History in the Making

The obvious one is that everyone is (by today’s standards) “thin”.

OH and I were talking about it this morning. We are eating to keep our weight to what it was when we left school in the 1960s. Having put on weight in the intervening years, we’re now (in our seventies) back to what we consider to be our “normal” weight - what we weighed as late teenagers.

We reflected on the fact that our parents’ and grandparents’ weights did not change throughout their adult lives. They knew what a “normal” weight was. We were fortunate, we grew up in the 1950s and so we have a benchmark for what our own weight should be and any photo of a group of people from as late as the 1950s, possibly 1960s, would show people not that much different in size from your photo .

These days, someone who is a teenager already has no idea what their “normal” weight should be - tragically.

1 Like

That’s a good benchmark… my aviation medical examiner mentioned this at every examination but in particular the weight in my late teens to early 20’s and suggested that as the target to maintain. Beyond that, concerns could be raised if not corrected.

1 Like

My experience was different - I was horribly overweight as a teenager. Part of this was my mother’s concept of what constituted “proper” meals combined with her fear of the unhealthiness of dieting, so to counter that, she kept giving us big portions. As for all the homemade cakes - well :roll_eyes:

I stayed big until my mid twenties when I got an interesting job and completely forgot about cakes and snacks. The weight dropped off me and stayed off. I’m not thin but am not fat either and that is fine :smiley:

As a slightly amusing corollary to that - if you are very overweight and then lose it, stretch marks become rather obvious. I went for a work medical and the doctor asked me how many children I had. “None” I replied. “Are you sure?” she said :rofl:

4 Likes

Should have taken that up with HR, how dare they say such things.

I lived just off Market for a number of years so it holds a very special place in my heart. Fascinating to see it back then. It’s still a very special place in its own way of course, while ‘Silicon Valley’ gets all the noise around places like Menlo Park and Cupertino there are a huge number of the worlds biggest tech companies based right there on Market from Twitter to Twitch, Salesforce, Square, Instagram (unless it’s now based with Facebook), Twilio, Zendesk and so many more. It’s a shame the last 5 or so years have been so incredibly tough for San Francisco because it’s really a very unique and extraordinary place.

High-tech is extraordinary in America?

That, I find, is America’s main problem - this constant fascination for the “next new thing”.

Aint no way to live a life …

No. I’ve no idea what in my comment led you to think that was what I was suggesting.

If you think that’s America’s main problem I’d politely suggest you’re not paying attention. Their obsession with God, and their adherence to a deeply twisted, manipulated version of God, along with their attempts to spread that across the world, seems like a much bigger problem to me, the obsession with carrying deadly weapons on their person and using them any time someone coughs loudly or looks at them funny for another. Their obsession with a handful of people holding the majority of their wealth, and so the majority of the power and influence is another. All of which are things that are problems very firmly rooted in the past, nothing to do with “the next new thing”.

If you say so. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Not sure that I can continue this conversation about the USA in the early 1900s for the time being. The devastating news about what is happening in Afganistan is just awful, particularly for girls and women!

Don’ t want to get into a rant about religiously pervese and stupid old Taliban men waging war on women, because they are women - because Taliban men cannot control their lust - and blame women for arousing it.