How good a job has Bojo and his team done so far

The change to the regulation concerning the over 60’s who now have to take a written and oral French exam just after Brexit makes one wonder just how much the French Government really want Brits here.
I will not become a French citizen now as Jim could never pass that test in a million years, yet our friends here say his French has come on in leaps and bounds. Also, he just doesn’t have the ‘ear’.
Please no comments about other countries and their requirements, we are talking just about France here.

Why do you think it should be different for uk nationals?

Because people had been here for many years and then to change it just after Brexit makes it smell very unsavoury and petty.

1 Like

Has it been changed just for Brits?

If not the timing vis-à-vis Brexit is likely to be coincidental.

In any case I thought the prevailing view on SF was that one should work towards a good level of French, whether one wants to take citizenship or not.

1 Like

I think it was more to do with the moral panic over religious terrorism and the ‘great replacement’ (or whatever the right-wing know-nothings call it).

EDIT - Oh and yes it applies to everybody, not just Brits.

1 Like

All I see is the state applying the rules nothing more nothing less. Because you don’t like it is hardly an excuse .

2 Likes

It was the timing after Brexit that makes it so obnoxious.

I know that we Brits think the world revolves around Brexit but have you considered that for most Europeans it doesn’t and it is likely the French would have changed the language requirements anyway.

1 Like

We might be heading back to ‘no (trade) deal’ anyway…

Yes I posted the link in the “Irish protocol issues” thread.

It’s almost as if we are deliberately trying to antagonise the EU at present.

1 Like

Boris promised the impossible. It was typical of his gung ho attitude. I can’t say positive thinking, because it was totally reckless.

What happens if you have dual citizenship already and want French citizenship?

Shouldn’t be an issue - when we say “France allows dual citizenship”, that’s not literally “just two” - it’s just that France does not require that you relinquish any previous citizenship - unlike Germany.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be a problem, I’ve dual British and Irish citizenship and I quite fancy a hat trick.

It was Brexit that made in necessary.

I really don’t think it had anything to do with brexit John.

1 Like

If we decide to settle I think it’s only French inheritance law that might sway me away from attempting to gain citizenship. Saying that,I still have much to learn. I think I would like the security. Brexit has shown how hard it is to know what’s ahead.

Does citizenship affect the application of French inheritance law? My understanding is that as residents we are bound by it anyway.

I haven’t said, nor, I think, have I implied , that people fret about their reasons for moving.

Germany doesn’t always require you to relinquish other citizenships, there are cases where you can have German plus other citizenship. For example:
Wenn ein Kind einen deutschen und einen ausländischen Elternteil hat und in Deutschland geboren ist, hat das Kind automatisch die deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft und die des ausländischen Elternteils, sofern das Zweitland auch doppelte Staatsbürgerschaften erlaubt .20 févr. 2020

1 Like