How laws are made and put into practice in France

There is all sorts of interest in the Immigration Bill which may impact many. Such as the stiffer conditions to bring a family member to France, the longer time of residence before being eligible for various bits of social aid, and the removal of automatic right to naturalisation for children born in France before age 16 (when they have to apply). And of course the second home non-visa.

So here is a piece in English which some might find of interest on how laws here are actually made.

6 Likes

Thanks, Jane. My knowledge of the legal system and politics in France isn’t where I’d like it to be so this is very appreciated.

1 Like

Quoting (loosely) from one of my favourite TV shows - The West Wing - 'There are two things about which you don’t want to know how they are made : laws and sausages.

2 Likes

As ever, Jane, an excellent contribution! Thank you, and may I be the first to wish you & yours a better, healthy, and happy New Year! :star_struck:
Maybe, for Brits and others, it is the way ‘the law’ is interpreted and used in France that is more pertinent. Because - in my experience at least - the Code Civile, which embodies the legislation generated in the way your article describes so well, is actually only a guide for the court process. Each notaire, avocat, judge, Tribunal, and Court has flexibility in applying the relevant Articles - and precedents. Court proceedings are not, therefore, adversarial - the two (or more) sides submit their case (and their interpretation of the Articles of the Code) in written form. There may be no personal appearance by the avocats in front of a Judge. The Judge/Tribunal then takes as long as they want to reach a considered decision. This system often takes years.
For Brits involved in court proceedings in France it is vital that they understand this. Basic concepts are embedded in the process - but after that, the Tribunal has to decide the merits of the case, using the Code Civile as a guide. That’s how ‘precedents’ are developed.

2 Likes

Code civil :slightly_smiling_face: like trésor public, it’s masculine :slightly_smiling_face: