Hidden sugar in your food - be warned!

Good for the Aussies though Brian, they export their bees all over the world to replenish stocks as I am sure you know. The APVMA is a powerful body down their and we should follow their example. The did good work with swimming pools to, outlawing bad practices.

Kate which bread is that in Leader price?

I weened my self off a lot of sugar as previously mentioned and I would say it took a month or more for the sugar receptors to adjust themselves. Have weakened a little since then and I don't worry so much about natural fruit sugars as I am very active. Likewise the fiber topic, if you are moving around a lot you need less fiber than those sat behind their desks all day and those who take the elevators and don't use the stairs.

Did anyone see the program on cheese that followed?

Carol, my father smothered everything he ate in salt and vinegar! Is it any wonder I dislike both, the example I was set simply put me off. We use salt sparingly. A pinch of sea salt in mixtures and a few little crystals of rough crystal (the greyish, purplish stuff) in others and since we only steam vegetables which makes it run off, whoever wants it sprinkles their own on. I do not salt vegetables and what do I taste? Since I leave them crunchy to begin with I taste them. As raw carrots taste best, then cooked ones are nice too and salt spoils the taste. Yes, we all have an Achilles' heel and I am about to make a German type 'Weihnachtsstolle' to use up ingredients that include (wait for it) marzipan! However it is not made with white sugar but pure, raw cane sugar melted into the almonds. I love marzipan, that taste gets me going and I know I shouldn't!

Kate, we make pizzas with slices of aubergine instead of a bread base. We use mozzarella but not a vast amount which is about 15% saturated fat but 0% trans fat, so an enjoyable feast nonetheless.

Just noticed your postings Kate...and realised that whilst I can be very absemious with sugar and processed food... like everyone I have my achilles heel......and that is salt! we had friends over last night, and had during the course of the meal, prawns and scallops to start and a roasted chicken with roast veg following....which as always I liberally douse with pepper and sea salt. My dad had the same addiction, and would smother his food in salt, much to my mothers chagrin. But interesting to note, in the same way that you produce your own cholesterol and often, regardless of how little 'bad fats' you eat, you can suffer very high blood cholesterol due to a genetic pre-disposition. Despite the fact that my father and I overindulged in salt, we both had very low blood cholesterol and both of us had hypotension, in my case, very low blood pressure. I use past tense as my dad died a few years ago...at a very healthy old age. Ive tried giving up salt for 3 months to see if that changes my taste buds, and frankly everything tasted insipid and after 3 months I was delighted to shower my food once more in the crunchy white stuff!

We hardly use any salt so everything factory-made tastes too salty...and manufactured bread tastes really sweet - yuk. Your taste buds come alive when you cut down on salt and avoid sugar. Like brian, we like the sourdough rye bread (Leaderprice sell a lovely one and it's incredibly filling) but we usually make our own flat bread using spelt and rye flour on the odd occasion we want any (pizza night usually!) - yeast free so we use no sugar and very little salt.

I lived in rural Cambridgeshire with the top of Essex and West Suffolk touching our parish boundary for around 30 years... Between Essex and well into Lincolnshire, well into Norfolk and Suffolk it is simply a factory. Oilseed rape, sugar beet, wheat and spuds. Dribs and drabs of little else where small scale farms still exist.

Brian,

Here in Normandy - horses, cows, cider apples and maize, they don't use a lot of agrichemicals and insect life flourishes.

I remember visiting Lincolnshire many years ago. Nothing living but industrial monoculture.

Yes Kate, I agree. I do though use natural cane sugar, the stuff that comes in a black lump if you can find it. If people must have sugar to make cakes and so on, and I use it sparingly with sieved buckwheat for such things, then it is the best to use. Not sure how people find it in France, if we have a visit from the right part of London there is a Jamaican health food shop that buys it direct from a plantation which is brought to me. A 2kg bag/lump lasts me two or more years. Otherwise the vegetables in your list plus camotes ('sweet potatoes' I think), yams, swedes ('rutabagas' here), several squashes (pumpkin/marrow family but used as veg) such as kabota and acorn squash make it more than enough to get one with.

