

Agents will not help with rentals, just pick you up as potential buyers. My wife works as an agent part time so knows that particular bit of mischief. Try leboncoin site. How to get there is: to click this link Annonces Locations Dordogne - leboncoin.fr

Just had a look, narrow it down a bit because it is wide ranging up to the middle of nowhere. So, perhaps look at the map, choose places on the axis I described along the river and hit those.

The rest of it will probably be aided by having a map open. Rents in Bergerac are obviously higher than outside and the advice there is to try to look within the line between St Foy la Grande through to Lalinde, all of that is a kind of strip with plenty of houses and all of the necessary services like schools, doctors, shops and whatever. The Lalinde side is probably the better of the two overall. Even Lalinde itself where there seem to be quite a few places at present. The rest of it is probably easier once you have a place to go to and then ask again and I'll give it a go. It is fairly easy for the things you mentioned, there is much more of course but then people on here and the Useful Links will help out anyway.

Hi Brian

Any help would be really appreciated. We have been looking to move for 2-3 years so we are aware of the majority of the 'requirements' but need guidance on who is best - banks, private healthcare, insurance, that sort of thing. Do you have any preferences and/or contacts? We have touched base with several estate agents that we have visited over the past few years, but are really just waiting to find rental accommodation before we look too much into anything else. It has just happened so quickly - we only sold the house last week!!

Depending on where you are, like which side of Bergerac, perhaps my wife or I might be able to help a bit. The rental bit, sorry to say we can't, simply do not know exactly how to help. However, the other questions and moving into the area with small children - which we did - we may be able. Let me know and then I'll see again.