How do you receive Bank text verification codes when there’s no mobile signal?

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? If not I’m offering to try and solve it!
I know that WiFi Calling can help but not everyone has it. For over 30 years I’ve run a UK telecoms company and in my spare time I like solving impossible problems. As an example the last impossible question was “How do I access the entire UK internet from anywhere" (the answer is www.uksofa.eu).
Lock-down is beginning to get boring, so If there’s not yet a solution please, please, let me know.

If the code is just a number then it may be possible to listen to the sms message sent to a landline.

Michael, Yes that’s precisely the problem. I’m not looking to send full text to voice messages.
It’s just the normal 4 digit number that a bank now sends for second level authentication purposes . If you don’t receive it you cannot confirm your ID and the payment can’t go through. It’s a real pain.

My iPad receives text messages sent to my phone when it is attached to WiFi, no need for a phone signal. Perhaps that’s something that’s unique to Apple devices.

I agree, one should be able to opt out of two factor verification but I think legislation prevents banks from doing so. Though it is being taken to ridicules levels by non financial sites too. There’s obviously an IT consultant led (not the first time) to peddle unnecessary “improvement” to systems and processes.

For most financial transactions I get my code using my debit card and the PINSentry machine provided by the bank. I’ve got two, one from Barclays and the other from my French bank. If the PINSentry machine is not to hand the bank sends me the code by sms.

1 Like

Before we had our new 4G tower for the village it was a matter of driving to the top of the hill where there was actually a phone signal.

You could use a ‘numero jétable’. Not sure how practical/secure it is though.

David. Thanks for that. I use it as well. It’s a common system and relies on your iPhone linking to WiFi calling through your internet when no mobile signal is available. It’s helpful yet if you don’t have WiFi Calling and there’s no mobile signal the problem remains. My aim is to get the text message converted to voice and sent to a home number.

Fleur. An interesting service yet regrettably no good for this. They all provide you with an alternative to your normal mobile number. You can then receive messages to that new number. The way to read the messages is normally on-line. It’s intended to stop SPAM messages being sent to your normal phone. Real issue is there’s no security so not good as a verification tool, but good to know about it. Thanks

I agree. From what I read, the numbers are re-usable and so someone totally unrelated could get your verification text :thinking: For a banking application, this could be a quite serious breach of security.
Personally, would not touch it with a bargepole.

It doesn’t. I have never linked my iPhone to WiFi calling.

Sorry, must be lock down or brain fade! You’re quite right, You will be using iCloud with associated devices so a text to your iPhone also appears in messages on a MacBook - or other linked device

1 Like

OK!! It was the security aspect that worried me.

1 Like

2 Likes

Which one was that …I worked at Kcom aka Kingston Comms in Hull famous for white phone boxes, only area of UK that BT had no license for.