Fruit is wonderful, but some are delicious and deceptive, pineapple for one which for some reason stimulates appetite and makes us want to eat. Kiwis, rhubarb, raspberries (I grow loads of them) and blackberries are lowest sugar and carbs, then strawberries, all kinds of melons, papaya, peaches, nectarines, blueberries, cranberries and apricots. I eat more fruit than almost anybody I know and often put it down to laziness that they don't indulge themselves. Opening the wrapper and breaking off a piece of chocolate then rewrapping it seems to take far longer and be more effort or am I mistaken?

The programme last night was TV journalism therefore an exposé rather than well reasoned, evidenced facts. Sorry, but I am too much the scientist in that sense. For all of that, yes the message is very clear but how many people watched it? It would have been a minority no doubt... Pity.

John, I read the Guardian piece. We have environmental problems and yes Monsanto and their ilk are killing off natural species of plants and animals in order to make those of us in the more affluent countries more and more garbage to stuff down our gullets. The world is losing bees, in some places they have gone more or less missing for several years. Along with increasing diseases and accidentally introduced parasites and predators it is getting more difficult for them. Yet they do adapt so given half a chance will recover. Do the GMO growers want that though?

Mike, bans will never happen whilst vast multinational corporations pull politicians' strings and fill their pockets. We know that too well, so first we need to see the political will to change things. At present some hope of that. The tea and coffee things is interesting. Neither of my parents had sugar in either, so neither my sister nor I ever took that up. Since my early 20s I have only drunk green or white tea anyway, to which I would never dream of adding anything, ditto my single espresso every day. What your colleague said is probably true, but I have noticed when people have accepted coffee or tea and we have no sugar to offer (even if they put milk in) they more often than not accept a second or third cup, even help themselves, without much difficulty. As for fatty foods, well luckily for me, just the smell of a fried breakfast makes me feel sick. A pool of grease with an egg (I have always been egg white intolerant as it is), bacon and fried white bread alone and I am out of the room for air. It is the smell of that cooked grease alone. I consider that good fortune to be that way.

I also thank my early years in Germany for my rye and buckwheat bread preference. A baguette or other white bread seems tasteless and insubstantial to me. Yes, I have eaten it for lack of choice but find it makes me eat more bread until it satisfies. A couple of thin rye bread slices do me. Have you ever seen German sliced bread? It is really very thin and most people do not eat a large amount.

Carol,

They had a lot to say about the quantity of sugar in manufactured food, but some experts believe that the type of sugar used is the most significant factor in the sudden explosion of obesity. High fructose corn syrup is produced from surplus cereal crops. It is sweeter and cheaper than cane or beet sugar, so very attractive to the food industry. Here is a rather technical article that attempts to explain - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/21/fructose-poison-sugar-industry-pseudoscience

Banning high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated vegetable oils could go a long way to solving the problem. More likely to work than asking people to read small print on labels or cut down on consumption.

Kate,

40 years ago, a work colleague said "If you stop putting sugar in your tea, after a a few weeks you won't miss it." He turned out to be right and I now find that added sugar tastes unpleasant and masks the real flavor of the drink. The same thing applies with fats. Once you get used to going without them, fatty foods just taste like grease.

Does anyone agree that French bread is too salty?

And people think it's good to have sugar-free when it's stuffed full of brain-rotting chemicals to replace the sugar. When you cut out sugar completely it takes a few days to adjust but then everything factory-made starts to taste sickly sweet and quite unpleasant. And suddenly beetroot, carrots and roasted parsnips taste almost like dessert! There's enough natural sugar out there in our vegs and fruits - why add more?

If it comes in a packet with an ingredient listing of more than one ingredient then it's been played with and, yes, it takes a little more time to make your own but at what cost? And how much better home-made tastes !

