Home diy in uk (tools)

Hi all, need some help here!

Live In france (uk national) moved here lock stock and barrel 8yrs ago.

Mum of 78 wants me to do some work on her house in the uk and need to take tools back (bought in uk 8+ yrs ago)

I’m going round and round with hmrc about declarations, temporarily exporting, personal goods etc etc. No one knows their arse from their elbow!

Has, Anyone! Had any experience since brexit on this subject? Pulling my hair out now!

Many many thanks for any advice large or small

I took a TV back a couple of weeks ago. My car was checked at Roscoff but I was just waved through at Plymouth after just showing my passport. I made no declarations at all. When I returned I brought a powered grass collector, old stove, chemical toilet, fishing rods, spirit levels and other tools. Plymouth just asked about knives, guns and drugs and checked in the car. Border guard in France checked my papers but never looked in the car. Again I didn’t make any declarations. I had made a list just in case - the items had been left behind when we moved last December. My car has French plates. I would suggest you make a list and if asked explain what you are doing.

1 Like

Thankyou very much for your reply, that’s very interesting and will make a list.

Another concern is we are taking a 6 Myrtle trailer and bringing back a 2nd hand kitchen and bench saw bought on eBay (totalling £700)

We will get checked for that I’m sure and don’t mind paying the tax and import duty but don’t want to pay tax or duty on the tools we originally took from from to uk that we will be bringing back!

No one officially can give us any guidance so totally left in the dark!

Will post the outcome so others know the pit falls and hoops but would love any experiences people have endured so far

My advice, Don’t feed the trolls!
Some numb nut is always going to get involved if you are stupid enough to involve them.

2 Likes

My mate last week took a picture of the tools he was taking back last week, in plain view in his car boot parked in front of his town Mairie, back to the UK with him along with a list last week :yum::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

As they say in The Army “Never volunteer - especially information”. As others have said, have something ready that would answer the question, should it be asked.

2 Likes

Hi there,

im glad I found this conversation. I’m off to Britany with my dad the beginning of next month to do some work on the house. Im bringing tools with me some of which I recently purchased. Would you see a problem here? I did see on one website that its ok to bring power tools over as long as they’re coming back with you. (pay no tax I take it ) ?
Anyway just wondering how your encounter with the customs went ? hope alls well.
many thanks

James

I transported a light aircraft early on in the year, it was in plain sight on a trailer. The guys in Ireland only wanted to know how fast, how high single or two seater. In France (cherbourg) the guy stopped me and looked at it, thumbs up and waived me through no questions asked.
Like someone here said"dont feed the trolls" or just give your name, rank and number.

Hi All,
An update …

Did all the paperwork for the tools leaving France and to be returned … arrived at Caen, lots of vehicles being checks but not us (even though we had a large metal tool chest on the trailer)

Not checked at all in Portsmouth and even stopped to ask customs but they weren’t bothered.

Return journey back to France next week so will update again

Not sure we will be so lucky on the return journey so keep your fingers crossed for us

2 Likes