How long can I stay without becoming tax resident

Dave… if such folk cannot prove Residency here in France… (which involves far more than just being here…) whether for 6 months or whatever…
they will not get the French CdS…

I know those who hop back to UK so they can still receive Tax Credits (or whatever they are called…) as well as other benefits…

this will be knocked on the head very soon… and rightly so in my book…

4 Likes

You have until July 2021 to apply, but you have to have established residency by the end of December. And if you apply for a WA carte de sejour and are successful you are then a French resident and must be part of French tax and health system… You can’t have a carte de sejour and remain UK tax resident as paying French tax is a pre-requisite for getting a carte de sejour. If you want to remain a UK resident then you must apply for long stay visas.

The fact that people used to float around Europe with their laptops in the past is no longer relevant. The UK chose to leave Europe so you no longer have the right to live and work in Europe without authorisation. It may be that people will continue to live under the radar as they used to. But if detected penalties can be severe especially for breaching labour laws.

2 Likes

Sure lots of people used to live like that ’ under the radar. These people will struggle to get a new carte de sejour as you have to provide proof of paying french tax to get one.

4 Likes

I think you may be talking to people who believe in unicorns.
If they spend less than 6 months in France they are unlikely to be given residence permits since they do not meet France’s residence criteria.

2 Likes

I am finding more and more folk who simply do not understand what Brexit means/will result in… amongst my own family and friends in UK…

There are still too many who tell me “I’ll be alright, Stella”… “I can still come over as and when I like”… :roll_eyes: :thinking: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yes. It’s quite stunning that 4 years after the referendum people still don’t understand that the UK has left the European Union!! I fear for January when the full realisation comes re no trade agreement.

5 Likes

Really appreciate all the quick responses! It seems like the ‘digital nomad’ concept is still not well known/understood in France, and with the number of international remote workers skyrocketing, governments will need to catch up soon. Several countries are starting to offer ‘digital nomad’ visas as it is a way to get relatively well-paid people spending money in the local economy, without taking jobs away from locals. It makes complete logical sense (assuming not a burden on health system obviously). So even it is against the rules currently, it is actually a net benefit to the country (and from what I’ve read, when other countries attempted to enforce they quickly dropped the legal action due to the economic impact of discouraging remote work).

We have lots of remote workers… but they pay their taxes and social charges to France… in the correct manner…

I do hope UK folk are not hoping to bully France… into accepting things “their way”

1 Like

I’m with the view that people are seeing unicorns. I suspect that far from being more open with employment law many countries over the immediate future will be doing everything in their power to protect their own workforce. Governments want to be reelected and the single most important issue every government now faces is keeping people in work.
This has nothing to do with the “digital concept” and international remote workers skyrocketing and everything to do with needing to have locals employed and taxes collected.

3 Likes

That is true. But right now it doesn’t exist in France. The nearest equivalent is the visa talent. The syndicalisation and protection of workers’ rights in France remains strong and there is huge resistance to anything that will undermine it. And should it develop across Europe (which surely it will) the UK us likely to be excluded as no longer in the EU.

You can ignore the rules of course, but be aware you are doing so.

1 Like

Agree with keeping people in work, and in order to do that, you need people spending money. And with the entire tourism industry on its knees, what better way than encouraging digital nomads. 4 countries I know of have recently created a new visa just for this reason, surely makes sense? Remote workers are not stealing any local jobs, and are putting money back into the local economy

@JaneJones that may be the best option, to just ignore the rules. Of course would not want to do this if it hurt anyone or was ‘immoral’, but assuming I have health insurance, it seems I would be helping the local economy

Dave that is a very anglo saxon view. Many economies are supported not by consumerism but by the contributions of the country’s workers and businesses. Which requires those workers and businesses to be registered and contributing.
It is very good of you to want to come and spend spend spend in France to save the economy but perhaps foolishly Mr Macron thinks he knows best how to run his country and he likes people who come here to obey French law.

3 Likes

Ha ha… @DaveCh

I reckon you are now winding us up…

of course not… as well you know… :roll_eyes: :wink: :thinking:

Now, having thrashed that topic…

do you have a serious question to raise… ???

1 Like

Just be aware that after January it is likely that your passport will be checked on entry and exit. Post end transition you have the right to stay in the Schengen area for only 90 days in 180. EU rules don’t give a stuff about HMRC rules. When in Rome and all that.

1 Like

Feel free

Just don’t expect to be allowed to stay if the French authorities notice.

TBH I would not be surprised if they do notice, certainly arrivals after 1.1.21 may well be asked to provide an address, proof of return ticket and funds and purpose of visit - once your 90 days are up you might find a gendarme knocking on the door.

2 Likes

You could try it, we would consider you were evading tax :blush: if you are physically in France when you work then when you are paid you pay taxes, social contributions etc in France.

1 Like

I am told prison food isn’t that bad.

Why are you putting immoral in inverted commas? Immoral is the correct word for sneakily avoiding social charges etc.

2 Likes

If you overstay nobody will knock on your door but it will be flagged up at border control when you leave the country. You may be fined and you may be refused entry if you try to enter Schengen again in the future. That is what border control is there for, to check comings and goings.

1 Like

Just how sure are you about that Geoff?

So far Brits have been able to come and go as they please as EU member state nationals - that will change.

At present to enter France if you are not an EU citizen you need, in addition to a valid passport a return ticket1, proof of where you will be staying in France such as a hotel reservation and proof of adequate funds during your stay - I do not know how stringently France checks these for 3rd nation citizens at present but they will be quite within their rights to do so for Brits entering France from next year. I imagine if they do so it will be quite a shock to some.

Electronic systems make it very easy to flag up someone who has exceeded their rolling 90 days per 180 limit and the authorities will have the address of a door on which to knock.

1] Actually I think proving you have the resources to buy one is sufficient.

1 Like

Frankly… it’s much too hot for this… and I don’t want to play any more…

We’ve said what we’ve said…

and the OP will be laughing his socks off I reckon…

let’s call it a day folks… no need to prolong the agony.

If someone does something illegal… they may never get found out… or they might, indeed, be found out.

I can’t live like that… but if someone chooses to do so… that is their prerogative…

(but heaven help 'em if I find 'em… definitely off my Christmas Card List…)

2 Likes