Homemade bagels!

I used to frequent a pub back in the UK which was next door to a little Jewish deli…I would always get my bagels fresh from there and a mega favourite with the Jewish baker was pickled onions and roll mop herring…sounds yuk but omg it really works especially if the bagel is still warm…ooo want one now…

My booted foot. I think they are very over-rated.

1 Like

Made bagels again recently, so easy and so delicious, I’m back in to baking, more to come!

Here’s a couple of miniature garlic bacon loaves :bread::bread::love_letter:

Anyone baking?.:slight_smile:

Today’s miserable excuse for shortbread…disaster.

2 Likes

I think I need to do a taste test :yum:
Oops, just noticed the date, bagels will be good for door stops :crazy_face:

2 Likes

But how did they taste?

Delicious!!

I made these tonight, a proper 1970s throwback = Chicken Kiev. (Should have started with Prawn Cocktail and finished with Black Forest Gateau washed down with Liebfraumilch for the full 70s effect!).

4 Likes

Blue nun surely!

Why a disaster? I made shortbread on Wednesday, it disappeared the same day so no photograph.
I made it in petticoat tails rather than fingers for once.
100g sugar, 200g salted butter, 300g flour (remove 2 tbs and replace with semolina) were the quantities.
How do you make it?

Exactly same proportions, sometimes with 2tbs swapped for ground almond, or add lemon or orange zest. I think I was dreaming and overworked it, so they are like small rocks. Nice tasting rocks, but still rocks.

1 Like

Better for dunking :coffee:

We made gyoza last night for supper, utterly delicious. Inside: pak choi, chinese mushroom, ginger, garlic, pork all minced together with chives and coriander and a bit of sesame oil and tamari. For the outside we made skins with soft wheat flour water and a bit of sesame oil. Steamed then shallow fried they were fabulous, just as well we made 80…
Gyoza are also called jiaoži or mandu and there are lots of recipes online, they are a bit fiddly but we all have time on our hands now, so why not have a go!:smiley:

2 Likes