Horse adoption papers missing or evasion of regulations

Hi still no responses to the question I had about a false adoption of a retired riding school horse. The horse if sent back to the owner who falsely allowed me to take her on as an adoption but proceeded to evade all responsibility for formalizing the adoption may be destined for the abattoir. So please help me to stop this if you have any advice or suggestions. She has been living on our property for four months and the owner has now said he has lost the adoption papers. I recently discovered that on record she is still registered with the riding school. She has competed several times and these are catalogued. I have been paying for her upkeep and veterinary care. I believed that the owner of the riding school was a reputable person and genuinely cared about this horse. I sent a letter by registered post insisting he made a formal adoption but fear the worst. At the beginning he had given me her Certificate d’ origine with the ‘numero sire’ and history of vaccines. He said the adoption papers would be sorted.
Is there any other way I can takeover ownership? As well as the carnet with identification information I have several vets bills with her name and the ‘numero sire’ alongside my name and address. Could the owner write a letter giving me the right to look after her until the end of day? If I do not have proof of ownership either from him or a proper adoption I have to send her back as I am not insured. I am afraid I have made a mistake and I know I am gullible but at least she is still alive so has for the moment a second chance. Thank you for helping.

Can you look up if there is a local branch of 300 million amis, or the SPA, near you? Both will want to help stop an animal ending up at the abattoir.

Your story is not clear.

It"s not clear if you got a confirmation of sale? from this “owner”. If not why not? You went to far as to get origin certificate etc from this “owner”, for this horse. So why did you not also ensure to receive even a handwritten note signed snd dated confirming “I sold/gave this horse to Fiona…”. Could the owner not know how to write this? (There are some people who don’t know how to write, even today.)

I suggest maybe you write something correct and bring it to him to sign.

For what is needed for law and correct ‘adoption’ in your case, I suggest you ask the vet. Vets know these things (it’s not their job, but they know). Visit the vet in person, you will get more help than phoning. Can the head of the riding school help you to obtain what you need from this “owner”?

I am not sure why you think British people on a forum (or mainly British) would particularly know about the laws and procedures concerning horse adoption in France. Houses, yes. Horses…much more rare.

Are you in touch with any Horse Association or Federation in France who could advise you?

FWIW I would guess technically this horse belongs to you and you are responsible because it lives on your land and you feed it. It has been abandoned to you. I guess this because it’s the case for cats! This was in documentation provided by @david_gillies.

David I know your speciality is cats but can you make any suggestion here ?

PS Thank you for the care and love you are giving this horse.

Hi @fiona_mcclean / not sure if this is resolved but the best horse expert we know is Sharon Wratton at Alloue Equine Rescue can be found on Facebook. If anyone knows the legal situation she will. Very kind and knowledgeable lady.
Best of luck.

2 Likes

Thank you for asking me, I appreciate it. My advice would be to contact a major animal charity. Do NOT go to the local SPA as they will not have the expertise. 30,000,000 d’amis is the one we work with. Email them , they have all the rules and regulations relating to animals plus have Experts in each area. They will respond fairly swiftly and the person responding leaves their name so you know who you are dealing with making it possible to talk on the phone. In a similar vein is there a local or if not a National Equine Society you can make enquiries to? Good luck. If you need more help just ask.

Hi,
Send me a picture of the paperwork you do have and I will tell you what to do. And stay well away from rescue centres run by expats.

2 Likes

And btw, whether are the owner or not has nothing to do with whether you are insured or not!

Thank you so much. It seems that the branch of 300 million amis, could be helpful.
Have good day!