Hi everyone, I've just launched my new B&B Coaching Business today!

Hi everyone, I've just launched my new B&B Coaching business and would love you to take a look. All comments and feedback very welcome and appreciated. Thank you :-) Yvonne

tracy that's brilliant advice! i'll just say exactly what you've advised... perfect... like you say - they get a bit of privacy plus empty bins and clean towels if necessary - and i get out of making beds!

foodwise that's interesting too - we stayed in a b&b where they just had the main course with us... they didn't eat the starter or pud... but your idea sounds like a plan too... i'll try it

are you well? easter nearly here!

thanks yvonne - sorry i didn't see this reply earlier... exactly how i feel...

I also agree with Tracy, one of the best bits of staying away is that you have your room and bed made up for you and the bathroom tidied.

I don't think you are intruding on anyone's privacy and you can put a request to clean the room or not on the door handle. That way everyones' expectations are met.

Hi Teresa,one way is to ask the clients to put the bin and the towels outside the door if they need changing, that is easier for them than asking for things.

From a personal point of view, if I am paying to stay somewhere, something that is absolute bliss for me is to have the bed made for me. However, I appreciate that many guests do prefer you not to go in their room, it's a very personal thing.

When I was a chalet girl, I did anything to get out of making beds! A trick I learned though, instead of eating with the guests, was to eat the starter, excuse myself for the main to do the washing up, then rejoin the guests for dessert!

Hi Teresa, I don't usually go into the rooms either. I ask them if they need anything and usually they don't. I think it's important to focus on guests' needs as much as possible, without compromising our own boundaries.

Hope this helps :-)

i'm interested i peoples thoughts...

eating...

it's me who had the german couple eating with us for a week - i'll be as big as a house by the summer... i've invited friends for 2 of the nights and hope to get bookings for 'eating' for a couple more - it'd be great to leave them be for a couple of nights too - luckily the husband speaks german (and as an irishman practically never stops talking) but i think they may get fed up with us...

cleaning...

the longest we had to stay in our first year last year was four nights - i never went into their room or bathroom - i just left them to it and asked if they needed new towels or water anything - they didn't... in my mind privacy is such bliss - but i've heard many people go and make beds and empty bins and clean after more than one night...?

It's correct what Jane said, if you offer table d'hôte, you are supposed to eat with them. As I have two children I obviously can't do that in the evening and I inform guests about it when they book. They ususally are absolutely fine with this, but I had one couple who told me after dinner that they had thought I would eat with them.

I think that this is one of the reasons for the french hotel industry lobbying and getting the 7% tva for everyone serving food of whatever kind, e.g. service stations, boulangeries etc.

They see competition everywhere, a bit like reds under the beds, and they are not equipped to deal with it because , in the main they offer such lousy service.

That's interesting Jane. I do offer dinner and I serve them, but don't often eat with them. It depends on what their needs are. If they are a group of 4-8 friends, they don't need me, they'd much rather be having their own party, especially if English is not their native language. If it's two people on their own, sometimes I eat with them, but sometimes they want to be alone together. I focus on the guests needs. Interesting point though, thanks Jane :-)

We don't have a B & B or a Chambre d'hotes, we are in the process of finishing off our luxury gite, our Little House.

My mother ran a guest house and I learned how not to do it.

I also took a course run by the Tourist Association in UK, but, unfortunately, had to backtrack due to being diagnosed with severe endometriosis.

I understood that chambres d'hotes owners must eat with their guests if they book dinner,otherwise they are operating as an hotel. In fact, we have had a post on the network requesting recipes for people wanting to eat in for a week.

We don't have a B & B or a Chambre d'hotes, we are in the process of finishing off our luxury gite, our Little House.

My mother ran a guest house and I learned how not to do it.

I also took a course run by the Tourist Association in UK, but, unfortunately, had to backtrack due to being diagnosed with severe endometriosis.

I understood that chambres d'hotes owners must eat with their guests if they book dinner,otherwise they are operating as an hotel. In fact, we have had a post on the network requesting recipes for people wanting to eat in for a week.

Yvonne, whereabouts are you, because my daughter likes to break her journey down to us in Southern Burgundy and the Champagne region is just the right distance to make the break?

WWhat do you call it, is there a direct link?

You are right, people do totally underestimate the amount of time and effortand involvement it takes, especially if you do chambre d'hotes here in France, and have to eat with your guests.

Thanks Kathrin, yes, in the 21st century, running a successful B&B business (not a hobby) is easier than we might think, but we need to step up and "get with the programme". I believe that B&B owners are uniquely positioned to take advantage of consumers' search for individuality and personal service, in a world of mediocrity. Thanks for posting Kathrin :-)

What a good idea. We have been running our b&b for 8 years now (I've always worked in hotels and tourism, so quite an easy choice) and I think there are quite a few people out there who think it's just providing a bed and some coffee and croissants.