How good a job has Bojo and his team done so far

I didn’t express myself clearly.
UK people who have opted for French citizenship and are disgruntled with Macron aren’t statistically significant.
UK citizens who have kept their UK citizenship and are suffering from stuff which is a direct result of brexit (ie a decision by the government which is ultimately responsible for them) well, it is a pity and we probably feel a bit sorry for them but it isn’t our problem. And they can’t vote here so nobody is going to bother with them politically.

1 Like

I’ve created 6½K posts - which one in particular :question:

French people = eg me :blush:
I’m often critical of the government, but probably not for the same reasons as British people living here.

Had me going for a minute Michael :smile:

2 Likes

He never does - just like someone else I can mention (but won’t) :wink:

Fair enough - if you mean only that there are not large numbers of such individuals. But French citizens (including naturalised Brits) disgruntled with Macron presumably do exist in significant numbers.

Splitting hairs I know, but I presume that you mean “have not taken French citizenship” - France allows dual citizenship so you don’t have to revoke your UK citizenship if you take French.

Yes, it is a bit sad that a sizeable group is disenfranchised but I suppose you are right - they have no political voice in France, the same is true of lots of groups of non-naturalised immigrants though, wherever they have settled.

Ronald, do you really think that people fret that much about it? Surly that level of doubt and insecurity would be impossible to live with. One makes a decision, that’s it. Revisting the decision continuously would very silly IMO.

4 Likes

This is a very cynical view Véronique. I hope you’re not becoming a tad jaded?
There are politicians who want to do the right thing even when there are no votes in it - even Macron, who I think is almost as cynical as they come, has sometimes at least told the truth - for example in relation to France’s former African colonies, where there are no direct votes.

1 Like

Dinner party rules…I can divert onto trouser lengths :slightly_smiling_face: (far more interesting to me than Boris). I too think that Macron seems to wear his trousers a bit short quite often, they hardly break on the shoe at all. However I was told firmly that this is appropriate for short men and makes them look taller :woman_shrugging:t3:.

Sorry whatever your name is.

1 You seem sadly bitter for some reason.
2 I’ve no idea what you are rambling on about (or why).
3 Maybe you should have listened to him instead of examining his shoes.
4 Not giving your real name just reenforces my view that you lack courage and integrity.
5 I thought you weren’t going participate here?

What for you is “speculation” is for me a topic of debate and discussion. No more than that. I’m not sure why you refer to a “hidden motive”. People move to live in another part of the same country to a different country for many reasons.
Graham Lees, the one suggesting that the UK is hell.

1 Like

Putting it bluntly…if the French gov made it easier quicker and maybe more of us would seek citizenship. I would but whilst French people are welcoming to us and are generally great the gov doesn’t make it easy!..but nor does the UK gov do it either for other Europeans

2 Likes

Yes, I did mean who haven’t taken French citizenship. I am lucky as I have had both since birth.

I struggle with this - I cannot understand the reasoning.

Yes it does, much easier, quicker and cheaper to obtain citizenship in the UK than here.

Site rules are that you give your real name. Please adjust your profile accordingly.
@james @cat

1 Like

That isn’t right my citizenship was under 500€ ,the cost in the UK is o ver £1000

I think Tim must have been confusing another UK residency or ‘settled’ status with citizenship - the latter is much more difficult and expensive in the UK than France. The ‘life in the UK’ test in particular has been widely ridiculed - most existing UK citizens could not pass it - France’s Livret du Citoyen is straightforward by comparison.

How much it costs

It costs £1,330 to apply.

You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.

1 Like

‘Life in the UK’ test example questions - could you do it?

When did the first Christian communities appear in Britain?

• 4th and 5th centuries
  • 1st and 2nd centuries
  • 3rd and 4th centuries
  • 2nd and 3rd centuries

Who built the Tower of London?

• Henry VIII
  • Henry VII
  • William the Conqueror
  • Oliver Cromwell

Which Two British film actors have recently won Oscars?

• Jacky Stewart
  • Colin Firth
  • Tilda Swinton
  • Leonardo DiCaprio
1 Like