Hiring a car in the UK

Unexpectedly I need to fly back to the UK tomorrow as it looks like, tragically, my Father’s on his last legs. I’ll be hiring a car from the airport, which I haven’t done in the UK for years, but I seem to remember that last time I did I had to get a code or something from the dvla site to hand over to the hire car company. Does anyone know if that’s still the case and if so, what I need to do as will be leaving early tomorrow morning and want to make sure I’ve got it sorted. Thanks

Yes it’s still necessary. The DVLA site can generate it immediately though, so you have time to do it.

Sorry to hear about your father’s poor health :pensive:

5 Likes

Thanks alot @Gareth , very much appreciated. Preparing for the worst and trying to keep a brave face on right now.

3 Likes

I think all of us who have been through similar times… are sending supportive hugs

7 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about this, @letsmile . I hope the car hire is easy and that you can concentrate your energies on providing support where needed. Your strength will give strength to others…

2 Likes

Just managed to get the code successfully, so now as armed as I’m going to be for tomorrow. Certainly not relishing the next days, but hope I can bring some happiness to my Father.

7 Likes

Bon courage :bouquet:

1 Like

From me too. Keep on with the avatar. :wink: :smiley:

Bon courage from me too - the toughest of times and that bit harder when international travel also involved.

And from me, having been through it a few months ago. Be prepared for a longish visit

Thanks everyone for the kind messages. Managed to cheer him up and he was delighted to see me, and likewise me seeing him.

8 Likes

Very pleased for you and thanks for the reminder too. Not long before my Dad died at 94, with dementia and in a care home, I went to see him on a rare visit to England. As I walked down the room I spotted him on his own in a chair and, on seeing me, I was so moved to see his face, which had had a vacant expression, light up in a big wide smile of recognition. :joy:

Later, after a short period of apparently deep thought, he looked up and said ‘are we the only 2 left of our family?’ He was right, both Mum and my younger Brother, John, had died within 6 months of each other in 1995. Now, it is just me, with mixed memories, mostly good ones. You are right to make the most of the time you have left @letsmile

6 Likes

@letsmile I’m glad you’ve visited your Dad… you’ve made some happy memories… :+1:

2 Likes

Good luck with that. Friend just returned. He says it now costs 500 squid for a week! Is he exaggerating?

It sounds like he’s booked at short notice or rented a Bentley. I just had a quick look and it starts at about £80 for a week.

I guess the other possibility is that he took the rip-off insurance excess cover, that can add a couple of hundred quid over a week.

Well, back safe and sound after quite an exhausting few weeks, and quite a disappointing insight into the NHS………….but the hire car went smoothly, and the kind person in the airport even upgraded my car. When I arrived at the hospital to see my Father I really thought he was on his last legs, but as the days went on I started to see improvement, but having said that, he remains very frail but at least has now stabilised.

13 Likes