Help re Applying for French Nationality

Hi Everyone, I’ve been a member of SF for 6 years, I rarely contribute but often receive lots of useful information and tips, so thanks SF members for that. I am now asking for advice. A while ago Catherine Higginson posted some very useful advice on how to apply for French Nationality which I am following to the letter but now can no longer find. I think I now have all the necessary documents but just want to verify this before sending them off for translation so I would be grateful if anyone out there can let me know if I am ready to get them translated before I pay a huge sum of money and before I take them to the appropriate Prefecture. I have ready the following docs:

My birth certificate, marriage certificate (2nd marriage), divorce papers, birth certificate of my mother and father, marriage certificate of my parents, evidence of no criminal record and the deeds of my house which is already in French.

Is there anything else I need? Am I right in thinking that after translation I have only three months in which to get them to the Prefecture and then………. what happens next. I am 70 years old next year so believe I don’t have to take a French language test but image I should have enough French to hold some conversation and be able to prove that I have integrated into the local community.

Thanks everso.

Patricia Todd

You will need both UK and France criminal disclosures (from disclosure scotland for the UK). The last 3 years avis des impots, 3 recent photos (some information websites say 2 but I was asked for 3).
If your dossier is correct first time (a miracle!) then do not expect to hear anything for several months. If it lacks anything you should get it back quite soon with a note explaining what else is required.
Be sure to send it AR so you have confirmation that it has been received.
Eventually you should be given appointments for interviews then it will be another long wait for a decision.
I must add the caveat that each prefecture seems to do things different to others so what I have written above can only be a rough guide.
Bon courage!

Thank you very much Malcolm. Your message was most useful. I have spent most of the afternoon wading through documents and filling in gaps! Its even more work than I anticipated! It will be worth it though, for peace of mind.

I forgot to mention you will also need a ‘Bordereau de Situation’ from your local Tresor Public. This is to show you are up to date with all your impôts payments etc.