Home made bread recipes

I made a careful note of what flour combinations I used for these three today but I can't remember which is which!

They are 50/50 - T150 and T80 + Oats

80/20 - Rye and T80

and

100% Spelt

Which is which do you think?

The top one is really slow to rise

The amount of yeast isn't important, less yeast will just mean a longer proving time. Is your dough doubling in size?

same yeast but all my recipes say 1 tea spoon of yeast so maybe thats the problem all but one recipe says that amount

I used a 5 gram sachet of dehydrated yeast and just a pinch of salt.

Will have to search for the flour not seen any of that type here though i knead by hand and always do in excess of 10 min so its got to be the flour what yeast did you use and how much salt

Hi John

That was 30% spelt and 70% Type 80, and I left it kneading for 10 minutes

James what did you use re flour as my bread is so inconsistant but generally dense

Ah, yeast sachets? I think that's where you've been going wrong.... you can't get really good bread unless you use fresh, live yeast!!

You need to experiement a while, in order to find your perfect ration of yeast and flour, salt in really important too as your bread won't rise satisfactorily unless you put salt in the dough, make sure your yeast has risen before you add the salt though, or you'll "kill" it.

I've been baking bread for years, and my grandparents were bakers, for what it's worth, I can say that if you give the exact same ingredients to two different people, you'll get different bread at the end.

Moreover, even if you think you're doing the exact same thing time after time, you'll see better and better bread. Somehow, you develop a relationship with dough and yeast... probably kneading improves with time too, still, although I'm certainly not the worst baker, I don't think I will ever be VERY good!

Nice, airy bread.

Success, I'm surprised at how light this is, very pleased indeed!

Yes James, it is fluide. We discussed this in a post about pasta a few days ago and since I have been checking and Italian 00 is generally not imported because of the fine French flour being easily available, farine type 65 or T65 is also the same consistency but slightly different quality.

Does anyone know the equivalent to Tipo 00?

Hi again - here a few more thoughts on bread making in a blog post I did a while bach

Our Daily Bread

I know the feeling! well saturday the 27th or that same week on the tuesday or thursday , these are our nights with the least arrivals! Let me know which one is best for you!

Yes would love to Sarah - please let me know when would suit you as I am the Keeper Of The Diary... :)

yes, the 1rst week of the school holidays so from 27th of april as our twins will be on holiday with grand parents! saturday(27th), tuesday or thursday are the best for us!

Love to! Next week is too busy unfortunately, loads of stuff on and Catharine will be away at the end of the week anyway, week after?

our B&B is in St andre de Seignanx (Maison Narbay)12 kms east of Bayonne town hall and the beach, so Peyrehorade being 25/30 mns was very handy! as for the yeast, definitely fresh, around here they all sell cubes in the cake section even our local super U in st Martin de Seignanx sell it and all the careefours in Bayonne, I am sure you can find some in Dax, it does make all the difference with the dried sachets it feels like eating brioche ! with a cube we make 3 breads or 2 brioche.

You should come for aperitif and Carl will show you how he makes bread, next week ?

Sarah answers that one below. I make 100% rye bread occasionally. The 'secret' is to make sure it is very wet. Don't try making it like a white bread flour where the object seems to be to get a dray, floury exterior. With rye simply make sure it is wet enough to not stick on a wooden kneading surface, flour hands well. As Sarah says, get lots of steam in your oven immediately before the bread goes in. I simply boil in the kettle and put it in a tray, straight into the oven and follow with the bread. I much prefer the wood stove to electric oven, but since that is not on in the summer. A good dark bread takes a long time to bake but trial and error.

I sometimes use the Chef and mix it hard and long, but like the hand kneading of habit. OH makes bread too. Tomorrow it will be focaccia with lots of rosemary in it.

Thanks for the tips everyone. The new bio market is fantastic, see what I got.

So how about I use 30% spelt and 70% Type 80 Bise? Extra kneading in the Kitchenaid

Prove it once so I can get one on tonight?