Hidden sugar in your food - be warned!

Mike, it is not just Lustig saying it about fruit juice, the medical research science people have said it a few months ago and condemned it seriously. Lustig just appears to have said it first.

The thing about the Coke drinking round the world, it does not pass my lips ever by the way, is that along with a far healthier diet than most western diets the evidence is that it does not really do any harm. MacDonladise the world and that goes out of the window. I was taken, as a special treat, to a MacDonald in Beijing. It is vast, apparently 3000 seats! In China, apart from the capital, obesity is unusual. Go there and see probably 2000 of the throng like Western kids. It made me shudder. Juvenile diabetes is on the up in countries where food is westernising, in adults heart conditions, liver and gall bladder problems they did not have before, hiatus hernias by the truck load, on and on. Over-nutrition as against over-eating, very different, is actually less harmful than eating the right amount of hydrogenated fats, but too much, then all of the sugar products, increase in salt intake, less exercise to burn off excesses (not just calories) and the demise of fresh, raw vegetable and fruit eating and all other factors and we are seeing the outcome now. The likes of Lustig said years ago and now it is too late to get the mass of people to listen any longer, they are addicted to what they are now used to. It is strange though, that pure sugar intake has decreased and type 2 diabetes shot up. I suspect the sugar industry control all kinds of sugar and want to keep quiet about monosaccharides and fiddle with sucrose, maltose and lactose, which are all disaccharides and what have earned them a lot of money for a couple of hundred years, to make it 'less visible' so that it does not to be included on labels as an ingredient in whichever form. Nestlé were taken to court for not labelling them precisely some years ago, now they have moved their HQ out of Switzerland and make the same junk generally. They label as if their produce is manna from the gods when in fact a lot of it is sugar from beets.No doubt the rest of the sugar and confection industries are playing the same game.

Provocative comment, Dorothy!

I guess there is a problem in those countries where alcohol is not culturally acceptable and drinking large quantities of cola instead of small glasses of mint tea may be a reason for an increase in diabetes. But does that mean that drinking six pints of lager is the healthier option?

My own, totally unscientific, opinion is that over-nutrition in general is to blame, but this is made worse by high-fructose corn oil and hydrogenated fats.

Still, I take some comfort in Lustig's suggestion that fruit juice is just as harmful as alcohol, because that means that the converse must also apply and I don't have to feel remorse over an occasional drop of the bottle!

If you're interested, the TEDx talk by Robert Lustig on personal responsibility and the obesity epidemic. Similar content but some more recent data as it was filmed in 2013.

Thanks Ian,

Good to hear it explained by such an serious scientist.

Yes another of his very interesting talks. Carol, it must just be you and the idea of adding chocolate at breakfast time is just wrong. Of course if you are active you can burn off some of this but as Ian just said it is quite possible to be fat on the inside and thin on the outside which is where I am according to the doctors so I too must watch it and do something. I have reduced sugar intake by a lot compared to a few years ago, I seldom have fizzy drinks or junk food but there is so much hidden it's tricky to avoid.

I've been reading through this post, missed it when it was active. Here's another talk by Robert Lustig, the doctor who is on a mission to eliminate sugar in general, but more particularly fructose, from our diets. I was astonished when he was talking about newborns and 6 month old babies now being obese.

Anyway, take a look at the lecture, it's pretty interesting on the sugar subject explaining how fructose is dealt with by the body and what sort of damage it does.

He talked in a similar but shorter piece at TEDx Bermuda of the scary idea of the TOFI, meaning Thin Outside Fat Inside. He showed two x-rays or scans, one of which was of a body with a thick layer of fat just under the skin, and the other which had no subcutaneous layer but rather had fat inside the abdomen surrounding the internal organs. Scary, because it is hidden. People who are fat in this way generally have no idea that they have a problem.

My problem is liking the dangerous foods too much, and managing to gradually ditch them.

Probably not the last word on the subject, but the conclusion reached be tonight's "Horizon" is that we should avoid those foods that are manufactured from fat and sugar in combination.

