Historic Racing: Le Mans 2-4 July 2021

Yes David, it was the German connection that was the difficulty.

My Mum’s family also relationship difficulties. There were five of them, though one died in a car accident in Canada when I was only five or six. I still remember my poor Mum’s anguish when she got the phone call. My Mum and her other sister got along very well, as did one of the brothers. The other brother. while not a bad person but was very overbearing and inferring and made the lives of the other three intolerable. I’ve been wary of families ever since :slightly_smiling_face: On the other hand one of my best pals has ten siblings. They all get on like a house on fire.

OK, not Le Mans, but circuit des ramparts, and a great picture😎

2 Likes

Ah, yes… another fun time… over the years.

Many fond memories of Angoulême

am I correct in saying that only Le Mans and Angoulême exist in France as street racing circuits?

Pau is another one… I think.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me Graham. We slipped over today for the qualifying. Covid App scanned at entrance but no social distancing inside. A good day out. Strange to be out and about again.

1 Like

Yes, it is. And with a very distinguished history. Been on my bucket list … They run a hisitoric event which is as good as any.

1 Like

About 10 years ago I went to the Le Mans Classic weekend with 2 friends who also had Westfield Elevens.
There was an opportunity to take part in parade laps (limited to replicas/makes of cars that had raced at Le Mans.
Despite being effectively in a convoy, driving the full Le Mans circuit while closed to public traffic was quite an experience.

(Please forgive the quality - the video predates GoPros and camera phones!)

2 Likes

I once saw a 911 towing a caravan on the autobahn in Germany as he overtook me.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing. In the early 70’s I worked for Motor Sport and Motoring news. The office I worked in, was just a few steps from the offices occupied by Denis Jenkinson and Bill Boddy. Both of whom were approachable, although Bill always seemed to be in a rush because of deadlines, and Denis was always disappearing to points national or global. The likes of Jeremy Walton, Alan Henry et al were in an office next to ours. A very busy and manic place to work, but also highly enjoyable for a car and motorcycle nut. It came with some great opportunities. I was taken to a few races by Ian Wagstaff in his MGC, which was a lot of fun, and treated to the most hair raising and fun ride of my life by Geraint (Gerry) Phillips, in a BMW 2002, along the London embankment. He co drove for Ove Andersson and Shekar Mehta in international rallies, so knew what he was doing, allegedly! Avery nice man. Sadly he died in a motoring accident in Kenya, where I spent much of my childhood, and where I watched the East African Safari with my dad every year he was available, watching my idol, Joginder Singh, ‘The Flying Sikh’ and going to the Nakuru race circuit. Funnily enough, the cars I had the most enjoyment from, were a 1947 Standard Flying eight drophead, a mildly tuned 1959 Frogeye Sprite, and a very modified Ford Anglia. None were fast by todays standards, but they all provided endless entertainment in their own ways. Many other memories. Now I’d better decide whether I go shopping in my Skoda Yeti, or take the 940cc Moto Guzzi ? :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m surprised that a 2002 fits along the embankment when driven sideways!

1 Like

We started in Bonhill Street, EC2. Not quite sideways, but definitely tail happy before and after we turned off the embankment, and very fast considering the location. The fact that it all felt very controlled and safe speaks volumes. I cannot remember our destination, but I do recall that when we stopped I could hardly speak, and he was smiling from ear to ear. It gave me a taste for high speed driving / riding, continuous training, and motor sport, that I have never lost.

1 Like