Horseradish root

That’s interesting - I’ve never tried lime leaf. I think it’s a different plant from the standard lime or have I got that wrong? (I’ve currently got a lemon tree in the back room!)

Kaffir lime leaf, Kombava in French. Used for southeast asian cookery. I also have curry leaf for indian cooking.

1 Like

Ah - thought it was something like that. I’ve always relied on the dried ones. Does the plant get very big?

Not if you cook a lot of Thai meals….

3 Likes

I grow ginger and turmeric, they thrive, I bring them in in winter. They like it relatively cosy but the main problems are parasites and cold draughts.

I grate a whole root, then add lemon juice, salt, black pepper and creme fraiche. Keeps maybe a month in the fridge

Etiquette note - know what you’re referring to - it seems innocuous, but don’t ever call it that to a S African - much more offensive than the ‘n’ word!

1 Like

Which is why I just called it lime leaf to start with (my father & family were from southern africa). Apparently this year Waitrose even changed the name they use.

I think N-word, K-word and C-word, and similar slurs, are all equally offensive to those that are implicated. Racism is racism, and not a competition of best and worst.

1 Like

@KarenLot Bought organic ginger root from BioCoop, (so not treated with growth retarder) planted it in shallow pot, put in Polytummel and about 20 weeks later was able to harvest roots which then used with hot home grown chills, garlic, red onions tomatoes to make a v v hot chilli jam, and that’s in Brittany.

2 Likes

Baumaux seems to have a lot of seeds we are used to from the UK…

Yes I have used them and their seeds seem reliable, but a bit pricey……

1 Like

I’ve used them as well but, as you say, they are pricey for seeds (and my experience of using them for things like onion sets was NOT successful :roll_eyes: )

Edit: Thinking about that, I received one of their catalogues a week or so back - must have a good look!

Thank you for the reminder about Baumaux, @Bettina - I’ve just been looking at their catalogue (much easier than searching for things on-line) and found they have Biquinhos - both red and yellow. So pleased as I have had great difficulty finding them in the UK and had to get them from Greece! Not looked in recent years but I’ll definitely be getting some :smiley:

Had a look and now I understand why people ask for cuttings of any plant they like the look of.

Stumped them on acca/feijoa sellowiana - which I suspect would grow excellently here. One day someone will have it :slight_smile:

Well if you are feeling rich…

Er especially as I think you’d need 2 of them, for pollination

Good to know that they exist here though They train like a vine, their fruit is kind of like a xross beteeen guava and mirabelle (well in sugared preserved versions), I adore it but sone plants just don’t turn out

I don’t disagree with your comment about racism, but my reference was nothing to do with ‘competition’ being instead about local differences within a lingua franca. In SA the problematic leaf is sold as ‘Thai lime’ and bought traditionallyby Muslims on the Cape who would have been offended by its usual appellation (originally an arabic term for a ‘non-believer’). Ironically, during Apartheid it became a pejorative term applied to the indigenous (Christian) Africans.

It’s a fascinating and complex subject, for instance one could write a whole book about shifting and differing meaning of the word(s) ‘black’ and ’ Black’ in anglophone sub-Saharan Africa, post-WWII Britain and the USA, though the author probably shouldn’t be a ‘White, heteronormative male’. That’s a trending expression in US academia - see, Wilson, Kirsten, 2021:26/45/46, 114,118,156, 223n42 ! It’s my current and has some good analyses, is but torturously written in US ‘woke’ academic language.

Isn’t this a fine example of how innocent discussion of horse radish and ginger can drift…

…as author of the original post it would be nice to stick with a horticultural theme rather than politics…however ever justified a response is to what was I think was, the innocent use of (as I now I undersand to be but did not know) a slur.

1 Like

I agree, @strudball , and meant to mention that, although you may not need it because of @JaneJones kind offer, BAUMAUX do sell horseradish root. Their current catalogue is well worth a browse as it does also include some powerful chilis, which I know are an interest of yours.

The sun is out, and I plan to wade to the bottom of the garden later this afternoon to check my horseradish pot….

2 Likes