Sugar and fat may be unhealthy, but obesity seems to be a disease of the poor. This may be because they go for the largest quantity at the lowest price. Back to the high fructose syrup and hydrogenated fat theory........

Thanks for the link Mike....agree re: sugars...once again, looks like if we aim for the natural option rather than processed we are all the healthier for it! Agree re: sugar in drinks. I wanted to appear more 'grown up' so at 12 gave up sugar in my tea and coffee....and never looked back. My parents both had a couple of sugars in their drinks. May just be me....but has anyone else noticed that the majority of people who take sugar in their drinks or put sugar on plain cereal are often the skinny ones? My parents for example used to eat teaspoons of the white stuff on and in everything, drinks, cereals, milk pudding (already sweetened!) fresh fruit, even their yoghurt had a couple of spoons of sugar....and they were both ultra slim all their lives! can even remember them making us (my brothers and myself) butter and sugar sandwiches!

Brian,

I wouldn't have believed that if I hadn't visited the UK last year. In the supermarkets, I had to run the gauntlet of mobs of obese hunter-gatherers on mobility scooters. Not quite that bad in France, yet..........

I think some dark chocolate and a glass of red wine is a positive...not a negative! two of the good foods...in moderation of course! Re: salt....I once bought a large pack of monosodium glutamate to use instead of salt... which I have to say was delish....but I knew it was dodgy even 20 years ago...so havent continued with its use. However...I do believe that is where the 'unami' flavour stems from....savoury...shame its not savoury and healthy!

I am, believe it or not, working whilst responding here. It, for want of a better word, inspired me to go through the child obesity stuff. I am looking at the social aspects of the phenomenon rather than physical effects. One of the case studies I was sent is of a boy near Tacoma in Washington State in the USA.

He was excluded from school in 2012. He had recently changed to middle school after a one year delay. The school has old style bench seat conjoined to desks. To begin with he could not fit into one but the school janitor found one with the back broken off and rigged up a back piece that allowed him to use it. On the first day using it and within the first hour the bench had snapped. Another bench was provided with a table. The bench also snapped. A metal structured seat was provided but the legs buckled. An adult metal chair was found for him which also bent. By the Thursday of the first week the principal was going crazy looking for solutions. The boy also had a problem getting into the class because the walkway (path, I suppose) to the room through the grounds is on a slope. The principal called in the educational inspector for advice. The inspector called in the medical examiner.

Together they concluded the school was not equipped to accommodate the boy so asked his parents to enquire after a different school place. They refused because the school was less that one minute drive from their house and the next school was almost quarter of an hour away. The inspector supported the principal in demanding payment for the damage the boy had caused, the parents refused because they felt it was the duty of the school to make provision for their son. The boy was referred to the school board, they supported the principal, received clearance from the inspector and excluded him. The parents phoned a lawyer and action began.

Where the problem began was that at 11 years old, the boy weighed over 224 pounds. I was unable to conceive what that meant so looked at a conversion table, about 102kg. He could hardly manage to walk more than 30 ft at a time without taking a break, the 160 ft from the school entrance to the classroom took him at least 15 minutes. The school nurse said that she considered it a waddle rather than walk.

The medical examiner had not completed his report when the action at the school began, but when he had sent it to the education and welfare services. A social and medical report was demanded. The boy 's parents were visited and the description of them compared both to sumo wrestlers. When the boy's health and overweight was discussed firstly the parents said that it was inherited, everybody in both families is big. Then in discussion about what they eat and drink it emerged that they mainly ate prepared food, often burgers or wiener sausages. The boy would eat at least 8 burgers at a sitting, 10 to 12 if he was hungry! They were naturally in buns with relishes. They almost always had fries. Sometimes they ate pasta dishes. For a change they would have steaks, ribs or large joints of beef that they bought pre-cooked.They also had chocolate pudding type things, ate vast amounts of chocolate anyway, muffins, cookies and all manner of pastries (what we would call cakes mainly). The boy had never tasted fresh vegetables, salad or fruit. The mother knew how to put things in her microwave to the extent that they had four of the largest size domestic microwave ovens in their kitchen to prepare food. All of the family only drank Coca Cola ever, not even a glass of water or milk had passed the boys lips since he was weaned.

