Homemade alcoholic beverages

You are relatively lucky, my mother use to throw out my stuff when I got back from anywhere interesting. Drove me to despair.

1 Like

This was a best of the best down climbing jacket. Mucho dinero. So warm that I could do with just a long sleeve T-shirt under it at 3000m up a mountain in waist deep snow.

2 Likes

I had a fab Moncler one like that, I hid it from my mother.

2 Likes

I am told that a number of the villages near us in the Haut Jura have communal stills. The still in our village, next to the Fruitiere, (double walled copper, wood fired), was neglected by a neighbour who allowed it to boil dry. The quote for repair was over 20000 euros. The commune sued the neighbour. The case still has no resolution some 5 years later. Our neighbours now distill their fruit (mainly prune, but also apple and pear) in a neighbouring village. They tell me that, up to a certain quantity for personal use, no customs payments are due. We have been treated to up to 100 year old bottles laid down by neighbours grandparents! We have been given bottles labelled ‘prune’ and ‘oruneaux’
 all at about 50% proof after their second pass through the still. (we have also been given their home made vin de noix and macvin).

1 Like

Homemade Macvin sounds very appealing!

Gazing out of the window at leafless trees reminds me to make an effort to make some liqueur d’hĂȘtre this year when the leaves unfurl, and not miss the moment.

Well, the travelling still has finally arrived, and after a few days of seeming inactivity, was actually working when we came home from work yesterday evening ! There was quite a crowd as it turns out, the car park in front of the church was full, which is unusual for our village :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like