Horseradish root

Does anybody know of a supplier who sells horseradish root by mail order!
Or does a member have some in their garden and who would be prepared to post me roots. I cannot find any locally. Of course all costs would be re-embursed

The only place I could find it, John, was this one, but Iā€™ve no idea what they are like as Iā€™ve never used them.

Canā€™t stand the stuff myself or Iā€™d be more than happy to send you some :smiley:

Use ginger for figging, horseradish is far too hot.*

*Be aware that Googling the above term may return NSFW/NSFL results.

Pretty I saw packets of raifort seeds in the garden shop in the market in Figeac this summer. I adore mustard with horseradish. Next summer I think Iā€™ll get some seeds if youā€™re having that much trouble finding it

Ground is frozen right now, but pm me your address and I will happily send you some sprouting roots in the spring. (Editā€¦.I think I have some in a pot I could knock outā€¦)

As long as you realise that once planted you will have it for life! That, comfrey and Jerusalem artichokes require endless control to keep them in their placeā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a wonderfully generous offer and Iā€™d very much like to take advantage of it. Thereā€™s an area of the garden where it can run riot. You can contact me through https://tinyurl.com/5y8pr24w

You probably know this already, but some may not,that one can very easily make a good horseradish sauce by simply combining finely grated (preferably Microplaned?) horseradish with crĆØme fraĆ®che.

Good with roast beef, but also an effective clearer of sinuses.

[quote=ā€œJaneJones, post:5, topic:37786ā€]
Ground is frozen right now,

I spent this afternoon quickly pruning our noisetiers which have suddenly sprouted masses of
catkins (north Aveyron).

1 Like

We grate horseradish, and pop it in a jar with a bit of white vinegar, which takes away the eye watering fumes, and then take a spoonful as needed to add creme fraiche.

It will probably be a few weeks before I can lift anyā€¦.

Thanks very much, even though I sort of welcome the ā€˜eye watering fumesā€™ ( like chili aficionados) your solutionā€™s interesting (would lemon juice be a lighter useful alternative?) and your offerā€™s very much appreciated - I look forward to it.

Difficult to appreciate how it can be so much colder in some other parts of Franc

@JaneJones ā€¦hi thanks for your kind offerā€¦hope you have enough to go round, (i asked first!!) and Iā€™ll have to message you my address, I donā€™t understand the tinyurl.com world !

We grate horseradish, and pop it in a jar with a bit of white vinegar, which takes away the eye watering fumes, and then take a spoonful as needed to add creme fraiche.

Thatā€™s what I used to do in my past life and find the shop stuff hereā€¦and in UK ā€¦not really strong enough

https://tinyurl.com/5y8pr24w Is just a contact form, you open the link and send Mark a message.

Handy tip for anyone wanting to grow horseradish. To prevent it spreading everywhere, get a couple of car tyres, plastic sheet in bottom , fill with earth, plant and forget till needed. I have been doing this for many years.

3 Likes

Well, ainā€™t that a quincyquonce ! I was just yesterday asking @AngelaR about horseradish - canā€™t be doing with smoked mackerel without it - and tartare sauce with more zap! than the weedy stuff from Carre4. For the latter she suggests adding more capers, which are the source of the zap! it seems.

By 15 Jan I will have a home with a garden. I am no gardener and fortunately itā€™s v low maintenance but there are one or two food plants Iā€™d like to grow and h/radish is one. Thereā€™s lots of good info and recipes on line, of course. It seems that itā€™s the time one waits before adding vinegar that controls the pungency.

I had a stern lesson on the difference between freshly made h/radish and stuff out of a jar.

Final lunch, on a Sunday, at the once magnificent Sharrow Bay Hotel, Ullswater, Cumbria, before heading back to London after a photo shoot. The Sunday lunch was roasts, of course, and with my beef I lashed on the h/radish as per stuff from a jar.

ā€œHmmm - great h/radish! Got some bite, there!ā€

An hour or so later we were out on Windemere doing shots of one of the wonderful collection of steam-powered vessels from the museum there. A powerful urge for a pee came on. ā€œYes, in the lakeā€, said the owner of the museum, ā€œI do when I take this out fishingā€.

Five mins later, same again - and again and again and again ā€¦ awful.

My boss was very hacked off that he now had to do the drive back to London, me being in a state of collapse on the back seat.

Moral : Fresh horseradish sauce is a very powerful diuretic.

1 Like

Lived in Cumbria for fifteen years, and am familiar with horseradish, Sharrow Bay and Windemere, but have never previously come across them all in the same paragraph, let alone in the company of ā€˜diureticā€™.

Well done!

I bought a horesradish root on ebay from Roumaina for about 6 euros last winter. Planted it as instructed and it grew like buggery. Harvested it a few weeks ago and have a total of about 60 to 70cm of root. I froze the root in sections. I whiz mine up in a small food blender and then add vinegar. The vinegar is very important as the horseradish will get hotter and hotter if you donā€™t add it. The vinegar stops the process. I find adding the vinegar about 60s after whizzing is about right. I just use the mix as is without any other ingredients.

Speaking of roots, does anyone know does ginger thrive if grown here?

Whereā€™s ā€œhereā€? Big differences in climate in France.

Northern Lot.
Summers up to around 35C, occasionally warmer
Winters formerly dry, last 3 years ridiculously wet

1 Like

Iā€™ve grown it successfully in the UK, but indoors :smiley:

I have ginger, turmeric, lime leaf, and lemon grass indoorsā€¦ā€¦they go outside in the summer and come back in once temp drops to around 12 degrees.

2 Likes