The medical examiner and welfare officer called in a doctor and nutritionist to advise the entire family. They refused them entry to their house or to listen anyway. A court order was obtained on the basis of what had been seen that the boy be taken into care until his health was improved through careful diet and supervision, learning how to exercise and particularly weaning off sugars and other substances that would probably have caused a cardiac arrest before his 25th year.

The family went to their lawyer who placed a complaint that the boy was being deprived of his civil rights (think we would say human rights). Anyway, that is the story, the case is probably unfinished even now having been placed before the court in February last year. The only news given about him was that at that time he was already a little under 200lbs.

That is not an isolated case by a long way but a good example of every bit of sugar, carb, calorie, fat and all else stuffed inside a human being because for the largest part they knew no better.

Totally agree!

So I am quite prepared to cut out the full fat dairy products and oily salad dressings, so long as I can have my daily dose of 70% dark chocolate and a glass of red wine!

Heheheh, if we are on an ideal diet of 2000 cals a day and up to 2400 if we are very active, then the examples you give are not so bad if we are moderate. I probably have a glass of wine a month, sometimes a nip of malt but less than one a month, since I had my ban with medication. As for the others, then given the different kinds of fats, saturated, trans and so on those values are a bit wobbly. However, I have made a point of knowing what I eat and turning a blind eye when I have my occasional treats. If we all try counting to the last cal we'll all stark staring bonkers.

Brian, I agree that there are good and bad fats, but they all contain lots of calories.

Just found this on the Web, though I can't vouch for its accuracy -

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
Alcohol: 1 gram = 7 calories

I particularly love blue cheeses. They have a couple of nutritional value and more vitamins than other cheeses, but they are mostly saturated fat. So I have a slice spread on a bit of bread occasionally. It is a treat rather than a habitual food. Like you Carol, I could sit down with a plate load of cheese and chomp through the lot. Rather than abstaining I simply have the smallest portions for the taste and memory of when I used to eat a lot. Recent research tells that butter and cheese are not harmful at all, certainly not cardiologically, but only if we have high quality, pure butter and not those with substitutes mixed in. As for cheeses, the bl**dy scientists have not said which ones are OK and so the work is down to us. Cottage cheese is pretty well OK and some curd cheeses, sheep rather than cows', are fine if we get the exercise to burn off the calories but most of the curd cheeses are still a bit steep in saturated fats. Hard cheeses such as Cheddar are treats only, whilst most of the French brebi cheeses and Spanish Manchego are the best we can go for. The rest I'll go looking for sooner or later.

Adding salt after cooking almost guarantees that you use too much. I know some folks who won't allow salt in the house, but get through gallons of soy sauce from the Chinese supermarket!

Have recorded the programme and will watch tonight. I dont use salt to cook with Brian...maybe thats why I use so much after cooking...but I use the salt from the salt pans in St Cyprien, where we have our apartment. Lovely stuff. Cheese...I learned to just not eat the foodstuffs I have a real weakness for. Its just off limits pretty much 99% of the time. This Xmas I had possibly 90 grams in total over a 2 week period. I tend to pick at cheese crumbs rather than have a serving...I could happily eat 1000 calories worth of cheese at the end of a meal and not notice...so better not to have it at all!

Yes John. These days I taste cheese rather than eating it in any quantity, but there was nothing there to put me off. I have come to the conclusion that it is safer to eat the bugs in our food, rather than the chemicals that kill them.

Missed the cheese, switched off without looking. I am a cheese snob I confess, but have seriously adjusted which ones I now eat and have some of my favourite ones as treats. I actually appreciate those far more as a result.