Help please with window locking mechanism

Another winter job I have to sort out for the gite is that the locking mechanism for our landing window started jamming and so I took it out at the end of last season.

I now have to try and make sense of what to buy. And I’d welcome some suggestions please, not least what the thing is called in French. I think it’s cremone, but thereafter I’m lost.

It’s made by Ferco and has a number - A-001197-09. It fits in the window frame (see example below) and just has a single bolt that goes up into the top frame and down into the bottom frame when the window handle is turned. It was that action that stopped happening.

It obviously has an adustable height mechanism and screws into the frame.

Is this the sort of thing I can order from somewhere like Casto or Leroy or would it be better to go to a window makers or a quincaillerie?

I’m assuming there’s nothing particularly difficult about fitting a new one.

I’d be grateful for any thought please. Thanks.

Example of the window locking mechanism in our cottage

Something along these lines, that code seems to be just the top or bottom shoot bolt extention.

https://www.quincaillerieportalet.fr/fr/p/fenetres-ouvertes-a-la-francaise-of/cremone-verrou-f15-cote-d-centree-of1-g-12431_ref-p25189/

Thanks Corona but it is almost impossible to see the detail so I feel I need to go somewhere and talk to someone and see actual examples.

You’ll need to remove some of the screws holding it in and measure the size of the gearbox, thats whats worn out. You wont in most cases need the top and bottom arms as they are transferable, just a new gearbox.

2 Likes

You say that you removed the mechanism from your landing window - I hope you still have it. This looks similar to the mechanisms on my windows and it sounds as if the gearbox is at fault. You will need to measure the gearbox to make sure you get one that fits the cutout, and has the hole for the handle in the right place, also the height of the window frame as they usually come as complete units to be cut to length. Alternatively, if you have the gearbos you can take it with you to make sure the replacement is correct. Places like Bricomarche sell these in different lengths - e.g. https://www.bricomarche.com/p/cremone-1876-f17-lg1200-d600-3g/3760138033994

Thanks Stainless. I think I’ve saved everything but it’s finding it now after several months of the cottage being shut up! My challenge is knowing WHAT cremone I have. Not the one you linked to because that seems to have two bolts that go acrosswise, whereas ours are just top and bottom.

I’ll go during the week - w/ends bricos are too busy.

Hi Sue,

If you can’t find the damaged one, you could always take another similar one out to look at - it’s a pity I’m not closer to you then I could check it out for you. I made a couple of windows for my house and bought similar locks at a local hardware store - had to trim the units to fit the windows as they came in standard sizes but it’s not that difficult to do with a hacksaw - remember to cut with the lock in the open position so the locking bar doesn’t end up too short!

Best regards, Steve Linnell

1 Like

Apparently Leroy Merlin stock Ferco brand products. From the picture you posted it looks like this one https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/quincaillerie/quincaillerie-de-porte/serrure-de-porte/serrure-encastree-multipoints-ferco/ferco/ferco-porte-fenetre/serrure-encastree-multipoint-ferco-axe-10-mm-65931194.html

Thanks Steve, the fact that Leroy stock Ferco products is all I need, That gives me Leroy / Casto and a quincaillerie to try, all within short drives of each other in Agen. At least if I can show them and talk about it, hopefully they can tell me just what I need.

2 Likes

You are welcome - I hope that you get the parts you need.

1 Like

Hi SuePJ,
Did you manage to get your window lock sorted out?

Not yet. Going to Agen means a half day out so I’m waiting for a wet day when I’ve got nothing else on. At the moment the sun :slight_smile: is keeping me in the garden.

Know the feeling - it’s about the only drawback of living in the countryside. Sun is also making a bold appearance here so I’m tackling the garden while I can.

1 Like

Just been to Agen in the rain. Nothing in Castorama - although the guy did try to fix the locking mechanism for me. They do have Ferco, but not the same and no reaction when I asked if I could order it. They suggested I went to a quincaillerie, which I did. Again, no joy, but he did offer to phone to find out if he could order it for me. So some progress.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Castorama didn’t try to order it - were they able to determine the part number? Did you try Leroy Merlin - my local store (Poitiers) seems to have quite a range of Ferco products.