Every euro we spend on this stuff is a vote for it. We can't blame these companies for making it if we keep buying it.......it's a free(ish) country so it's up to each of us to choose.

missed the programme tonight...will watch on catchup tv..but one of the points brought up years ago, was that many dieters sought out 'fat free' foods as healthy alternatives...without realising that fat free food was usually made edible by adding a ton of sugar instead....so not low cal or 'healthy' alternative after all.

It doesn't stop man interfering in things we don't understand though. Monsanto will kill us all in the end.

Still with half size bees the sugar industry won't feel threatened as they can up production.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jan/20/pesticides-making-bees-smaller

Brian,

Honey was traditionally used as an antiseptic. The reason I was given, was that it is too sweet for bacteria to survive in it. It is certainly too sweet to support fermentation in its concentrated state. Mead is normally made from apple juice sweetened with honey.

Bees are probably more valuable as pollinators than as honey producers.We kept bees at my secondary school. In those days, we replaced the honey that we "stole" with cheap sugar to see them through the winter. Today, they are under attack from virus diseases and brain-damaging chemicals and I think it make sense to let them keep as much honey as they need.

I am sure that honey is healthy to eat in small quantities. No reason not to use it as an alternative to refined sugar in recipes that require sweetening.

I suspect the added sugar in Weetabix is the maltodextrin they use to make the little flakes stick together (which is also why it goes so mushy when you add milk) I was so amused (actual snorting fit of laughter) when Weetabix first arrived here at seeing the picture of a Weetabix made into a tartine on the box.

Mike, look at Weetabix's own details on line, then search for laboratory analyses of cereals. Those are where I got the figures. Beware, it is '95%' wheat but carries the rider 'may contain other grains'. Also wheat has its own sugars. Whatever the case it is low, around 1.4% added sugars.

Kate, I must find out more. Honey has qualities I never knew about and I have kept bees for around 30 years.

Brian - I use honey in my chilblain remedy - works wonders......

Just been shopping and took a look at some packets. "Fitness" and "Special K" (the ones that are supposed to be healthy) each have 8% sugar. "Weetabix" doesn't state the percentage of added sugar on the pack, but since it is 95% wheat, added sugar must be less than 5% because they also add salt. My guess is that there are roughly equal quantities of salt and sugar, i.e around 2.5% of each. It also has added iron and vitamins but I don't imagine the weigh very much.

"Jordan's Original" has stopped saying "No added sugar" on the packet. I suspect this is because sugar is used as a necessary preservative in some of the fruit they put in their product.

Channel 4 has a programme tonight "Are you addicted to Sugar?" 8 p.m. UK time - 21.00 in France.

LOL!

I watched a very good documentary on Bees the other week.

http://youtu.be/2iu3s9BrmMk

Having just learned this stuff a couple of weeks before Christmas and keeping bees myself, I went straight for that. Honey is 32-87, average 55, but it all depends on the pollens, density of a single pollen against mixed ones. Honey is predominantly composed of fructose but since that content varies it typically contains about the same as High Fructose Content Sugars (HFCS) or even more more. It contains many other beneficial nutrients nevertheless we should use it sparingly. Since fructose is absorbed into the bloodstream more slowly, honey scores well on the GI. High GI honey has the highest calorie content of all sugars at 65 calories per tsp which is greater than about 50 in granulated white sugar. In its natural, raw form it contains highly beneficial nutrients and other good things, so is still a healthy choice compared to refined sweeteners, which includes refined honey and products containing honey. For instance, it contains an enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide. That is believed to be the reason for the antimicrobial activity of honey which prohibits the growth of various bacteria and makes it a first class treatment for wounds and burns.

What do I tell me bees? You're all fired! Or do I keep them on their zero hours contracts working for me? We actually use them as much for pollination of plant life as for the honey and only use it very sparingly. Now I know, if I get cuts or scalds I will smear it on to find out if that really works as well as I read.

To say nothing of the two heaped desert fulls of sugar chucked on the weetabix by the children. Brian where does honey come out on the GI scale? I know it doesn't produce the same effect as sugar in the body, well I used to think I knew that LoL ;-)