Help please!

Hi Valerie, I didn't ever go through any of this hassle but as I said earlier, that was a while ago and I came to the RSI via the CPAM. The woman at the call centre insisted that they needed translations, I insisted there was no need but it didn't get me very far and I couldn't argue any more as she didn't have hte file and I'm not Sheila! This seems typical of the RSI and so many other organisations. Some people seem to have had to produce translations, others not. fight if you have the energy, otherwise get the translations done as a last resort!

Finn, I seem to have run up against bureaucrats so often over the years that I almost instinctively complain and follow through to the final instance of complaint or appeal. My OH too. Thus far, none of this apart from CAF being incompetent I think, has been a problem at all because we gave them a hard time before they could do it to us and that was because we had the fortune to be warned what might happen. Now, as a rule, we make applications and whenever possible deliver them by hand, ask for them to be read in our presence, have our copy signed and stamped and if then possible see whoever is in charge. My OH's Swiss way of doing things can only ever take that very Germanic route and I am a pest anyway, so go along with it.

When you receive letters like that, the best is to go and see them. They'll settle things for you. A lot of these letters are just standard and don't apply in tote to your case.

Sheila, I suspect you have hit one of 'those' bureacrats who works to rules to the dotted i, then adds a few of her own and then throws in some totally unreasonable addenda just to prove what a big wheel she is. In the real world you might say 'Honey, get over your inferiority complex' or words to that effect. Unfortunately, you can't and are more or less run ragged by her with no choice but to play by her rules.

She'll probably demand a name as proof of what you're saying. Would prefer not to go that route in case they tell my office that they should have copies of A, B and C. Aggh. Mind you, they might revert with that anyway. You have your Siret already don't you? I really don't understand why Madam (deliberately missing the 'e') is causing you this grief.

I did it all on line and filled in a form with some pension company as per advice from Andrew and Brian re not employing anyone, and received confirmation that I had no salaried employees. Still haven't heard from anyone re mutuelle. Best guess is that until RSI assign me a tax number, won't hear from mutuelle. But at least, before I go paying for translations, I can go back to Madame and say I have confirmation from an unnamed person that they were not asked for official translations. I will probably still have to pay to have the Deed Poll translated as the birth cert says his father's name was Dunne and his mother's name was Gray. And that is why I went double-barrelled. My birth cert says my father's name was Walshe and the marriage cert says I am married to Blackmore, so should be straightforward, well maybe......

Noooo, my first thought was Dorian Gray! Aghh. Yes, I'd absolutely make sure they've got an official copy of the name change because that could cause further confusion otherwise. But yes, the above is from the RSI. I am assuming - though that could be such a dangerous thing - that they are satisfied with what I sent because it was well over a month ago but I could be famously wrong and be about to have a nightmare thrust upon me. But that is it, verbatim. Separately I also returned them the completed fiche they'd sent me asking who my selected pensioney people were (can't remember correct term now and dog's laying in front of the file door) so filled that in with Reunica.

Hi Val and thanks for that. And it comes from RSI? Just wondering what the heck is going on here. I found a local traducteur assermente and she will charge €90 to translate the two birth certs + Deed Poll re change of name for Henry (his two brothers are also artists and he got fed up being referred to as "one of the Dunne brothers", so he changed to his grandfather's name). He could have used his mother's maiden name but it was "Gray" which didn't appeal to his artistic side. :-)

Hi Sheila, no prob. This is the part of the letter from the RSI asking for copies (and just realised there was a 'coupon' at the bottom that I didn't send back but it's only got name and date of birth on it - oops):

Pour nous permettre de vous attribuer vos droits, et notamment l'acces aux prestations de sante et la delivrance de la carte vitale, nous vous prions de nous faire parvenir obligatoirement les 2 pieces suivantes

Un extrait d'acte de naissance avec filiation (indication des noms et prenoms du pere et de la mere)

Copies d'une piece d'identite en cours de validite:
- si vous etes de nationalite francaise : la photocopies de la Carte Nationale d'Identite
- si vous etes de nationalite etrangere:
- la photocopie de la carte de sejour ou de la carte de resident pour les ressortissants de pays hors CEE
- la photocopies de votre passeport pour les ressortissants de la CEE

Which, according to Google, translates as:

To enable us to assign you your rights, including access to the health benefits and the issuance of the vital card, please send us obligatorily the following 2 pieces

An extract of birth certificate with filiation (of surnames and first names of father and mother)

Copies of identification currently valid:
- If you are of French nationality: the photocopies of National Identity Card
- If you are of foreign nationality:
- Photocopy of the card stay or resident cards for nationals of countries outside the EEC
- The photocopies of your passport for citizens of the EEC

So I sent them our birth certificates, passports and in my reply letter set out my mum's and dad's names. I also gave her my email address in case of queries. That was May 23rd and I've not heard since.

So you got a different letter from RSI than I did? Is there any chance you might scan your letter and send to me? I won't pass it on, would just like to see what you were asked for. Understand if you'd prefer not to though.

Hi Andrew, yes I replied to Sheila yesterday - I may have missed something in my Google translation but I literally supplied photocopy passports and birth certificates for both Shaun and I with an explanation that my birth certificate is the 'old' type so it is what it is. That was a few weeks ago and I've not received anything (unless it's been held up or is still being processed) to say they want more. I've not received a carte vitale but I did receive a brochure explaining how it works so I assume something's being dealt with.

Thanks for info on seeing a doctor Andrew, I made sure i came with plenty of my regualr meds to keep me going for a while, as I had been warned it may take a few months, but I'm getting to close to running out soon.

Some friends had to get theirs translated last year, so we were expecting to have to get them done. Not sure who the guy was, OH will have the info, he's not here right now, I know he was fairly local to us in Niort, as we didn't want to mess about with sending stuff back and forth in the snail mail, so OH was able to go and meet him

Yes he was Sheila, we looked in Pages Jaune for Traducteurs Assermonte

Interesting Wendy, that's what I feared - things have obviously changed! As for seeing a doctor - just go ahead and see one and keep your feuilles de soins, send them to the rsi and you'll be reimbursed in just the same way as with the carte vitale once you're covered ;-)

20€ sounds good too, who did you use as I will have to get everything done when I eventually get round to applying for naturalisation.

Sheila - the translator just needs to be assermenté(e) which means he/she is court registered. I'm (still for the moment!) a professional translator but never bothered getting assermenter as it isn't really worth it unless you live near the court to keep popping in and out for work.

Hi Wendy. Thanks for that. Perhaps they have changed the regulations - important to know as it will affect several members here, some of whom are not yet aware that these translations now require to be done. Like your husband, mine will also need his Deed Poll translated due to his change of surname. Was your translator guy registered with the Court (un traducteur inscrit à une Cour d'Appel)??

Hi Sheila,

My OH registered back in Feb this year as AE here in Deux Sevres, we had to provide certified transalations of our Birth certs(full not short version), Deed of Poll for OH as he had changed his name, and our Wedding cert, we had the translations done for € 20 each, the guy supplied us with two certified copies of each one, OH took them to the RSI office, they saw the originals and then copied them so we could keep our originals and they also copied the relevant pages of our passports.

Mind you we are still waiting for our attestions for health service, hope it's soon as I really need to see and register with a doc

Well, thanks again for advice and support. I'm actually quite annoyed now. I've written back re passports, and asked her again to clarify why I am being asked to produce these when others are not. Let's see if I get a response.

it always makes me laugh, people think that because the UK doesn't have the euro that it isn't in the EU either...!

Not foreign?? Well, it wouldn't be the first time I have come across people who were surprised to find that Ireland has been a member of the EU and that we were in the Euro. So I think I will write back along those lines to her. After all, I sent her copy passports which are in Irish, English and French!

Hi Sheila

I don't think they're going to give in on this one, the woman I spoke to yesterday confirmed they'd need the documents and said that I didn't need them because I wasn't foreign! to which I corrected her and she said that they are now needed. I came into the French sécu in 2005 via the cpam, changed to rsi as an AE in 2009 and things may well have changed by now. Has anyone else had these demands amongst the newer AEs (Valerie et al). i'd be interested to know if it's new for everyone or just this particular office being difficult.

Bonne chance ;-)